Rash on groin

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Rash on groin

Hi Doctor

I have had a rash on my groin for about 5 weeks now. It dies down a little when i leave air to get to it but comes up again ever so often. Its a pale red colour and appears like the skin may be flakey although it is not actually flakey.

Any ideas what this could be?
Tags: rashs, groin, Skin
Without examination it is very difficult to confirm a diagnosis, but the symptoms are suggestive of erythrasma.
Erythrasma is a chronic superficial infection of the intertriginous areas of the skin.It is true that groins are effected but the typical appearance is well-demarcated, brown-red macular patches. The skin has a wrinkled appearance with fine scales.

It has to be differentiated from contact dermatitis,psoriasis,sweat dermatitis and fungal infections which may mimic it.Wood lamp examination and gram staining are the tests for its diagnosis.

So nothing can be confirmed without examination.

The standard therapy of erythrasma is antibiotics and antifungals because it is caused by a bacteria C minutissimum.Erythromycin is the drug of choice.

Mild steroids are helpful in reducing the inflammation associated with it. But use it only after a dermatologist’s prescription.
Hope it helps. Take care and pls do keep me posted on how you are doing or if you have any additional queries.Kind regards.