Rashes after swimming in chlorine pool for two children

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

I have two children, 4 & 6 who swim daily in a chlorine pool at daycare.  This is their 3rd summer swimming there.  The week that the pool was opened this summer my son had a rash behind his knee that the pediatrician diagnosed as eczema.  He gave me some steroid ointment and it went away.  Couple weeks later he started with something that looked similar in the folds of his arms (in front of his elbows).  Used hydrocortizone and it seemed to help and go away.  Meanwhile, he started getting it in his armpits and also my daughter started getting it as well.  I am not sure if it really is eczema.  Also, the doc had me use hydrocortizone ointment rather than cream because he says it's less irritating but I'm wondering if that dries them out too much.  The rashes sort of look scaly or scabby although I know they aren't scabs because they never were bleeding or anything.  I'm wondering if it has something to do with the chemicals of the pool because there is one other kid at the daycare that has a rash like this and one other kid there that started to have dry just dirty looking, rough skin on his neck.  Please help.  I'm not able to get back in to the pediatrician for a few days and my kids are miserable.  Just yesterday they went back in the pool after a few days out and their armpits were really red, looked almost blotchy like heat rash, plus they still had their other rashes there in the armpits.  Thank you.