Rectal/Anal Skin Tags
Has anybody gone through rectal/anal skin tag removal?  

I had one removed by my doctor in his office.  He used lidocaine (6 shots that were unbelievable painful) to numb the area and cut it off and cauterized the area.  

I'm having a rough time - I feel like I have the worst hemorroid flare up going on right now.  I'm taking colace and fiber supplement, drinking plenty of water and began using the Desitin a few days before they recommended I start.  I dread going to the bathroom, but I go regularily.  I can't wipe so I'm taking showers and bath several times a day.  

Does anybody have any similar experiences or suggestions to offer?  
Just had my anal skin tag removed 14 days ago. Pain was minimal. My concern is the swelling. It has gone down soo slowly and the swelling itself is kind of hard. I don't see the doc for another 2 weeks. Think it'll go down by then?
I have a huge anal skin tag, size of a prune I would say.  I tried the small braid bands as well and the tag grew to 3 times the size and looked like it had changed to hemmoroid.  It was so painful I could stand it, and took the band off, did I take it off too soon?  Another thing my tag surround the entrance.
Holy crapper..No pun intended..But your feedback is GREATLY appreciated! I am going thru pure hell the past 3 weeks as I have had tags for as long as I can remember but never ever bothered me except for cosmetic reasons for me but never caused me pain up until 3 weeks ago, well it started out as 1 then 2 now there is like a flippin califlower of them ontop of each other, anyway my doc saw them when they first started and thought they where hemroids and gave me some expensive ointment I bought and only made them worse and I felt like and still feel like I have a foot up my butt as the pressure is unbearable so unbearable that I took a trip to the E.R and I have a very high pain tolerance, but man I was climbing the walls, E.R. doc now tells me they are tags??? I thought I had the worse case in reading some of your comments on here, I don't feel so alone...I think I noticed mine 28yrs ago after giving birth to my first child and the pain I have now with the pressure was the same pain, I had with my first child as I had back labour and swore he was exiting out my backside...So I guess this is where the tags come from??? But I also 35yrs ago had a bad experience with toilet bowl full of blood and was told at hospital that it was because I have so many roids? up inside of me that they will grow out? So hmmmm hemroids or tags? grrrr PAIN intense is all I can say...Ice pack became my best friend but did not help any in long run, just soothed me for awhile and I hoped swelling would go down but nope..Anyway gonna try the steroid cream and antibiotic the E.R. prescribed as apparently they are infected??? how? I jump in like all of you do in a hot bath to clean and can't touch the area and man, I am to that point of bandaid or floss procedure as I will right now do about anything to rid them for good...Oh I did see a gastro doc about 15yrs ago as I had my gallbladder removed and said hey doc can you look at these embarrassing 2 things dangling on my anus he said well we can remove them it is up to you but keep in mind it is very painful and they usually only grow back???? hmmmm I thought well they did not bother me then but cosmetic only so opted out on removal...I can't tell you the screaming I am doing here reading how you actually cut them off oh my God, I am in pain but wowwwwwwww OUCH just thinking of it..Oh my God the thought, but the ahhhhhhhhh of just having them gone whewwww this is worse then a toothache..I find sitting makes it worse and lying down helps but realistically as a Mother & Wife things need to be done around my home hehe...But I am so glad I found this site and do not feel so alone...My Sister told me about the band aid and I thought oh my god I can't touch the area never mind wrap a flippin band aid around my flower collection down there...My concerns are would the floss or band aid work if hemroids or tags as I have different doc's saying different things...and hmmmm I was told I probably could have fissures inside growing out what if they are fissures does the floss & bandaid procedure help all hemroids, tags or fissures???? I feel relief in my mind reading this site, now to get relief of the pain and pressure from the rectum...Oh and I thought I lost my dignity during child birth, man how embarrassing going to doc's for anus grrrrrr...Any advice be greatly appreciated, just honestly I am scratching the walls with the pain and swelling but not enough I don't think to cut those puppies off hehehe...OUCHHHHHHH Use who have done that kuddo's and hope all is well and you are very brave and I am sure fed up like myself but again OUCH...  
I had a tag removed 9 days ago. Mine was where is referred to as 'the smelly bridge', (inbetween my lady hole and my bum hole.)
Id had it for a few yrs, but it had gotten bigger and was quite often sore, itchy or just irritating.
So i went to my docs, i was embarrassed to show him, but hes been my family doctor since i was about 8, (im now 36), and i thought 'Hes a doctor, hes seen a lot worse'.
Anyway he booked me in for an appointment for him to perform the surgery assisted by a sister/nurse.
I had to put my feet up on stirrups, which was a bit embarrassing, but thought i wanted it gone so this is what ive got to do.

