Dermatology Community
Rash on inner thigh - alergy(allergy) or infection?
About This Community:

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Rash on inner thigh - alergy(allergy) or infection?

About 2 weeks ago I noticed that both inner thighs had bumps on them.  I thought they were bug bites (mosquito) because I was mountain biking in the woods. Then the "bites" developed into a rash.  Both sides are symmetrical (if I touch my thighs together they line up perfectly), they are now larger than my hand, and they are exactly where my thighs would be rubbing against my bike seat.  I was in emergency last week because the swelling got very bad.  They put me on an anti-biotic Novo-Lexin.  That was 6 days ago and there was no improvement.  Instead the swelling and redness got worse.  I went to see my family doctor yesterday and he added  Ran-Ciprofloxacin to be taken with the Novo.  I started those last night and today I still see no improvement.  The 'rash' keeps changing in that the red area is slowly turning to purple.  My doctor is not convinced it is an infection because the skin is soft and palpable (he said infections are typically 'hard').  I did have clear fluid coming out of the pimply part at one point.  The census seems to be that I got chafing on my legs from biking and that bacteria got in.  I am wondering what else this could be?  If there is no improvement by tomorrow, my doctor told me I have to return to see him.  I have no pain, but the itching that happens is incredibly terrible.  It does not always itch, only if I end up touching it through washing or exam.