Dermatology Expert Forum
Rash from Neosporin

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Rash from Neosporin
I burned myself cooking 2 weeks ago. The burns themselves weren't too bad because I attended to them quickly. I applied a burn relieving gel to them immediately to relieve the pain and to stop the burn progression. The next day, I started to apply neosporin to keep it from getting infected. Instead, I broke into a huge rash everywhere the neosporin was applied. I ended up going to the hospital because the rash was so bad and was prescribed prednisone, famotidine, and cephalexin. Everything was healing well once i started the medication about a week ago, but now it seems the wounds are infected again because they are pussing really badly. I finished taking the prednisone and famotidine and still have another day left of taking the cephalexin. I keep aquaphor on the affected ares to protect my skin but I was wondering if there was anything else I can do to get rid of the infection because it seems the medication isn't doing anything. Please help!
Neosporin can cause an allergic rash, and that is probably what you had.  I cannot, however, make any sense of the swollen rash you say you have now.  It is almost certainly inflamed, not infected, and perhaps you need more anti-inflammatory treatment to suppress what might be a flare of the allergic reaction, even though you've stopped using the neosporin.  In any case, you need to contact not a doctor on the internet but the doctors who have been taking care of you in person.  Please do this at once.

Thank you.

Dr. Rockoff