I had about 4 injections to numb me, which i have to say stung like hell.
if i ever wanted to torture someone i know where id stick needles.!
i had the tag sliced off and stitched.
My doc had said before hand "I'll just cut it off and put a stitch in it".
So i was thinking ok quick and simple.
It seemed to take a lot longer than what i thought it would, prob about 1/2 hr altogether.
I couldnt feel no pain, just movement, and i could feel that he had put more than 'just a stitch', so it must of been bigger than we thought, because im sure he put in about 4 stitches, cant say ive looked THAT closely.

I have to take 'Loperamide' regularly as i have Acute Anxiety, which causes me to have too regular bowl movements, and the tablets slow it down. So on the morning of the op i took two of them.
Then after my op my doc told me not to take them for a few weeks as it will put strain on the stitches, i never told him i had already taken some :-/
I got home and took a look in the mirror and i could see the area was a lot larger than what i thought  was gonna be affected.

I took Paracetamol for the first two days, it was tender to sit or move around.
Im my sleep i turn over a lot, so i was consciously (and still am) having to make sure i turned over slowly and fully onto my side.

It took 3 days for me to have a BM, i was dreading it. But it wasnt too bad, a bit of pain, and a bit of bleeding (that soon stopped), and a bit of sting afterwards.

Then on about day 4 i noticed when i went to the toilet i could smell what could only be described as a 'period smell', girls would know this is not a nice smell, but i dont have periods as i have the bar fitted, this confused me and i thought there might be congealed blood on my stitches, but i couldnt see anything, then i started to worry it might be infected.
So i got a bowl of warm water and added some Tea Tree oil, and sat in that for a while.
The next day i did the same with some Rock salt, and again the next day, the smell seems to have died down but i can still smell it faintly.

I keep getting this weird sensation of small bubbles in that area, and some sensations like someone sticking hot needles in me, but it lasts for a few mins and goes, but its a horrible feeling, and i seem to get it more of a night time when im lying in bed.
I dont know if its the healing process and not to worry, or the bubble feeling is the drainage that ive read about here? Did anyone else have this?
I wasnt told any of that, i wasnt told to wear a pad or anything thing and now ive noticed ive got red skin on my inner bum cheeks. And it rubs, i can only imagine its what nappy rash feels like, think it might be because ive not worn a pad and the area has stayed moist because of that. So for the past few days ive been applying Germaline or Savalon to the area, which seems to sooth it a bit. Im going to do another Rock Salt soak tonight.
I still cant wipe properly with toilet tissue, it hurts to much, baby wipes are a god send.

I cant really ask my doc any questions about the healing as he sadly retired a few days after doing my op, (tho he did ring me two days later to see if i was ok and if id had a BM, and asked me to let him know it went ok when i did go for the first time which i did) so i dont want the first question to be to my new doc, who i havnt met yet to be 'is my stitches by my bum infected' lol. i think if they were id be in more pain, so im just hoping its all part of the healing process.

Tiffers, I really appreciate this advice!  I get where your coming from and am going to work up the courage to do this, too.  I'm wondering how well the rubber bands stay on when you use the bathroom and what kind of mark it leaves after ward?  
My recent pain began on march 27, 2012.
   I have had a pea sized anal skin tag for about 12 years. It was along the back end of my anus.  This skin tag has never given me any pain before this time but it was bothersome just having it there because of the difficulty regarding cleaning but I was dealing with that.
  At the front of my anus I have had only isolated periods of irritation, itching and burning along the bridge between my vaginal wall and my back area.

