Dermatology Expert Forum
Rash on Palms/Peeling and Sore

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Rash on Palms/Peeling and Sore

Dear Doctor,

I have had a very bad rash near the bottom left and right of my right palm only! It started out to be just very itchy also waking me in the middle of the night, then small raised blisters appeared and the area became inflamed and wider in range. I have been to 3 doctors and we have ruled out any kind of contact dermatitis and I have been on a wide range of different creams and tapes.

My hand now is still itchy, it is peeling, the skin is thick and it is sore and feels like leather, it also now appear on my other hand and in between some fingers..

The next step would be to do patch testing, and they suggest that I go to NY, this is not something I really want to do.

I would appreciate any suggestions you may have, at this point I have been give the strongest ointment there is and it is just making the affected areas more raw in nature.

Thank you for your time.   Leslie Osher

Leslie:

As much as I can tell without seeing your rash, it sounds like what is called dyshidrotic eczema.  This is an itchy eruption of small blisters which affect the palms and sometimes the soles. Like most forms of eczema, its cause is unknown, but allergy is not usually present, and patch testing is therefore rarely helpful. I don't know what your doctor has recommended, but potent steroid ointments usually help a lot, especially if applied under plastic wrapping or even injected.  If your doctor hasn't tried this, they ought to consider doing so.

Good luck.

Dr. R
i have the same thing you have. Iv'e been using cortisone cream but it is'nt helping. Have not seen a doc yet. Is yours getting better?
  Reenie
i once had the same type of problem...but more on my fingers, not so much the bottoms of my hands...once doctor told me that it was a fungus and a friend suggested that I put ABSORBINE JUNIOR (or muscular aches) on my fingers.  There is something in that stuff that kills this type of fungus.  I tried it and it worked.  The downside is that the smell is really annoying.. but the peely skin goes away!
Thank you all for your suggestions, as a matter of fact I am going to try and see the doctor again today, over the weekend things have gottern worse to the point that my skin has split, is bleeding and the itch is unbearable, I have been on the steroidal ointments but perhaps I should ask about an injection.

I have had thr tapes as well, but the fall off right away, bad spot.

Someone has mention HERPANACINE, (don't know what it is or even if I am spelling it right.

Absorbine Junior, who knew?  Anyway it probablr is a form of eczema but neither doctor has suggested that, could this be viral?
Dear Leslie,

I have had reocurring eczema for 52 yrs. When I was little they said I was allergic to citrus acid. But citrus does not become acidic until it is concentrated. Orange juice made from concentrate, tomato paste, etc. It comes from too much acid in the stomach. When I get upset my hands break out within a day or two. The only effective treatment I have ever found (and it works for everyone I tell) is a cream (not ointment) that used to be marketed under a brand name called Medrol. It is now only found in a generic and through a prescription. Ask your doctor about Medrol and he or the druggist will be able to give you the generic. Good luck!
TO JET:

Thank you for your suggestion, I am going to the doctor this afternoon and will ask him about this!  I will let you know...Leslie
I just returned from a vacation in Florida and on my forearms have developed a red itchy rash. I had used a sunscreen. They appear to be like little blisters but no fluid comes out of them when I scratch them. Is this some form of sun poisoning?? Look forward to your response. Thanks Howard
I have had the itching, cracking, flaking, peeling and bleeding thing on my hands and the soles of my feet now for about 3 years. Like the rest of you, I tried everything I could think of and also everything other people recommended. Finally, my Dermatologist gave me a prescription for a cream called Maxiflor and it helps with the itching only. She also gave me a roll of tape that is clear looking and has a strong steriod in it. You cut the tape to fit the areas that are affected and leave it on for 12 hours a day for two weeks at a time. It helps a lot, and it can cause the itch and breaking and bleeding to go away for 2 to 3 days at a time...but it always returns. Just having some relief, no matter how small, from this awful thing is great. The name of the tape is Flurandrenolide Tape. I try to use the tape at night only. I put the tape on my hands and then put on white cotton gloves with the fingers cut out of them. You can buy these cotton gloves at Wal-mart. I wear white thin socks on my feet. Also, keep some vaseline jelly in the fridge and put it on the affected areas several times a day. I even use it at night whenever I am not using the tape. It really does help. Hope this information helps you all, also. Good luck....'Anna'
Thank you Anna,

