Dermatology Expert Forum
Rash with Itchy spots only at night

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Rash with Itchy spots only at night
Husband has had a problem for the past six months - nine months.  He develops a rash that is itchy on his arms, legs, chest and back.  The rash is so itchy he can hardly sleep.  Different spots each night.  Most times the rash is accompanied by bumps.  The rash and itchy spots completely go away by morning.  We have not changed soaps, lotions etc.  Also when he takes a shower, each time he has red marks on his back that look as though someone scratched him, after awhile they go away.  He doesn't want to go to the doctor, but I am concerned what is causing this.  Thank you for your help.
My best guess is that this is dermographism, a form of hives in which rubbing the skin releases histamine, which leaves a trail of redness that looks like a scratch.  The cause is unknown, but it has no internal significance and it eventually foes away by itself.  I suggest trying an over-the-counter non-sedating antihistamine like Claritin 10 mg per day and an itch lotion like Sarna, to be applied as needed.  (This is also over-the-counter.)  If the rash doesn't respond, he should see a doctor.

Take care.

Dr. Rockoff
Is it just your husband itching? I know I was just dionosied (SP) with scabies!! I know scary. But my DR told me it is like catching a cold. If it just him them I am wrong b/c both of you would have it. Just trying to suggest something.
Nope, scabies doesn't fit.

Dr. Rockoff
A related discussion, continuous itching was started.
A related discussion, Itchy rashes at night? was started.
A related discussion, Please help was started.
A related discussion, What is this pyramid wart! was started.