Rash on Back of Hands

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Rash on Back of Hands

I have been getting this rash primarily on the back of my hands as well as my elbows for the last 10 years or so.  The rash is not itchy and consists of small red bumps which are swelled and after a week or so start drying out starting from the middle and working its way out.  While this is going on small rings develop since the edges are swelled slightly while the middle is drying and swelling going down.  I have been to several dermatologists and none of them have offered any explanations.  I have had a few biopsies performed and I was told that it is not dangerous.  I get this rash mysteriously a few times a year and I haven't noticed any relationship with food, skin products or change of seasons.  It is just very fustrating not know why I get this and how to prevent it.  To hep it go away faster I have a prescription for PREDNISONE but I have heard that it is not too good for you if you take too much.  I am hoping that someone has heard of something like this and can offer an explanatation.  Please help, any responses would be appreciated. Thanks Buzz
Avatar_dr_f_tn

Were your dermatologists not able to give you a definite diagnosis after a biopsy?

Since you have been experiencing this for the last few years,this may not be something which heralds an acute infection or an acute disease process.

Does the rash involve other parts of the body also like the scalp, the ears and the area near the navel?

Do they occur all the time or do they occur only in certain times of the year?

What triggers them and what aggravates them?

Do you have any known allergies?

No they couldn't give me a diagnosis after a biopsy only that it was not dangerous or contageous.  Not sure what an acute infection is but I'll google it later today.

The rash is only on the back of my hands and elbows.  When there is a bad breadout I may a very little on my knees and edges of my lips but not too noticable.

There doesn't seem to be any relationship with the time of year I get the rash.  It seems to happen randomly a few times throughout the year.  The fustrating past is that I can't fugure out what is causing it since I have no known allergies to anything.  From speaking to the determitologist he dooesn't seem to think its an allergic reaction since it is only on my hands predominently.  

Anyone ever have this before?
THx
Stan