Since my last corespondence I have been put on oral Prednisone therapy, each time the rash cleared up and then came back with a vengence, now it is on my other hand and on the sides of my fingers, and so itchy and even water hurts. I have been to 4 doctors and now I am going to see an allergist.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.
Leslie,

I wish you luck with the allergist. I know that I have something similar to what you have. Mine starts out as tiny 'water blisters' and goes into larger swellings and then are very sore untill finally a thick layer of skin 'peals off'. My Dr. told me 'it's an allergy find out what it is and never eat it again!"  Fat lot of good that did me!  But I have narrowed it down to SOMETHING IN Chili, Taco meat, BBQ sauce, and Spagetti! I can eat any of these things.....but NEVER any 2 in one week! This summer has been the best one I have had in ages! I still am stupid enough to do it once in awhile but now that I know what it is I am careful!  
This may sound funny....but I have stoped using antibactirial(sp)soap and gone back to 'regular' soap and when I have a break-out I wash some dishes by hand instead of using the dishwasher..Sure it hurts at the time and, Don't ask me why but it really 'dries' them up and they seem to heal MUCH faster and are much less itchy!  
I really wish you luck!
Granny
What a relief to know I'm not alone. My hands are driving me and my husband crazy.  Out of nowhere they started peeling, cracking, bleeding at the fingertips mostly.  Then they started getting calluses and cracking on the palms.  Now they are callused between the fingers.  I have been to 2 top dermatologists in New York (Manhattan) now seeing one on Long Island.  They ask what the other doctors prescribed and then prescibe something different.  What a merry-go-round and what an expense.  I wouldn't care if something would help.  Not only do they not commit to what it actually is - there are playing a guessing game on what to prescribe.  I thought it had something to do with hormones since I am in menopause.  Then I thought it might have something to do with stopping smoking after 35 years.  I mentioned these things to all the doctors and they just shake their heads.  How can it be that so many people have this problem and no one knows how to treat it.  I am very embarassed by it.  I know the people in my office sometimes feel funny taking things from my hands when they notice it.  Somebody out there must know what this is!  We can go to the moon - but we can't cure a rash on the hands.  Go figure!!!!
Deborah, et tal,

Thank you all for your replys! Well to update you, I have been to the allergist and a mild reaction came up to soap, shampoo's, laundry detergents, softeners, etc. I might as well stop living. I find this hard to believe because only my hands are affected.

I too am getting embarassed by they way my hands look. I am now with another Dermatologist who also just put me on another cream, I don't even know what this one is called. The itching at least has stopped but my hands are still very dry, scaley and at the moment I have a big bandage on my hand because the skin on my right palm has split open. Nice HUH?

I have never ever been allergic to anything before in my life, I will admitt that yes shampoo, soap and even water hurt my hands because they are so raw!

I would rather go to the moon!   Leslie
Thank goodness I am not the only one to suffer this affiction! I have been going to the Hospital in Bristol, England for nearly two years with split palms of my hands and feet.  I also have eczema on my arms, back and head.

Perhaps we should press "someone" or "some people" to act on our behalf to try to find a cure.  I for one long for relief and to live normally.  

I, too, feel the embarrassment of working with raw hands looking like I never take any care of them.  Good luck to all.

PS  I am currently trying kinesiology (allergy therapy)! I will let you know if there is real and prolonged relief.

