Rash on 4 year old's face

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology - rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Rash on 4 year old's face

My son is 4 and developed a rash 5 days ago. It started with just a patch of skin on his face hear the nose and mouth. We applied hydrocortisone cream to see if it was just an allergic rash. The redness has gone away, but spread over his face. It is like rough skin, almost sandpaper feeling, that you can't see till you are up close to him. He is perfectly fine, no fever, no complaint of sore throat.
Please tell me your take on this. Thank you for your time.

It can be seborrheic dermatitis or eczema. Seborrheic dermatitis is a common skin condition that causes flaky, dry, white to yellowish scales to form on oily areas esp. under the nose or anywhere on face. Eczema is a form of chronic dermatitis (rash).Allergic reaction is one of the important causes of eczema.

My sincere advice would be to consult a dermatologist and get it evaluated as treatment is diagnosis specific.

I hope it helps. Take care and please do keep me posted in case you have any additional doubts. Kind regards.

Sounds like Impetigo to me.  Common in young children and can get very bad if left untreated.  Nose and mouth area's are right where it starts.