Rash in Groin Area

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Rash in Groin Area

I recently had protected intercoarse with a female rumored to have genital herpes. I asked her if she had the virus she said she didn't. A month Later i am developing a rash in the upper thigh area by the scrotum, by rash i mean bumps(pimples) similar to ingrown hairs. I am worried if i have herpes. I play hockey 6-7 days a week for 2 hours i day, at first i suspected it as simply being jock itch, it burned in the soared areas, usually i immediatly treat it, but this time i let it go for a couple of days because i was busy with school. What concers me is that it developed these bumps that i have never had before. My usually treatment for what i like to call "jock itch" i do not know if this is exactly what it is is Preparation H. I know it sounds funny but i apply it to the burning area and the next day it is gone. The Bumps are slowly fading away. Once after applying preparation H the burning went away but the bumps remained.  nonetheless i am still concerned. My qyestion is is it herpes? if not does anyone know what it is? and do i need to see a specialist about this?
It doesnt sound like herpes, rather sounds like follicle blockage (folliculitis) along with some irritation from friction or sweating.  Try cleaning the area with some hibiclens and use powder to keep the area dry.  If that doesnt work, an over the counter topical like bacitracin or (if fungal caused) lotrimin may work.  Even if the woman had herpes, the chances of you contracting the virus from her is near zero (protected exposure).  On top of that, most initial outbreaks affect the shaft, not the thigh area or leg.  Dont worry about it.  I would still see a derm about possibly getting a topical to treat the folliculitis.