I too have the fingertip problem.  It began last November; I had nothing even remotely similar in the prior 56 years of life. I still have it - the progress is always identical: smooth fingertip, a building up of something from beneath the skin, with concurrent thickening and even a yellow tinge (lovely), a vague numbness of the thickening skin, then the peeling begins, often 3 layers.  I cannot touch paper or fabric without wincing, the skin actually breaks open and bleeds with little or no provocation and it looks dreadful. I have been to three doctors - my family doctor who is also my brother and especially wants to find an answer - and two dermatologists, who have been 100% unhelpful. I have put far too much cortisone and steroid based creams on the fingertips, and have decided to stop and stick with Vaseline and an occasional soak in a strong hot water and Epsom salts solution, which seems to help, I know not why.  I also tried PUVA for a month, 3 times a week, and it did help for a short time, but then the condition returned.  The oddity with my fingertip problem is that it has always been only 3 fingers on each hand - never ever the ring or little fingers on either hand. They're perfect.  And the six affected fingertips are now somewhat spatulate, and discernibly larger, or "fatter" than the other four fingertips.  As a professional who has to meet and greet some very high profile people, this is getting tiresome.  I now wear little white nylon gloves at the keyboard and much of the time in public - I look like an aging Minnie Mouse. A friend is going to Italy next month and she is going to look for very soft very thin leather gloves, which won't help the condition, but will help my morale.  The condition worsened this summer, putting paid to one doctor's "positive" diagnosis of psoriasis of the nail - never mind that my nails look perfect and are very strong. I'm just happy to find this site and realize I'm not alone. Sorry I have no solution; let's all keep looking, because it is highly unlikely that the medical profession is going to solve the problem for us - there's no research foundation money for Funny Fingertips.
I just ran across something on a New Zealand website for skin problems.  Those of us with the peeling fingertips may have exfoliative keratolysis, or something very much like it. It appears that there is no cure. How annoying. Look is up.  The complete address is http://www.dermnet.org.nz/dna.exfol/exfol.html
My husband has has the same sort of problem. He has been told "Oh it's excema, and there is cure" there has to be someone out there who knows why the symptoms just appear, splitting on the palm of the hands and soles of feet, resulting in bleeding and irritation. Allergy therapy hasn't helped, doctor after doctor....nothing!! The only relief he has had is from a blend of oil that I did for him, as I am a qualified Aromatheraptist but the problem has never gone away for good.

We thought that it was a chemical reaction to bottled beer, soaps etc etc, nothing seems to help.  It's such a mystery.
For me, everything started with what I thought was athletes foot. I bought lamisil cream and used it for a month but the rash kept spreading. I went to see a doctor who immediately said that it was tinea pedis and prescribed me a cream called mentax, which did not do anything at all for me. Today, I went back to see a dermatologist because the rash has spread to the top of my foot (both sides) and I have got small little raised clear bumps all over the feet and hands. They are itching and are probably fluid filled. The dermatologist told me that it was not probably not athletes foot and that it looks like an exzema (eczema) or an allergic reaction. He prescribed claritin for the itching and two different kinds of ointments to use . When I put these ointments on my rash it burned and stinged like crazy. Now when the ointment has dried it is white and flaky. I want to know if this is because it is healing or if I am using the wrong medication. My feet are very swollen and red and I can not see the difference now from before. My doctor told me that if it is a Fungus I will know after I put on the ointments because they will make the fungus worse. I don't know what to do, I can not sleep at night and all I think about is this. If anybody knows please answer.
thanks
I am soo happy I came across this post.  I too have had this annoying problem.  I have even been to the hospital twice for it and was treated like a leper.  Like i belonged in quarentine.  My doctor also thought FUNGUS, but it made things worse.  He then referred me to a dermatologist, with no help whatsoever.  I have it on my hands.  It started under my name ring, as a small patch of blisters that were severely itchy.  It then spread to my other hand, and it kept spreading and clearing back and forth on both hands.  I have tried every thing...you name it, I tried it.  I have been using Hydrocortozone Valerate Cream and it helps sometimes. but if you use it too often you get zero results.  I also used Diprolene and Elocon.  Those worked for awhile, but again...stopped.  No one knows what is wrong with us.  I researched this online and came to the conclusion that it is Dishydrotic Eczema.  Also, for all of you females out there that have this...look to your family to see if they have it too.  It runs in the family if you do have Dishydrotic Eczema.  My sister and my niece have it also.  On the hands.
If anyone comes up with anything that works please let us all know.
Stephanie
Well I finally had a Biopsy done on my left palm. The results are SPONGIATIC DERMATITIS. I don't even know if I'm spelling it right, I am on a slew of topical medications and put back on Embeline which the doctor said should work. Well it did not work the first time and it is not working now.  My right thumb is so sore from cracking that I have to keep a bandage on it.

