Rash in vaginal area

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Rash in vaginal area

I have had a rash in my vaginal area (usually not directly on my vagina) on and off for about the last 10 months. It will be there for about 4 days, leave for a few days, then reappear. It is itchy sometimes and generally irritating, but not painful. I am always looking for blisters, fearing that it may be herpes, however, I have never seen any blisters at all. It is generally just red, sometimes with a few tiny "bumps," itchy and uncomfortable. I have no weird vaginal discharge.

I have been to the doctor for this before. He said it was not herpes and prescribed Clotrimazole, which would work after a few days, which is how long it took the rash to go away without the medicine anyway. My last pap smear (tested for STD's as well) came back negative and that was in January. I've been tested for Trich as well, which was negative.

Sex is not uncomfortable for me unless I get dry and he rubs against that area too long or occasionally if his sperm gets on the area it will burn slightly. I've had unprotected sex with the same partner for about the last year and he has no symptoms.

At the end of last year, I experienced two UTI's in two months. While being treated with antibiotics, I did not get the rash at all. However, after the antibiotics were out of my system, the rash was back on its normal fluctuating schedule.

I'm just concerned because I'm afraid this could be an STD that is being missed, not to mention, it's becoming very annoying for me.
General itching isn't a sign of herpes.  Have you had a blood test done for type specific herpes?  If not, get that done just to cover all your bases.  Other than that, if a doctor can't find anything wrong with you it's probably not serious.

The rash could be due to several causes. You would need to see a skin specialist to rule out eczema, sweat dermatitis,acne, folliculitis, etc. You would need to rule out bacterial or fungal infection too.

You could take some oral antihistamine or antiallergic medications like loratadine or cetrizine and see if it helps with your symptoms. Apply calamine lotion at the site of the lesions to help soothe the itching. Wear lose comfortable clothes, and avoid sweat accumulation at the sites.

What other symptoms are you having? Since when have you noticed the lesions?

Are you allergic to any specific substances?

Let us know about how you are doing and post us about what your doctor advises.

Post us if you need any further information.

Regards.

This morning I felt an itch in my vagina. I noticed it was swollen and red. I have no blisters and this has never happened to me before. The last time I was sexually active was about two months ago. What should I do?
I have had a host of vaginal problems and am getting really frustrated!  For the past two years I have various problems.

I had burning and a red "contact rash" (as my gyno calls it) with small little bumps (these come and go), I cannot shake this rash.  I have changed my detergent, tried to wear loose fitting clothes, and tried to avoid sweating excessively.  I know I have yeast in my body but they have done cultures down there and it comes back negative.  Sex always hurts.  I have been tested for ghonnorea, chlamydia, herpes, AIDS, and other common STDs. All negative.

I am LOST!  My doctor seems stumped.  HELP!