Dermatology Expert Forum
Rash on Front of Neck

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Rash on Front of Neck

Last week I developed a rash on the front of my neck, on my collar line.  It really doesn't spread down onto my chest, it doesn't go around to the back of my neck, and it doesn't spread up very far onto my neck.  It stops basically where my whiskers start.  It is bright red and itchy.

We switched laundry detergents last week and I thought that might be it, so I rewashed all my shirts in a different detergent.  But the rash still persists (although it may be a little better).  It is now a week since I first noticed it.  I've been using an over the counter hydrocortisone cream.  Thanks.
Rashes lime the one you describe are usually forms of eczema.  That means they come for no special reason, and don't correlate with soaps, detergents, and the other things people blame eczema on.  Perhpas you know of someone in the family with eczema or sensitive skin.  Cold winter weather often triggers eczema. though basically the condition is year-round.

In any case, hydrocrotisone is worth a try.  If the nonprescription form doesn't work, you may want to show this to a dermatologist for definitive diagnosis and treatment.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff