Dermatology Expert Forum
Rash with hot shower and sweating

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Rash with hot shower and sweating

About 4 years ago i had red spots on my upper arms and back when i got out of the shower, but would go away after a few minutes.  I now have lighter spots of skin on those areas and some of them have minor scaling, and it seems to only happen during the winter months.  Is this just a dry skin condition or something else.  Also, about a month ago I developed an itchy rash that i think was hives for about a week and a half, but benedryl did nothing.  There were even times where I had these "hives" on my forehead and upper cheek.  Now, whenever I sweat or am even just a little warm, or get out of shower my face gets really blotchy with red spots, mainly my forehead or upper cheek.  I am worried its hiv related because i've read about "Eosinophilic pustular folliculitis."  My girlfriend and I each had unprotected sex with other people once before about 4 years ago.  She recieved an STD from her gynecologist 1 1/2 years after dating and it was negative, but the test was a swab of her genitals and not a blood test.  Is HIV detectable this way?  And what do you think is causing my face to turn blochy with red spots, and also spots on my arms to lose pigmentation?  Your help is very much appreciated and thank you for anything you can provide for me.
The dry skin and blotchiness is probably eczema, which can lead to skin pigment changes.  Your mention of eosinophilic pustular folliculitis means you are spending way too much time on the internet, worrying about this.  If you're concerned about STD's, please have yourself tested so you can get this off your mind, and have a dermatologist take a look at the rash and set you straight on that.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
I appreciate your insight about the eczema.  However, I haven't been spending lots of time on Internet worried about STDs.  I was looking up reasons for my red spots and blotchiness and looked at many dermatology sites and read one about the follicutis.  It alarmed me I began thinking.  You didn't answer my question about my girlfriends STD test from the gynechologist by taking a sample from genitals.  If you do, I'll know if I need to get tested or not.  This all started today and i haven't been worrying way too much about.  I came across this site donated for some advice.  I am  thankful for what you supplied, but really need to know about the STD test.  Thanks.
I'm glad you're not worrying.  Of the many causes of folliculitis, which is a pretty common condition, the HIV-related eosinophilic one is among the rarest.

Herpes cultures are taken with swabs.  Syphilis tests are generally blood tests, as are HIV tests.  If you have reason to fear that she has syphilis or HIV, then she would have to have blood tests to rule them out.  You'll have to decide how concerned you are about that.  But you really should let a doctor have a look, because the signs and symptoms you're paying close attention to don't sound to me like STD indications.

Dr. Rockoff
Hey, I'm definately not a doctor, but I was on MedlinePlus and some of your symptoms sound like the symptoms of Polycythemia vera. You should check it out.
I have a similar rash that started about 7 years ago (I'm 25 now) and thought it was due to a reaction to laundry detergent.  I switched brands and it disappeared.  About 2 years ago it popped back up and switching brands didn't help.  This rash is located on my upper chest to a little above my neck line.  It consists of blotches of red that have eventually just come together in a big mass.  There is a bit of dry skin every now and then that will flake, but not constantly.  There is also no pigment change around the red.  It doesn't itch or hurt, but I can tell it has spread.  There are some small blotches on my upper back and across my shoulders and it has risen up my neck a bit.  It is relatively unnoticeable during day to day activities, but it is very noticeable right after a shower or after sweating, which means after work because I work in a kitchen.  It is more of a nuisance than a problem but should I have it checked anyway.
A related discussion, Red patches/Spots on left fore-arm,bicep,chest was started.
A related discussion, pink patches was started.