Rash looks like goosebumps

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Rash looks like goosebumps

My friend had a rash about a week ago.  They were on the back of her hands and forearm.  They looked like a bunch (like hundreds) of tiny bumps (practically looked like goosebumps). The color of the rash was normal flesh color; as I said, they were like goosebumps except they lasted for a whole week.  They're completely gone now.  I guess my question is, is it possible that her rash was caused by the herpes simplex 1 virus (because she got a blood test, IGG/IGM, and it was positive).  I'm kinda scared to touch her arm thinking that she may be (asymptomatic) shedding and I might get infected (I got blood tested as well, and it was negative) in future physical contacts.

I don't know if this would qualify as Keratosis Pilaris since it went away after a week.  But for the most part, I just would like to know if this could be herpes simplex 1.
The only skin condition that I am reminded of by such symptoms is Lichen nitidus.It is a chronic inflammatory disease of unknown etiology characterized by 1-2 mm, discrete and uniform, shiny, flat-topped, pale flesh-colored or reddish-brown papules which are usually present on upper limbs and torso and may itch also.

Generally no treatment is required as the condition is self limiting, but topical glucocorticoids may be tried. It does not sound like herpes which presents as blisters. However if your friend has tested positive, then please try avoiding close physical contact with her.
I hope it helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing or if you have any additional doubts. Kind regards.

I'm a bit confused.  When you say avoid physical contact, do you mean touching her arm or avoid contact with her face/mouth?  Are you saying that since she tested positive for herpes simplex 1, that rash COULD be due to it?  I've read that 80-90 percent of the population(many dont' know they have it because they don't get symptoms) have herpes simplex 1, that's a lot of people to avoid.
Till the time the active lesions are there, close contact like touching the lesions and the area of her cold sores should be avoided. Herpes simplex is most easily transmitted by direct contact with a lesion or the body fluid of an infected individual. Transmission may also occur through skin-to-skin contact during periods of asymptomatic shedding but the risk is more when active lesions are there.

Hope it helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing or if you have any additional queries. Kind regards.