Dermatology Expert Forum
Rash in bend of arms

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Rash in bend of arms

I have a rash that appears in the bend of my arms, mostly my right arm.  The seems to only appear after I have been exposed to the sun, either by being outside or through the window of my car.  This rash only appears on my arm, never spreading any furhter than 4-5 inches up or down.  It resembles poison oak or ivy, so I've been told, in the on set, but, changes to look more like a giant ring worm before disappering.  I have been told that it is a fungus and I have had success with Lotrimin type creams, but, it has reccured every spring/summer for about 5 years.  It is beginning to take longer for Lotrimin to work.  Do you think that this is a fungus caused by the sun, and do you have any suggestions on how I can rid myself of it forever?  Oh yes, it itches immensley.  Thank you for your time.
Kelly:

The location and intermittent appearance suggest ot fungus but eczema.  This condition does just what you describe: appear in the folds of one or more arms or legs, itch, and go away for no particular reason.  Chances are, the Lotrimin isn't doing more than just moisturizing.

I suggest you make a doctor's visit and get some prescription-strength cortisone to use when you need it.  Also a definitive diagnosis.  But fungus--not likely.

best.

Dr. R
A related discussion, Same Exact Issue was started.