Over a two week period it all progressively got worse.  The pain, itching, burning, knife like pain became severe.  Normally I can handle a lot of pain and still manage to care for my family and even work... But this was unbearable pain.  I was brought to tears many times.   I used baths, tucks pads, prep H, metamucil,
Miralax, colace and 5% lidocaine ointment.  I ate a more high fiber diet too but nothing helped... It only got worse.  
Finally I made an appt with a colon / rectal specialist.  I cried during the entire exam from the severe pain.  He asked me to try the lidocaine ointment for a few days and prescribed vicodinn   for the severe
pain.  He said that if it did not help that he would schedule surgery to repair a small fissure that he could see and to remove the skin tag.  Outpatient Surgery was scheduled in the OR at Ochsner Hospital on April 20th.  I was intubated and had general anesthesia.  The rolled me in at 12:20 and I was woken up at 2:20 in the recovery room.  Within 10 minutes the anesthesia wore off an I was again crying in pain.  I was given IV dilaudid, zofran and toredol, and as the pain got less, they started preparing the instructions for me to go home.
April 21st... Pain is severe, I barely managed thru it. I have sutures and a Vaseline gauze dressing stuffed in by butt, there is more gauze between my cheeks.  Butt cheek gauze saturated with lite pink blood drainage so I changed it. No bowel movement, thank goodness.  Taking the pain meds around the clock.
April 22nd... Pain slightly below severe in between med times because they don't last long enough til i can have another dose. Warm bath as instructed
and eased the dressing out of my butt, again saturated with lite pink blood drainage.  Not eating much cause I'm scared to have the bowel movement.  Then I start to get worried about NOT having a bowel movement (getting blocked up) so by the evening I force myself to try to have one. Extremely painful, followed by careful cleaning with baby wipe and then shower for further cleaning and the bath to try to soothe it.  Did I mention I have kids?  When mom is sick not much gets done, by the way.
April 23rd... Pain still bad, very sore with isolated stabbing needle pain, gauze drainage decreasing.. About a half dollar size reddish pink blood
drainage. No bm today.
Today is April 24.... If you want to find out how I do... Post a message and I'll update this in a few days.  Hope this info helps someone.
Thanks for your post.  I'm only 4 days post op so I have a ways to go. Reading your story helps me know that my pain should pass in time.
I wanted to share my experience with removing my skin tab as everyone elses stories helped me get through mine.  I'm actually in my 3rd day post op and the operation seemed better then i expected.  The first day of my operation, i was actually really scared.  I was told by fmily members that it should be quick and easy but really the operation wasn't too bad.  Thank goodness for the anethesia.  The operation as the easy part.  I would say the hard part was actually sticking the needles to get the local anethesia in.  It was hurt a lot and i was so glad when the surgeon finally finished the last one.  Besides that, the cutting and stitching was pretty easy and I barely felt a thing.  The rest of the day was fine as the anesthia didn't wear off.  I walked with a bit of trouble but besides that it was totally fine.  When the anethesia wore off, it kinda stung  bit but I was on painkillers so it didn't last very long.  I had the fortune of not having the site swell (i think) since I had no trouble with it.  I did take a sitz bath twice a day and it  helped with the pain and kept it clean.  So on my third day, it still stings a bit but i wonder if it might be because the stiches came off.  But anyway, today was my first BM and it stung and it bled.. it actually sucked and it hurt but not as bad as I thought everyone descibed it.  Still, I rather not go through it again.  Word of an advice!  Do take some stool softeners because it would have helped since mine was hard and it hurt.  I was prescribed some but didn't think I need it.  I thought wrong!  Well anyway besides that I think it went pretty well.  Still stings a bit but painmeds do help and it seems to be getting better day by day.  Hopefully it heals soon and the stiches go away!  I rather go through everything again and remove the skin tab rather then leave it there for the rest of my life mainly because its a pain to keep clean.  Good luck =)
I had the procedure done today and I was in and out in 30 mins.  The doc shot me with numbing agent.  It was a little painful, but I just continued to breath deeply.  He cut off the skin tag and I didn't feel a thing.  I was so afraid to have this procedure and was putting it off your about 7 years!  Same as other people who posted on here, I felt very self conscious and it was very hard to clean the area.  I am so happy that I got the procedure!!!  I am not taking any pain meds either, just Tylenol.  Good luck!  
Hi all

This is my 11th day of havIng 3 anal skin tags removed and an eua.  Not in ad much pain but pain when i do a bm esp the sting/ burning after.

I am getting a green like discharge from my back passage and looks like i now gave 3 tags left bigger then before is this normal anyone exp the same?

Also i have alot of swelling and i think where they have cut the rags away i am left with 3 incisions which are open and very stingy.

Any help plz?

I know this was a long time ago but I am wondering how you got on with the laser surgery in Turkey.  I will be spending the winter there this year and am thinking of getting a similar procedure.

