Dermatology Expert Forum
Rash in Upper Thigh/Groin Area

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Rash in Upper Thigh/Groin Area

I have a rash which has developed this summer in my upper thigh/groin area (where the legs meet the abdomen).  There are reddish blotches on the perimeter of the rash and then its more solid red in the middle. It goes from the front of my thigh to the back (by my anus) but it is not on my penis, scrotum etc.  It sometimes itches/burns, but it is generally not too intense.  I thought maybe it was jock itch, so I applied Lotrimin Ultra a couple of days ago which now seems to have made it worse.  I had something similar a couple of summers ago and it eventually went away.  Do you have an idea what this is and what I can do to treat it?
It could be fungus, chafing, psoriasis, or one of a few other non-serious but annoying conditions.  I suggest you show it to a doctor.  Meantime, you can use the Lotrimin--I am reasonably sure it has just made it temporarily redder, not worse.  Whether or  not you respond to it will make it easier for the doctor you see to tell what it is and what to do about it.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
Look up "tinea versicolor" on a google search.  
It can usually occur during the summer months, it is
a skin fungus.  Good luck, sounds awful.  Don't scratch.