Rash on hands

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Rash on hands

I have a rash that started at the top of my hand between the pinki and other finger...it is slightly red and now is flaky and has almost like little papercuts...my hands feel very dry, and i have moisterized but it doesnt seem to help and now it has spread towards my thumbs staying close to the base of my fingers.  Is this just dry skin or is it fungal or something?
Hi. The best hand cream for the papercut-like lesions you describe is Elizabeth Arden 8 hour hand cream. This is good for the dryness and irritation associated with conditions like Allergic contact dermatitis.
Avoid exposing your hands to potential allergens like washing-up liquid and clothes detergent. Wear non-latex gloves for household tasks.
Eloise.
I too, have this and have found no way to stop it, it spread from one finger to another..does yours as well?

Without examination,confirmation of a diagnosis is tough but it can be contact dermatitis,allergies or eczema.

Eczema is a form of chronic dermatitis (rash).Allergic reaction is one of the important causes of eczema. Allergic reaction can occur to strong soaps,detergents, chemicals, certain foods, plants, metals, cosmetics, even dust mites.

Wash the areas several times with fresh water. Do not use any cosmetic products at the sites. You can apply some calamine lotion at the rash as it will help in soothing the skin. You can take some OTC oral antihistamine medications like Benadryl or Claritin and see if it helps.

For mild-moderate eczema a weak steroid may be used (e.g. hydrocortisone as dermacort), whilst more severe cases require a higher-potency steroid (e.g. clobetasol propionate, fluocinonide).

Eczema can be exacerbated by dryness of the skin. Use good quality moisturizers to prevent moisture loss from the skin.

If still the symptoms do not improve then pls get a clinical examination done by a dermatologist.

I hope that helps. Please do keep me posted on how you are doing or if you have any additional doubts.Warm regards