I felt something weird when I was wiping and asked my Doctor to check it and he said it was a skin tag left from an old hemorrhoid. I didn't even know I had any hemorrhoids. He said it wasn't anything to worry about but the more I think about it I want it gone. I don't want this thing there.
So I guess I need to go back and say I don't care what you think, I'm telling you what I want and I want them removed. I had a few removed from my armpit by another Doctor a few years ago, and they didn't hurt all that much, but reading some of these posts, why does the anal skin tags hurt so much more?
Some essential oils such as Frankincense help reduce swelling and sooth skin
I had two anal skin tags removed 2 weeks ago...one large one outside of the anus and one small one, just inside that protruded out.  I have had them for 15 years and they always had been itchy from bacteria accumulating around and under them.  Several months ago, the one just inside started to bleed when I had a bowel movement.  Finally, I decided to get the removed...and let me tell you...it was the best decision I have ever made.

I went to a colorectal surgeon for the procedure...which he did in the office.  It was very quick.  He gave me two shots, one directly into each skin tag.  It hurt really bad for a second or two and then there was no pain after.  Actually, I really never really had any pain after that during recovery.  Bowel movements were not painful but I did take one stool softener before bed for the first 3-4 nights to avoid hard movements.  I bled slightly for about a week after the procedure and also had some anal leakage for about a week or so.  A Kleenex folded and placed between my cheeks took care of both.  The area where the large skin tag was located remained very swollen for about 10 days and actually looked like the tag was still there.

Tomorrow will be two weeks and I am almost completely healed and the area is pretty smooth now.  The swelling has gone done, bleeding has stop and best of all I do not itch any longer.  I dreaded this procedure for years and wish I had done it much sooner.
the reason there are different reactions , beside the naif one of all being different people of course, from different families and born at different times, but given the importance of the situations, please count also with the fact that all things are under the effect of the movement of the universe. Avoid having a surgery when specially Mars (affects physical activities and surgeries) , Venus (affects beauty operations) and Mercury (decisions, schedullings , contracts and communication) are in retrograde movement (get online information about what this is), i would consider Jupiter and Pluto as well for being related with advancement and transformation respectively. When planets appear  'going backwards' the matters observed as affected tend to do not go well, for some reason, life is full of mysteries that we must take in consideration when are own risks at play, at least
I had a skin tag on my anus, it was big. It kind of looked like a clitoris on my anus, and it grew into my sphincter muscle. It was very strange and I hated having it. I went to several doctors, and none of them wanted to do anything about it because it is the anus, meaning it is dark, dirty, and moist, and they all said that it could easily become affected if they removed it. Finally I round a general surgeon that said she would do it. It was actually surgery. I was put under and then she used a scalpel to cut it out and then sewed my sphincter muscle back together. I was then on a liquid diet for two weeks. I lost a lot of weight, was tired, and it was painful. But I kept it clean by showering after every bowel movement, and everything turned out fine. My anus now looks and feels normal. If you meet a doctor that won't do it, then keep trying. There are doctors and surgeons that are willing to do it.  
Please tell me how long did it take to fully recover from your skin tag removal procedure, and not having any pain
Um, well I was tired the day of my surgery, so I wnt home and went to sleep after the surgery. I took a perscription seditive and was out all that day. The next day I would say the pain was less than I was prepared for, but was still sore. I would say my anus hurt the most for about a week. Then it eased up, but then itched for a week after that. The hardest part was being on a liquid diet for two weeks. The first week was easier cause my body burned up fat but I also lost a lot of muscle. The second week was harder. I was weak and tired. I went in to see my surgeon on day 5 and she told me I could make "enriched" chicken broth if I wasn't getting enough calories in to keep going. So I went to the super market and bought a rotissery chicken and several quart sized cans of chicken broth, carrots, celery, and potatos. Then I deboned the chicken and put all that in a big stew pot and let it simmer for several hours. Then I put a mixer into the pot and pulverized everything, then i strained it though a cheesecloth. I could then drink that and that help a lot. I could then eat solid food on day 14, but still had to shower after I pooped for about 2 more weeks. I would say it was completely over and healed after about 6 weeks.
Hi Susan, I have what you have - my skin tags occurred after a severe bout of hems however. now as you state, after a bowel movement i suffer from slight inflammation , and or itching. then after a few hours nothing.... Some homeopathic remedies im using to alleviate the frustration: Drink 1/2 - 1/2 apple juice and aloe vera juice ( this can be found at walmart, cvs, walgreens, costco, drug imporium, and any healthy supermarket ) i do about 2 cups a day morning and night. externally i put 2 tea sp of olive oil or coconut oil either must be 100% pure, organic the good stuff and 4 drops  NO MORE or else it stings of cypress oil i use the NOW brand of 100% pure Cypress Oil mix well soak on a small cotton pad ( like the ones for make up ) and place directly on tags.... another great thing is to simply apply apple cider vinegar on a cotton ball and apply directly on your Roids or skin tags. . .

