Dermatology Expert Forum
Rash on scrotum

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Rash on scrotum

A little over a month ago, I started having a pain on the skin around the glans (glands).  After a couple of weeks, and no relief, I went to the doctor.  He diagnosed it as a yeast infection and gave me some cream to treat it.  I also began using Gold Bond Powder to keep the area dry.  
  Recently, over the past several days, I noticed problems on the scrotum.  It began with an itching sensation, followed by drying out and peeling of the skin in big flakes.  I used the Gold Bond throughout the weekend, and yesterday I noticed what appear to be a bunch of small blisters on either side of my scrotum.  It hurts only when I walk, not when I sit or let my testicles hang untouched.  Nonetheless, the blisters are there and they are in the area I put the Gold Bond on in the highest amounts.  Is it possible I have burned my scrotum with the powder?  Or is it something worse?  I don't really see how it could be herpes because it'd be more likely to be on my penis as well.  There are no signs of any irritation on the penis.  Have you ever heard of overmedicating with Gold Bond?  What does this sound like to you?
It sounds like irritation or eczema.  Blisters can be from many reasons, including irritation or skin infection with bacteria or virus.  For proper diagnosis and treatment, please see your doctor--what you have sounds uncomfortable and the kind of thing that needs to be treated or else it will stay uncomfortable for some time.  The Gold Bond may have caked up and caused irritation, so I'd stay away from that for the time being--just gentle cleansing and vaseline.

Take care.

Dr. Rockoff
To add to this, I was diagnosed with mild eczema back in 2001 and I'm not sure if this is what caused this, combined with the overuse of the Gold Bond.  It's the blistering that is concerning me.  They don't pop unless I pop them, and then they bleed a little bit.
One more thing about the blisters, they are not clear.  They are a pus colored blister, followed by a mild bleed which usually stops after I dab it with a paper towel.  I know that herpes are clear fluid blisters which is about the only consolation I can find right now.  I'm really concerned about what is going on with me down there.  Can chafing cause blisters on the scrotum?
Yes.  It could be eczema plus chafing.  Please see your doctor.  Thanks.  Dr. Rockoff
Thank you.  I am headed to the doctor this morning, mainly because this problem as caused me to not be able to walk very well.  But your reply has helped put my mind at ease.  I am very grateful for your help!!
It could be tinea cruris, otherwise known as jock itch or a number of other skin funguses.  Try using cortizone 10 "cream", which you can buy at every pharamcy on the planet, and i am 100% certain it will go away.