Dermatology Expert Forum
Rash in Armpit Area

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Rash in Armpit Area

I've never had a rash nor an allergic reaction in my life but about 4 days ago I started noticing my right armpit was becoming irritated.  About 3 days ago I noticed it getting red and rashy looking.  The rash is near where the pectorial and arm meet and it's got small red bumps inside the rash area.

I've uploaded 2 pictures to show what they look like.  I'll probably go to a doctor when I get back off temporary duty as I'm in a different state from home but I'm concerned and I'd like to have an idea what I'm looking at.  Before I left I started using some cream my son's doctor prescribed to him for a rash.  It's Triamcinolone Acetonide .025%.  I realize I probably shouldn't use a cream not prescribed to me but it seemed to work for his rash and was pretty gentle on his infant skin.  The cream seems to have caused some of the redness to disappear from the rash.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, here are the link to the pictures:

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg277/jjh_33/100_0066.jpg
http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg277/jjh_33/100_0064.jpg

I kept them very large for better detail.  Thank you.
I think I detect a cluster of blisters at the top of the photo.  That would make shingles (zoster) possible or possibly herpes simplex, regular herpes, though that is less likely.  I think you should see a doctor right away.  This is not because shingles or herpes is very serious, but because you need to know what this is so you can be treated for it, and so you'll know whether you're contagious.  Go tomorrow.

Take care.

Dr. Rockoff
You were right Doc.  I went to the doctor today and he said it was Shingles.  He prescribed 500mg Famvir 3x a day for 7 days.  That sound reasonable?

Thanks so much for your help.