Rash on torso/arms/legs

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Rash on torso/arms/legs

About 3 weeks ago i noticed a rash developing on my chest.  It had no particular shape but it was red and the center was scaly and pealed off sometimes.  After a week or so I noticed it spread all over my stomach/arms and upper legs (less on the legs and arms).  It is mostly concentrated on my stomach.  It now looks like small red blotches all over that get worse after i shower and tend to get less and less as the day goes by.  It comes back when I sweat or shower or have any stress.  I went to a dermatologist and he said it was Pityriasis Rosea.  I read up on that and it says it concentrates more on the back in a "christmas tree" fashion.  I have some of it on my back but it isn't shaped like that and again the concentration is more on my stomach.  Could this be anything else?
  • rash (1 replies):
    i am a 28 year old male. i ahve had a rash on my back, s...[more]
  • Red spots? (1 replies):
    I have had these red spots for a few months now (4-6 mon...[more]
  • red blotche (1 replies):
    I have this red medium size blotche on my upper thigh. ...[more]
  • Skin bumps (1 replies):
    I am 46 years old. I have these bumps, what I would cal...[more]
  • treatment (1 replies):
    Aprox, one week ago I found some red patches in the groy...[more]
From the symptoms it looks like pityriasis rosea. Pityriasis rosea is a common human skin disease which presents as numerous patches of pink or red oval rash. The rash may be accompanied by low-grade headache, fever, nausea and fatigue and sometimes by itching.

No treatment is usually required. In most patients, the condition lasts only a matter of weeks or months (upto six months). In severe cases, steroids may be needed.

If the rash persists then it will be best to get it evaluated from a dermatologist. Other possibilities have to be ruled out then. I hope it helps. Take care and please do keep me posted in case you have any additional doubts. Kind regards.