just do it one thing at a time and make sure u dont have any negative side effects. if this stuff helps like it does to me then great. good luck keep me posted
i have a whole bunch of skin tags around my anal and vaginal area and i dont want to have any sexual contact with him until they are removed. So my question is, Do I have to go to the ER or a family doctor just to get them all removed? and How long actually did the pain last?
I hope this gives some insights and i need someone to tell me my recovery is NORMAL because im on the verge of frustration and tears.

I just had mine done 3/1/13. I had an anterior and posterior anal tag removed for cosmetic reasons.  posterior as told by my surgeon during consultation shoudl be a clean cut and easy but the anterior might have to go by ear after posterior was removed. procedure was done in office with localized anasthesia. she gave me two lido shots which were real b***h. the posterior tag like she said was easy and took 5 seconds to cut off. well the anastthesia for the anterior wasnt enough so i felt every cut. that was traumatizing and i almost threw up because it was so painful. after the removal she put antibac cream, a cotton ball between my ***, gave me after care instructions, pain med script and i just drove home. dr said anasthesia will be gone in 6 hours so i was expecting excrutiating pain by evening. honestly. without movement no pain. walking and changing positions gave me about 3/10 pain but nothing as traumatizing as the surgery its self.

first day: had my BM as usually in the morning. but took 2 percocet before hand thinking it was going to be severe pain but nope. maybe 3/10 of pain. percocet made me sick and gave severe dizziness and nausa all day (like the WORST hangover you have ever had). ok long story short. Now I am 4 days post op. pain free if I dont try to contract my spincter or sneeze or blow my nose.. actually went to work today which required constant walking.

here is the downside to ALL this. Now i am dealing with what looks like external hemroids. I called the dr she said its just swelling so give it more time. I took a mirror and had a nice closer look today and I wanted to cry. It looked like a freak show. the posterior tag is gone but it left a nice open (almost done healing) slit around the ring of my butt hole. there is abit of swelling to the side of it so it looks like a small tag next to the slit. in the middle of my butt hole is one big one small thrombosed hemroids. and anterior to the hemroids is a smaller slit/healing wound from the anterior tag.  i can feel the pressure, discomfort and maybe occasional pain from the hemroids. I know I am lucky to have no pain and it has only been 4 days post op but can someone PLEASE tell me this was all worth it?!?!? my WORST fear is that after all this pain and suffering i am just going to end where I started: MORE ANAL TAGS and possibility hemroids. :(
I hope you are doing better, please trust me, I know what are you going through as I had the same situation - in short I had hemorroidectomy in the end of December (on something I thought was hemorrhoid but it was large skin tag) - surgery went wrong (best doctor in town) bigger hemorrhoid pop up after 2 weeks (I cried for 2 days straight), I went for second opinion and new doctor said that it is, in fact, large skin tag - I had it removed in the office as you did - yes, I had the exact same hole/slit as you have and again I cried for another day - after 2 weeks hole/slit closed up very nicely. Slit you are reffering to WILL CLOSE - please trust me. DO LOTS of sitz bath with epson salt, helped me a lot. However, yesteday 3/6, I discovered anoter tiny small interior tag - I am planning to have it removed if that will be an option (more cutting there). Your swelling should be gone by two weeks, but if it does look like hemorrhoid and its RED (if this is what you are having) - that will go down.
Please write.  
Today was even worse actually. yesterday I went to sleep crying because I was sore and upset after having an afternoon BM. Cried again this morning because my spinchter went into spasm mid BM and gave me alot of pain(i thought i ripped the wound open).  the wound was extremely sore and irritated. I had to go to work. cried on my drive to work because i was constipated (geez this sounds like a bad hemorid cream commercial). Had massive diarhea at work (yea it just got worse). and i coudnt even shower and clean the area. got home. showered. took a look. well. the area is more swollen. its no longer red. now its just swollen and skin-colored three sore tags. I bought more fiber powder hoping it would easy the stool passing. so hopefully the swelling witll go back down and the slits will close up like you said. or else im just going to be miserable forever.

and good luck with the new tag.

