Dermatology Expert Forum
Rash on my face

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Rash on my face

I have a rash on my face near my nose and on my chin near the corner of my mouth, it started out as tiny flesh colored bumps but then became red and itchy. I went to the dermatologist and she gave me metrolotion and eledel, she said it could be eczema or a mild form of rosacea. THat didnt work and it made it wose so i went back and she gave me doxycline. Which also is not working. I have another appointment with a different doctor on monday... however I think it has more to do with my eczema because i have really dry skin on my face and scalp. I have never had any acne problems or redness which makes me think it is not rosacea. I am afraid it will never go away at this rate.It has been 3 weeks. Do you have any idea what it could be or how i can get it to go away quickly?
I think your dermatologist is correct.  I think you have a form of rosacea, and that doxycycline will do the trick if you give it long enough.  Long enough means 4-6 weeks.  I urge you not to change course until you've invested that length of time.  Occasionally, doxycycline doesn't work, and other antibiotics need to be used.  But in your case, I don't think you've waited long enough to tell.  I'd keep up the Metrolotion too, by the way.

Take care.

Dr. Rockoff
Your symptoms started just as mine did almost two yrs. ago. Please check out www.morgellons.org to rule this condition out. It might just save you a substantial amount of money, time, and the frustration of those around you thinking your crazy.
A related discussion, Rash on my face! was started.
A related discussion, facerashwithdryness was started.