Rash on groin between leg and genitals

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Rash on groin between leg and genitals

I have had a rash that is between my legs and my scrotum. It has been going on for about a month. It is not there all of the time. Sometimes it lasts for 2 or 3 days then is gone for 2 or 3 days. It isn't itchy. It is just sore. It feels "raw". I'm pretty sure it's not an STD. It's red. It also is red on my leg where my scrotum might rest. But the soreness is only in the crease where my leg meets my body next to my scrotum. Sometimes I think this rash causes an odor because I usually do not have an odor and wash once or twice a day.

I'm not more active than usual so I don't think its from sweating too much. Does anyone know what could be causing this and how I might get rid of it?

This discussion is related to Leg Rash.
From your symptoms it looks like intertrigo. An intertrigo is an inflammation (rash) of the body folds.It most commonly occurs due to bacterial, viral or fungal infection. An intertrigo usually appears red and raw-looking, and may also itch, ooze, and be sore.

Keep the area clean and apply some topical antiseptics. Also wear loose-fitting cotton clothing and use an antibacterial soap or mild soap like dove. Avoid any kind of cosmetics. Topical zinc oxide cream like Sudocrem, Desitin are very helpful(apply with a paper towel and not directly with hands).Application of mild steroid cream like dermacort also helps. For the itching please take some over the counter antihistaminic like Benadryl or Claritin. In case the symptoms persist then antifungals may be needed. Please consult a dermatologist in that case.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.