I have never had hemorrhoids or anything to do with my anal opening. EVER...not even after pushing out to babies. Nothing. Until now. I have noticed a small piece of skin that is at the top of the opening. It goes away when I stretch the skin (I know TMI!!!). When it is pinched it does not hurt at all. My issue is, it is ugly and not normal looking. My husband likes anal intercourse once in a blue moon and I usually give in... I want it gone. I don't feel sexy and I don't like the fact that I have to wipe more than normal after having a BM. I usually use the flush able wipes for the softness. MY OB/GYN said to just live with it. Well I really like to be touched all over by my husband but I won't let him look or touch anymore, because I think it is disgusting looking. So I guess I want it gone for cosmetic reasons and for my own self consciousness. Does anyone have any advice? I don't want any pain or surgery. I have had shots in the vag during birth which were OMG out of this world painful so I don't really want that either. Which would be better? General or local? HELP...
I am currently 23 days post surgery. almost all swelling is down and definitely not as traumatizing looking as it did two weeks ago. posterior tag is completely gone. even the post surgical swelling(which i thought was another new tag growing). right now it just looks like I have an anterior tag smaller than the anterior one i had before. but my doctor said just give it a bit more time to heal because the anterior one was difficult to remove because it wasnt a clean cut and right now the area is still inflammed.

I hope in a few more weeks the swelling disappears. BUT.(no pun) i have a feeling the anterior one is going to stay...maybe it might shrink a little but it looks like its staying. I hope I am wrong.
Hi hotbunz88. I had two tags removed 9 days ago and they look exactly how you described yours. Before I read your post I was freaking out because my anal area now looks soooo much worse than before the surgery. But the nurse said that it is normal for it to be swollen like that, and to have what appears to be a hemorrhoid peeking out. In fact she pretty much said "It's going to look like someone hacked it up, like in the movie Saw!" lol But I don't know, I'm just worried that it's going to look like that permanently. I'm 24, female, and this really puts a huuuge damper on my self esteem lol.

How does your area look now and do you have any discharge? I'm getting this weird "period" like smell that someone above also posted about. Also sometimes I get this searing pain which I think is where the incisions sites were. Did that pain go away finally for you?

im about a month and half post op.

posterior tag completely gone. the slit healed up. still anterior tag swelling which looks like anterior tag. and occasionally after BM i wipe I notice fresh blood on my tp. so i made an appt today and did a check up. the dr said there is internal hemoroids which was there before but didnt bother me so she didnt do anything about it i guess after the surgery it was irritated. so she banded the internal hrds. when I got home i used a mirror and took a look. and bam! the anterior swelling was gone!!! and it looked normal FOR ONCE IN 7 YEARS. i guess the swelling i though twas my anterior tag was just residual swellig from the internal hrm. she said the swelling should subside and be patient.

my advice is to keep the area clean. 2-3 scoops of metacil a day. eat less food and mostly veggies. I didnt get any funky smell or discharge. just occasoinal bleeding during my recovery. not too much pain either aside from what was mentioned. sorry I ddint respond sooner! good luck and it will get better i promise!
This is an old story but it is very similar to my experience so far.  I would add my entire experience so far but your story sums up what I have experienced thus far.   I had surgery on April 23, 2013.  The worse part was when the local anesthesia wore off but for the last two days I have been working and up and about as normal but I don't have a overly active routine so I was able to go back to work right after the procedure.  I haven't looked down there and I refuse to until things have calmed down.  The nurse told me to put about 4-5 ice cubes in a bag and put in the area to lesson the swelling and help with the bleeding with is pretty much gone - I do have some discharge but not an abundance.  My doctor cut off 2 skin tags and said the other may flatten out or he may remove it once the area is healing fine.  I didn't have stitches as he said he cuts them off and leaves the area open to heal and that lessons the chance for scar tissue and tearing.  I have faith in my doctor and I am happy I had it done - so far :)  I will certainly report on heal time and final results for those of you who are interested.  Last thing, I don't jump in the tube after every BM - I have a squirt bottle that I fill with warm water and I thoroughly cleanse the area and pat dry and then I put gauge there to catch any drainage, etc.  Good luck to everyone!
This is an old story but it is very similar to my experience so far. I had surgery on April 23, 2013.  The worse part was when the local anesthesia wore off but for the last two days I have been working and up and about as normal but I don't have a overly active routine so I was able to go back to work right after the procedure.  I haven't looked down there and I refuse to until things have calmed down.  The nurse told me to put about 4-5 ice cubes in a bag and put in the area to lesson the swelling and help with the bleeding with is pretty much gone - I do have some discharge but not an abundance.  My doctor cut off 2 skin tags and said the other may flatten out or he may remove it once the area is healing fine.  I didn't have stitches as he said he cuts them off and leaves the area open to heal and that lessons the chance for scar tissue and tearing.  I have faith in my doctor and I am happy I had it done - so far :)  I will certainly report on heal time and final results for those of you who are interested.  Last thing, I don't jump in the tube after every BM - I have a squirt bottle that I fill with warm water and I thoroughly cleanse the area and pat dry and then I put gauge there to catch any drainage, etc.  Good luck to everyone!
Hi hotbunz88

