Dermatology Expert Forum
Rash on palms of hands

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Rash on palms of hands

For about three weeks now, I've been getting a rash on my palms and fingertips.  It appears from time to time as a collection of small red dots (3mm?).  It is NOT present on my feet.  It doesn't itch much, and it doesn't hurt just to touch, but it hurts when friction is applied (for example, steering a car can be painful).  The dots usually only appear in the afternoons/evenings and seem to get worse when my palms sweat, which they seem to be doing more than usual lately.
The pain is there even when the dots are not, and I sometimes feel a sudden pricking/stabbing sensation on the affected parts, again, even if the rash is not present.  I went to see a dermatologist, but as he was only available in the morning, I had precious few symptoms to show him.  He guessed that it was related to hay fever.  (I was, perhaps coincidentally, given antibiotics to treat swollen glands in my neck about a month ago).  However, I've never had this condition before.  As the condition seems to be getting worse, I'd like to hear your ideas about what this might be and what I should do about it.
Well, you got me, I'm afraid.  The only thing that comes to mind is a form of eczema called dyshidrosis, which produces little bubbles or blisters an the fingers or palms.  Whether that's what these are, or why they appear in the afternoons and beyond, I really can't say.

I will say this: your symptoms don't remind me of anything significant, and often, inscrutable stuff like this just comes, hangs around for a while, and disappears without a trace.  I'd just keep the skin moiturized with any lotion you like, and wait for it to either disappear or show some other symptoms (which I frankly doubt will happen.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
I recently visited Russia. When I returned home to the US I found that I had a scar on my lower back, about 4" in diameter and a red rash on the palms of my hands ... thin skin, flaking and doesn't go away with treatment of skin conditioners.  It get better for a while but comes back without continued treatment.  It is very dry and reddish.  Have any ideas?