The doctor said it is an allegy, all I know is that I am FED UP, sick of going to doctors and I really don't know what to do.

The only real relief that I have had in 1-1/2 years was when I was on the prednison!

Leslie
I have never meet anyone else with this hand rash.  It's truly embarrasing to shake hands with this scaly, red, cracking, and irritated right palm.  I usually try to high-five with the left hand to avoid contact (that's okay on the tennis court, but hard to do in church).  I'm 50 years old now, and have had this since I was about 18 (except for about 10-15 years).  I've been to so many dermatologists I've lost track.  It's comical now to watch the new doctor always look at it and say I need some type of steroid cream, and they never work.  The really weird cure came from working in a chemical plant, and I had to dip my hands in a recovery vat (about once per hour) that primarily contained ethylene glycol (anti-freeze without all the extra ingredients).  The vat was very cold and somewhat slimy.  Of course I immediately washed my hands with plain water and toweled dry after each time, and after about 3 months, the problem went away for about 10-15 years.  I play tennis about 3 times per week, and each time really tears it up.  I would love for someone to come up with a cure and share with all of us.
Thank God I know other people have the same problem! 10 months ago I began to develope what I thought to be athelites foot on my right foot don't I now wish that was the case! After several failed treatments I got to a good dermatologist and he told me that I had dyshidrotic eczema and I hate it. He has tried several treatments none of which stop my break outs. I have both hands affected completely and both sides of my right foot. I have been taking Prednizone in variing amounts for 4 months and get some relief. I am 36 very active and work with my hands. Between the eczema and drug side affects I know what many of you deal with day in day out. Hope to all!
Janet, Leslie, and others,

Go to www.eczema-assn.org which is the URL for the national
eczema organization based in Oregon.  You can read back issues of
the newsletter and a special section of suggestions from readers
on what treatments have helped them. This site is wonderful, and professional, with dermatologists on the board (no wild claims of secret cures, nobody trying to sell you anything)

Also search dyshidrotic eczema (which occcurs on either the palms and fingers or the soles of the feet, or both) on yahoo.com and on google.com.

A depressed immune system because of emotional stress *often*
triggers this type of eczema.  If you've been through a divorce,
death in the family, or similar situation, this *may* be what brought on the eczema.  So, if you're not doing regular exercise
and yoga or meditation or some other form of physical and mental
relaxation, start and keep up such a program. One study showed that children with eczema all improved after receiving regular massages from their parents (who were trained to give the massages).  If you can afford a weekly massage, try it and see if it helps.
I am so upset after reading the postings on this horrible condition I have developed--I am 30 years old with no previous problem and I am just not happy with the "no cure" answer--All the women in my family who have it or have had it have also had a thyroid problem--is there anyway these two conditions can some way be connected--I am going to have mine checked today for it was suggested to me to do so for it seems to be inlarged--Are there any others here with this condition joined with a throid condition as well???---Tracy
I have had psyrisis (sp?) and/or eczema (I have symptoms of both) since I was about 3 when it broke out all over my body. It was horrible, I had about 70% coverage of patchy, flaking, itchy, red, cracking, bleeding areas. Now that I'm 24, I only have a few areas that have visable redness and flaking on my back, upper arms, and chest.(it cleared up on my face thank god). When I was younger, I always used plain old vaseline to keep my skin from cracking and bleeding and to get the dead skin to come off easier - I always remember feeling 'tight' because my skin was dry and stretched until I put some vaseline on. It would get especailly bad after swimming because that drys your skin out even more.  Throughout my life, I have tried EVERYTHING to try to manage, control, eliminate this persistant pain in the *** from my life. I have seen more doctors than I can count, tried creams, ointments, tars, oils, ultraviolet light treatment, etc. At this point, I just live with the remaining patches that I have - I just give up and coexist with it... but too this day I still can't take my shirt off in public without feeling like a freak show - as you can guess, this has also seriously hindered my social life.

Some have found linkages to stress, some to allergy, etc. The only thing that I have found that works 100% without fail is sunlight. The only places that I still have problems with are covered areas - I always roll my sleeves up and only get a slight relapse of the patches on my lower arms during winter - in the summer it disappears.

