Rash on top of hands

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology - rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Rash on top of hands

I have recently found a rash on the top of my hand.  There are small bumps below my fingernails and on the side of my fingers.  They are not painful or itchy.  They are not very noticeable to people but I know they are there.  I don't know I got the rash on my hands because I do not think I have any reactions. I was hoping to get an answer if there is one?
Avatar dr f tn

Differentials for rash or bumps on the fingers will be irritant dermatitis, contact dermatitis, herpetic whitlow, dishydrosis and onychomycosis. In your case you have noted of bumps on your fingers specifically involving the sides of your nails and below your nails. Bumps below the nails require further evaluation. How do you describe these bumps? Are they reddish or skin colored? These bumps beneath the nails, do they elevate the nails? Any changes in the nail's character?

Dermatitis usually presents with redness and itchiness. Known triggers and irritants may cause the itchiness. Herpetic whitlows present as bumps with clear to yellowish fluid beneath them. The base of the herpetic clusters is usually red and they present with  burning or tingling pain. Dishydrosis may present with white vesicles that have a tough outer covering. It may eventually excoriate and cause an eczematous rash.

This may not be something urgent. However, I suggest that you have this assessed by a dermatologist to have your concerns answered.