i had my 2 skin tags removed on March 15, 2013 and im not half way healed. Went to my Dr last week for him to tell me that they mght have to go back there and cut me again since i have what looks like a flap of skin coming out of the cut where the tag was removed. Dr said this was not normal. Im scared and do not want to go thru this again. I hope this flap is just swelling and it will go away. For me this experience has been very painful.

Are you all healed up now?
I'm 44 and have had anal tags for years...I remember when I was around 19, my doctor offered to attach a rubber band like material around them to cut the blood off and that they would eventually shrivel and fall off...I didn't take him up on that for some reason so here I am, 25 years later still contemplating what to do.
I'm 18 and recently I got a skin tag on my bum. It's been bothering me like crazy because I've never had anything like this before! It doesn't hurt or anything but I would like to get it removed if possible. I believe I got it after roughly wiping since it swelled up into a balloon but by the next day the swelling went down and now its just extra skin. Any advice?
HI saw your comment on anal skin tag i have them too stiil thought maybe we can talk/are you male or female? IHATE NEEDLES to arm is tolerable but other place HURTTTTT so bad leave email if we can talk thanks
I have been dealing with a medium size tag @ my rectum area & it runs from the outside to the inside about 3/4inches inwards of me though when it gets iratated it can bother me couple weeks or more or less,but when I am eating enough fruits & veggies it reduces to very small & does not bother me @ all,I have been to a surgeon he told me I had so many options that he can cut it off or go through a surgery that actually sounded & looked scarry when I looked it up on youtube how it was done & I said no way so what I will be doing is keep eating right & the pain goes away I just have to deal with the tag,hope this has helped you out....ED
Met a cosmetic surgeon who can remove anal skin tag with RF (radio frequency) technology. It takes a layer off at a time and you're left without a scar; healing time is minimal, 2 to 3 days.

Has anyone done this? I've seen rectal surgeons and they usually say its not worth the pain of getting it cut off, but this method was never mentioned.
Yes - awesome, do it it's the best way by far
boboto did u do it?? mine is small and its bothering me so bad
omg...going tomorrow to have the same! Started as a skin tag and then....ripped somehow! Hurts so much as it rubs on my jeans. The nurse said that it isn't that bad and it will be a bit tender...but not too bad. I have gone through tattoos so I figure my pain tolerance is pretty high. The skin tag is very embarrassing for me....since I've been seeing somebody as of late. Wish me luck! Bottoms up! haha!  
I had a skin tag removed in 2009, about the size of a large grape. The pain and swelling was there for 10 days. He prescribed me Tramadol to help with the pain, which dulled it a bit but also made me constipated. BM was excruciating, on a scale of 1-10, 9.5! There was oozing and discharge and no sex for 5-7 days. All was good for about a year but then they came back. First slightly, and now I have 2, and they are worse as they are bigger than the original one. I also noticed that once emptying my bladder, I feel a little bit more urine still needs to come out, a few drops or so. I had not looked into this when I was getting it done and I wish I had read this beforehand. I regret the initial surgery and was not told this was one of the risks involved.
I have thought about removal again and even booked an op with a different surgeon, who said any stronger pain relief is NOT part of the correct management technique. I am extremely self conscious about getting intimate as they are very noticeable. I don't know what to do as the new surgeon said she wishes she could say that they could just be frozen off but no, they need to be surgically removed. I have read that oils do not work. I just want a normal BH!
I had a radiowave removal of a tag when I was 20. The doctor told me patients usually get 4 anesthetic shots for this, but I still felt everything and ended up getting 14...I still felt some pain and was shaking on that table the whole time. Even though I am typically afraid of shots pretty much everywhere on my body, these were not that bad actually - I guess the first one made it numb enough for the subsequent ones. Using the bathroom during the recovery was extremely painful, worse than the most acute hemorrhoid pain. And the worst part is that the skin tag came back after a couple of years... Obviously I can't keep cutting it off every other year. Even though it bothers the hell out of me, another removal via an operation doesn't seem like a good option...
Hi. I have a skin tag for about 10 years now. At times it hurts me very bad. I went to the doctor n he prescribed  me a cream for the pain. I'm really happy for the cream but I just want the anal tag to go away.
Female, 38 yrs. I did it Jan. 2017. Dr would only do surgically, under general anesthesia. 2-3 days on the couch and expectation that you will be uncomfortable though no severe pain. Eat lots of fiber and drink water, plus stool softeners daily. Sitz bath daily. Use toilet wipes to ensure you're clean. Limit walking to avoid pain. Know it's tmi but really helped: sleeping open air, no underwear, on my stomach, with anti-chafing ointment (got on Amazon, for adults) helped immensely. No regrets as I was afraid it was inhibiting ability to stay clean and worried about infection.
Mid/late 20's female. Medium pain tolerance.

