Dermatology Community
Rash on Knuckles
About This Community:

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Rash on Knuckles

I'm a healthy 21 yr female.  Two weeks ago, I went to the beach and developed something that I thought was a sunburn.  However this "sunburn" was just on my knuckles and on both hands.  At first it didn't hurt, but then it started itching really bad, swelled up, turned bright red, and all the lines in my hands became deep and defined (like an old woman's hands).  Whenever I exercised or got in the sun, the rash would blister up in huge water blisters.  About four hours after I exercised or got out of the sun, the blisters would go away.  Then they would come back again if I did those activities.  Now the rash has turned dark red like a bruise and is peeling (but it seems to be peeling off too much skin because its leaving big raw areas).  The joints in my hands also feel soar and stiff, like I have trouble opening water bottles.  I went to my family doctor and she thinks it is a sign of an autoimmune disease.  She took my bloodwork and it came back normal.  However, she still wants me to see a rheumatologist.  Does this sound like an autoimmune disease?  Is it serious? The rheumatologist can't see me for 2 months and I'm worried.  I just graduated college and was planning on moving across the country and taking a job that didn't have that great of insurance.  However, if its serious, then I would need to go back to college just to keep my parent's insurance.  I don't know what to do. I'm scared it is dermatomyositis.