Dermatology Expert Forum
Rash that covers entire body

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Rash that covers entire body

My 18 year old son has a rash that covers ALL of his body except the palms of his hands, the bottom of his feet and most of his face. The rash looks like small red specks approx 1mm wide that are just under the skin, not raised, bright red like blood or like tiny strawberry birthmarks. In some parts of his body they are like pimples, they are raised and 1-2 mm wide. They range from red flat spots to a dark, dry looking rash similar to pimples or chicken pox. No discharge.Some of them dry up and scab.His back, buttox and inner arms and legs are the worse. In an area that is one inch square you would find 20 or so, spots or rash bumps. He has had it for approx 3 months. His family doctor has no idea what it is. When he does anything physical, or is around high temperatures or large crowds, he doesn't sweat, instead his skin (not the rash itself, but the skin underneath) gets these large blotches of bright pink/red all over his body. They can be several inches wide & are shaped like what it looks like if you spill liquid. They look the color of baby's cheeks when they have a fever. When this happens he gets a sudden terrible itch all over and worse than that his skin burns. He describes the burning like pins and needles being pushed into his skin or like tiny splatters of very hot oil. It is very painfull. More so on his chest and the back of his neck. At this pont, his only relief is to run (literally) to the shower and stand under cold water. This and pain pills help the burning and pain slowly go down. After 30 min or so, the pink/red blotches and pain go away but the rash itself is always there. He can get anywhere from one to several of these "attacks" a day, some more painful than the others. Aside from this he is a healthy 6 foot 200 lb 18 yr old kid. We are a large family who shares everything but no one else has this problem. Any idea what it could be? Can organ failure cause these symtoms (symptoms)? Any medical Universites that can help?
Tags: rash
I apologize, but I cannot suggest a diagnosis based on the signs and symptoms you describe.  What I can suggest is that your son consult a dermatologist, who would be in the best position to examine and test him as needed, in order to figure out what is going on.  He may have some form of hives.  He might try taking an antihistamine like Benadryl or Claritin (both over-the-counter) to see whether they suppress the red splotches and itch to some extent.  He should also take photographs of the rash at its worst when he sees the dermatologist, in case the rash has subsided by that point.  This does not sound like organ failure.

Take care.

Dr. Rockoff