One other cream that I had mild success with is call Dovinex - It is a european cream and it managed to reduce redness and flaking - almost completely erradicating it. However, as soon as I stopped using the cream (which you should not use for a prolonged period of time - thins the skin) it came back in a matter of weeks. You might want to look into this as it is good for temporary relief of this type of 'hyperactive' skin problems. I was never 100% fully diagnosed so I really don't know what I have or if this will help anyone else here. But try the vaseline... it will at least releive the dryness and hopefully prevent cracking of the skin (I know how much this hurts).

Cheers,
Forest
I can't believe that there is someone out there who has the same symptom as I do.  About 3 1/2 years ago I started having problems with my fingertips.  It is from the tips of my fingers down to the first joint.  It seems that the skin thickens and then peels off and then breaks open and bleeds.  Sometimes the ends of my fingers are so sore I can barely touch anything.  I have been to my family doctor, an allergist for all kinds of tests and two different dermatologists for patch test.  Nothing really showed up.  I have been given at least a half dozen different prescription creams or lotions and nothing has helped.  I have not changed any shampoo, soaps, dish liquid, etc.  The cuticles around my nails become hard and the skins get very dry. I can just peel it off in globs both around the nail, on the finger tip and pad and on around the finger down by the first knuckle.  It seems to only affect my thumbs and first two fingers.  My ring finger and little finger don't really seem to be affected.  The tips of these finger seem to be biger than the other fingers.  Also, if you press into the tip of the finger, the indent mark stays and doesn't go away.  I also found myself sometimes dropping things because it seems like I do not have the same sense of touch in these fingers as I use to.  My fingers look absolutely horrid and I am very embarassed by them. I don't know where to go from here.  None of the doctors I have gone to have helped.  Any ideas?
"Sounds like" you could poss. have a case of dishydrosis or psoryisis (sp?)  (The two are very similar).

Dishydrosis starts as tiny blisters on hands and / or feet.  The blisters can itch or not  (mine normally itch, and start on my fingers).  They sometimes just go away or they can peel and can bleed severely.  The blisters can sometimes produce a water - like substance. There is no known cause, but, it is "said" to be caused by stress.  The treatments can be as easy as cortisone creams prescribed by your derm., or UVA Light treatment, (Ask your doc. for more inf.).  

Psoryisis - is severly dry skin...or exzema (eczema) to the extreme, which also peels and can bleed,  (with no blisters involved).  Itching is caused by the dryness.  The treatments can also be as easy as cortisone creams prescribed by your derm., or UVA Light treatment, (Ask your doc. for more inf.).  

You should use a mild soap like Dove or cetaphil and a moisturizer like cetaphil or Lubriderm...for either...  but, who am i....kc
I cannot believe I have found all of you, with what seems to be the same affliction. My situation started shortly after I moved to the Pacific Northwest, from the Southwest. I now believe I had this "Dishydrotic Ecezema" when I was in the Southwest as well, however I was never diagnosed. It seems from my evaluation that I will have a worse episode when I seem to eat Shellfish.

I get these little tiny bumps like a rash on my feet it itches so bad I want to bite my limbs off. then the bumps burst open and ooze out a liquid, or some times watery bloody liquid. Then terrible itchiness again, Unbearable, Then I become extremely open to infection. To date I have tried creams, ointments, anti-histmines, Cordan Tape, Ultravate ointment. I must say the Ultravate ointment when I have a breakout, keeping my feet in ice cold water, drying them by dabbing not rubbing has helped.

I place the Ultrate on my feet and then cover them with bandages, wear white cotton socks. I also use a lotion called "Cetaphil" and they make a cleansing moisterizing soap as well at Costco it is cheaper.
When my breakout is horrible I have to use the CORDAN TAPE wrap gause over it and white cotton socks.

I can also tell you I have purchased a pair of socks and gloves which I wear in the evening to bed after my episodes subside that are called Derma Socks they are usually in catalogs. they are a gel sock/glove with aloe and vitamin E I don't think it help merely makes it soothing and I stop scratching until they start bleeding. I also do not pick or touch them.

