Rash on toddlers cheek

My one year old son has had a circular rash on his right cheek for over two months now.  It appears to be two circle patterns actually.  It goes from bright red pustules, to a scaly pink rash, to almost cleared up.  This pattern repeats over and over again.  He also has a rash on his buttocks, that is similar and seems to present itself when the rash on his cheek flares up.

Hydrocortisone helps, as does keeping the cheek very moisturized, but nothing seems to cure it.

What could this possibly be?

Thank you.
From the symptoms it looks like eczema. Eczema is a form of chronic dermatitis (rash).Allergic reaction is one of the important causes of eczema. Allergic reaction can occur to strong soaps, Solvents, chemicals, certain foods, food additives, plants, metals, cosmetics, even urine and faeces of some animals (dust mites).

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.