Dermatology Expert Forum
Rash on finger joints and elbows

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Rash on finger joints and elbows

I've been getting a rash on my finger joints, elbows, and knees since I was 6 or 7 years old. It just flared up again for no apparent reason. When it is really bad, like it is now, it is both itchy and painful at the same time, and my skin feels tight and hurts when I bend my fingers. The rash looks like many small bumps of different sizes, not everywhere on my hands, just on the knuckles and joints of the back of my hand. On the joints of the front of my hand the rash looks like small red patches. The rash will swell up and go down within an hour, or could stay inflamed for days. Heat seems to make it worse. I've looked everywhere online for information about a rash like this. When I went to the doctor, it was at a time when it was down, and she looked at me like I was crazy. When I was younger my mother took me to many doctors and none of them knew what it was. Can anyone help? Email me and I can elaborate or send pictures.

Thanks,
Renee
Renee:

I'm afraid that your description does not remind me of a specific condition, though it does have the flavor of a rheumatologic (joint-related) syndrome.  Why don't you take good-quality pictures of the condition in full bloom, and bring them to either a dermatologist or a rheumatologist (arthritis specialist) or both?  Then you can perhaps arrange a visit on a semi-emergency basis when the condition is present, when a biopsy would be possible?

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
I forgot to include my email address: Lostsoul_***@****
I HAD A RASH ON THE BACK OF MY LEFT LEG ABOUT SIX  
MONTHS AGO. IT WAS RED AND HAD VERY SMALL BUMPS.
BUT ALL OF A SUDDEN IT WENT AWAY. NOW IT BACK. AND IT
IS IN THE SAME AREA BUT THIS TIME IT IS VERY PAINFUL
AND A LITTLE BIGGER THAN BEFORE. SOMETIME IT ITCH BUT
NOW I'M WORRIED. WHAT DO I NEED TO DO? WHERE COULD IT HAVE
CAME FROM?
I have been experiencing what sounds like the exact same symptoms, except have not had bumps on the knees.  My symptoms have been limited to the finger joints, elbows, and occasionally joints on my toes.  Have periodically experienced breakouts 2-3 times a year since I was about 16 (am 30 now).  During my last outbreak, which occurred about one month ago, I went to the doctor and had a biopsy.  Tests were inconclusive.  The doctor suggested periosis which is supposedly aggravated by cold temperatures, despite the fact that I told him it seemed to be aggravated by the heat.  He basically shrugged his shoulders.  Very frustrating!!

It sounds to me like scabies. If it is, it is highly contagious.
Please see your doctor and be aware, you need to treat the whole
family as well. ie seperate towels and no contact with other members of family until it is treated. It is a tiny mite that burrows under the skin and can lay eggs under the skin and
become active again. Very much aggrevated by heat.
A related discussion, rash on joints was started.
A related discussion, joint rash at hands, elbows, and knees was started.
A related discussion, Rash on Joints was started.
A related discussion, same as renee was started.
A related discussion, rashes was started.