Rash on scalp and hair loss

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Rash on scalp and hair loss

When I was about 18 years old I started losing my hair. I used to have really long, reasonably thick and healthy hair, straight on top and curly underneath. I have since the age of 18 I have experienced itcy scalp, with little red spots that give off seabum or bleed if irritated.
Now I am 22, and my hair has totally changed quality. It has gone from being heavy and healthy to being frizzy, light and curly. I can also see that there are less hairs pr. square centimeter than it used to be.
I saw my hairdresser this week and she said I have a rash all over my scalp, and that I should see a hair and scalp specialist. I am trying not to scratch, but it itches even in my ears as well as on my forehead an neck, almost a creepy crawly sensation. I do not have head lice, but do sometimes find small, hard, round, white pearl like looking things near my scalp.
Is there any treatment for this? Can I get my hair back? Could a shampoo help me?
check on seborrheic dermatitis and see if this may be it. You can get rx shampoos or try some first that are all natural without any type of lauryl or laureth sulfate. This is the chemical used for detergent(sudsing ?sp) of the shampoo, and is very irritating to the scalp. The one with the brand name Jason is a naturally organic one that I've tried. Also, until I get to the derm. I put a little hydrocortisone cream on the spots, it helps with the itch. Hope you get some relief.
you should see a doctor soon. i saw a skin doctor for something simillar when i was only 25 and he suggested i use a dandruff shampoo. the problem with me is not only on my scalp. the only relief i get is using head and shoulders in the dark blue bottle i think it has a different chemical in it. also i later found i have a thyroid problem and dry skin and brittle hair are linked to it, winter weather makes my condition worse . I also take fish oil or flax seed it seems to help also. i hope this helps you.