Dermatology Expert Forum
Rashes after shower or sweating AND blisters on ring finger

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

I have 2 skin issues that I am currently dealing with.  The most annoying is the rash I get after a shower or workout.  I have read the post listed on your site concerning this subject, however, my issue is a bit different.  The rash appears as red, itchy blotches along the hairline, on the neck, chest, and back.    (About 17 years ago, I had the same reaction to hot water and sweat and it mysteriously went away over time.) I have noticed over the last year or so that my skin has become very sensitive in terms of being itchy (for example, I have the sporadic itch here and there while I'm typing - very annoying) and my skin turns red very easily and sometimes becomes raised at the slight stroke of a hairbrush on my face.  I'm wondering if this might be a dust mite allergy?  I was tested - and treated 16 years ago for numerous respiratory allergies - one of which was dust mites, that eventually went away over time.  Could these allergies be resurfacing through the skin?

A more recent issue is a rash I have developed under my "ring finger."  Again, this is slightly different from the similar post I read on your site.  I started to notice redness on the top of my finger where the ring sets - about 6 months ago.  Over time the skin would crack slightly.  2 months ago, the itchy blisters began to appear.  That's when I kept the ring off. Over the counter hydrocortisone takes care of the itching and redness / scar goes away after about 2 weeks, but I am not able to wear the ring for even a few hours without suffering from another breakout - even when the skin is completely healed.  (The ring is also clean and dry when placed on the finger.)  I had been wearing my wedding ring for the last 5 years with no issue - this is a new development.  Is it possible that I am all of a sudden, allergic to platinum?
No, the after-shower rash doesn't sound like an allergy.  Sometimes heat and moisture trigger histamine release--it's a kind of non-allergic hives.  You might try taking Claritin 10 milligrams per day for a couple of weeks to see if if that suppresses it.  As to your overall sensitivity, I can't explain that or think of a way of relating it to the symptom.

As to your ring, platinum allergy is rare.  More likely, soap and other things are getting trapped underneath.  Try leaving your ring off when you wash, and so forth.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
I also have kind of the same reaction when showering, swimming, or sweating, however I get hives on my torso and back.  I've had it for a couple years and my doctor, who had never seen it before, perscribed Zyrtec which I have taken almost continuously.  The zyrtec has not seemed to help, the only effect that it had was it turned the big rashes into tiny dots for a while.  I would really like to know of any sort of treatment for this also.
i have almost the same problem but mine is just during the summer i get these really itchy small red bumps and depending on how much i itch them they turn into littler blisters with water in them the blisters are never bigger than the very tip of a pen
I started getting similar blisters under my rings when I was a teenager, then under my watch - which I thought was maybe an allergy.  As I got older they began to develop at random on one finger, spreading to 2 and 3 and then would come and go in that general area - eventually turning into what a doctor FINALLY diagnosed as eczema (the "oozing" type !?!).  I simply don't wear rings or watches anymore (creates havoc in a bar when people realize I AM married) but I still struggle with the 3 finger thing anyway.
Thanks Dr. Rockoff - everything you suggested seems to be working.  I now take my rings off when I wash my hands - no breakouts - AND I am on day 6 with Claritin 10mg. . .the shower rashes and random itching has stopped.  THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!!  I am a much happier person.
I also have this problem and it's called Miliaria Rubra - aka prickly heat.  This started for me in my pre-teen years and was told by a doctor that I would grow out of it.  I did for some time, but it has returned with a vengeance.  I am now 28 and have had this for about the last 3 years.  It occurs because the sweat glands are clogged and the itchy lesions come from the sweat trying to get out.  This will subside when the body temperature cools, however be careful as to not get over heated in extreme heat b/c heat exhaustion can occur.  Good luck with this.  It's annoying, that's for sure.  I have noticed though on my really itchy days after a hot shower medicated powder feels pretty good on it.
A related discussion, rash appear on skin after showering...etc. was started.
The past 2 weeks I've just started getting a rash in the same place on my neck back and stomach every single time I shower/bath. It is not an allergy to soap as I get it even when I don't use anything. It goes away after being out of the shower for out half an hour and I was wondering if anyone knew what it was?it can get pretty bad and its only came on past 2 weeks and only happens when I bathe. Any advice on what this is would be great!
A related discussion, Shower Heat rash was started.