Dermatology Expert Forum
Rash associated with fever

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Rash associated with fever

I am an adult female who two days ago experienced a 102 fever and broke out with a rash -large patches raised red with no blisters all over my entire legs and upper arms.  There is none on my torso or face.  The fever went away in 24 hours, the rash does not itch that bad, but is still very prominent.  My nine year old son had a fever for three days last week with a sore throat.  He had no rash.  My doctor is on vacation and I don't want to bother the exchange since I feel much better.  What could this be (I also have had all the childhood diseases - measles, roseola, etc.)?  What can I do to clear it up?  I also have not had a rash except for poison ivy since childhood and have no known alllergies.

Thank you - this is a wonderful service and I like the way you answer questions in a reassuring way.

Happy New Year,
Paulette
Paulette:

Thank you, and thank you also for asking another question about which I can be reassuring.  In the context of fever and a child who also had fever, your rash is almost certainly viral.  Some people get a rash with a virus and others don't.  It doesn't matter which virus, since it obviously isn't one of the "namedA" ones you list.  If it doesn't itch, there's nothing you need to do.  It should go away in 2-4 days.  In the unlikely event it doesn't, show a doctor, though I doubt you'll need to.

Happy New Year.

Dr. Rockoff
apparently this rash is not some thing only your family is experiancing, one of the girls I work with had it and was hospitalised for two weeks they ran every test they could think of and still can't find the cause. My children and husband now have some sort of rash it seems to be contagious?