I made the mistake of going out two weeks ago and Had a Shell fish dinner at a Japanese Restaurant then to the symphony before the symphony was over I had an outbreak right in the Theatre! Had to go to the emergency room I am now going to be set up for PUVA TREATMENTS...

The other night I was invited to go out Crabbing at low tide...
We got several Dungeness Crab and we caught them boiled them and
ate them...after that evening the next day I woke up to the bumps all over my hands they have broken open and liquid and the itching is unbearable...Sorry to be so long but I thought after reading that this may help others Thank you for allowing me to share

Bill

Bill
I guess that I can join the club. The symptoms sound similar. I have found that soaking my hands in cider vinegar sometimes helps. Be aware that this will sting if you have open cracks in the skin, but the pain is only temporary and it often gives relief for a week or two. Perhaps combining this with the glycol treatment could be an answer. Don't laugh, no else has a cure either. This at least is cheap.
I have been a sufferer of the same problem since nine years old, now I'm 36. Many Dermatologists and a plethera of cortizones later I still have the pompholyx or "Dishydrotic Ecezema" , which seems to worsen under stressful situations, and the meds definitely weakened my skin, a lot. Always searching for an alternative to the cortizone, a friend relayed her story, she had it also except a much worse case went through a radical moist dressing treatment at the Mayo clinic in MN that worked for her using Robathol oil in combination with Vanicream for moisture and steroid cream, gloves at night. I am tying it, it seams to help. My favorite sport? Handball!
I searched for 'peeling fingertips' with the vague hope that I might find something related and could not believe that so many people seem to suffer with the same symptoms but that no-one is sure what causes it.  My son, who is 3, has, for the second time in about a couple of months, cracked fingertips also only up to the first digit.  It starts to blister, one finger at a time and not always all of them.  It takes about a week and then it clears up.  When I took him to the doctor the first time it happened, he said it might be caused by a virus.  This time, I shall take a copy of this web page with me to show him!!  Thanks for all your advice.
Well: I originally posted this question,

and I have found something that seems to be easing the symptons it is called ACID MANTEL, I got it from a pharmacist, it is an over the counter cream but you will need to ask for it. It cures diaper rash as well...and gets rid of wrinkles, a true wonder cream.After all the steriods I have been on this seems to help.

Try it.  Good luck all     Leslie
Try Emu Oil. I read on the web that it works. Do a search on it and see for yourself.
I am not very sure if I have the same thing. I get my sores only during winter and all the doctors "agreed" that it is some sort of an infection caused due to sweating of palms. I dip my hands in pottasium permagnate soln. and sometimes it gives some relief.It starts with  bubble like boils which turn sore (and painful) and then it dries and I "shed" my skin. It happens every year during the months of Dec, Jan. I live in India. My mom says she used to get it when she was my age and now she does not get it. I am waiting for that!!!
I have had this problem for over 5 years.  Started with a stressful period of time while going through a divorce. I HAVE HAD MANY DERMATOLOGISTS, A RUMATOLOGIST and regular Family Practice Physiciand  who have diagnosed me with Contact Dermatitis.  WRONG..... I am an RN so the most likely diagnosis would have been dermatitis.  They never Biopsied my hands.  The argument is that Dermatitis, Psyrisis and Exema (eczema) look the same.  Went to Florida to a Dermatologist there and the first Question he ask was have you had this biopsied?  Funny thing...Tried to have the Dr.'s do that in Houston.  So I marked it off as Dr's. not wanting to listen to a RN.  I thought this was what Doctors did ; listen to thier patients and together plan a plan of care.  After the Biopsy came back as Psyrisis I've tryed Cortisone, Prednisone, Dovinex, An Alternative Dr With suppliments and now am going to try lazer to remove thick skin which is a build up of dead skin which causes the cracking and bleeding and then Short B Wave UV.  I don't know what to do  if this doesn't work.  My career as a Nurse is ruined because of this problem.  My social life is in a shamble and when I wear the gloves in public people stop me and ask what's wrong with my hands or do you have a germ phobia?  Funny Huh!  Someone please tell me I'm on the right track with Light therapy.  Im about to go crazy with the itching,thick peeling, dry cracking skin.   Thanks Annie
A related discussion, my experience was started.
A related discussion, Thickening yellow cracking skin was started.