Had 3 bandings of internal hemroids - 1 band at a time at 2-3 week intervals (do not let your doctor band more than 1 at a time or you will be in excruciating pain) dull ache for first 24 hours but nothing a hot bath couldn't fix, definitely recommend getting the banding done if you have internal hemroids.

Third banding appointment I was told I had two external skin tags and made an appointment for the removal.

Two days ago was my rectal skin tag procedure under local anesthetic. I had one smallish tag and one large tag. I was quite nervous after reading all the horror stories on here but I decided to get it over with. The local anesthetic did not hurt as bad as the reviews on the internet Had me thinking. Yes it does hurt, it's over with quickly and your not going to scream or jump off the table lol.

I've been suffering with chronic back pain for over 15 years and this is nothing compared to a back spasm or buldging disc.

You can feel the pressure of the doc cutting but there's no pain. I got sutures put in - No cauterizing Done. Only part of the surgery that was painful was the local anesthetic.

When I saw the off skin tags I gasped. They were almost double the size of what I thought they were. Was pretty happy to know that those weren't down below anymore!

Got my pain meds after procedure. Went home had meds and stool softener as soon as I got home and drank a bunch of water. Layed down for the rest of the day. No pain for 7 hours, after 7 hours felt slight burn. Sitz bath did not relieve any pain for me in the first 48 hours and I thought it made it worse. Slept a lot. I Kept taking pain meds at 4 hour intervals. I also am on muscle relaxants and anti inflammatories for my back - think this also helps!

Second day wasn't awesome but the pain was tolerable. At this point I didn't think the pain meds were working at all for me but I kept taking them! I slept most of the second day thanks to the muscle relaxants. Set alarm for every 4 hours so I wouldn't forget meds.

Small bowel movement on the second day. Had a sitz bath. The bowel movement itself wasn't bad. The burn after the sitz bath wasn't fun but eventually went away.

Slept throughout the night, some pain.

Third day and I'm feeling pretty good. Pain isn't as bad. Had a tiny bowel movement. Did not strain or push. Whatever comes out comes out. Bathtub to wash up.

My diet is raw veggies, soup broth, couple baby cookies. Nothing too solid. Take your stool softeners as prescribed. I've been drinking coffee, green tea and lots of water.

I've looked at it and there's a small swollen bump - read this will go away- but I actually have an *******? Lol!

No regrets this far. There's pain but it's not excruciating. I would definitely take the first 5 days off work if you can. Or at the very minimum 3 days. Gives it a chance to heal. Limit walking and sitting for the first few days too, again to give it some time to heal.

Laying on your stomach is probably the most comfortable position.

The blow dryer is amazing! After bath I dry the area using the blow dryer. I find if the area is wet it stings. I am not using any sort of cream - doc didn't want me too and he said I do not have to put Epson salts Or anything fancy in the bath.

I have used table salt in the bath, fresh out of Epson salts lol. Will take one bath with the salt once a day and rest without salt. Make sure not to put too much salt or you'll get burning!

Happy to have my butt back! Just waiting for it to heal.

Update: 7th day after procedure. Everything seems to be healing ok. Inflammation just starting to go down.

Decent amount of pain during bowel movements. Have that sitz bath ready!

I can sit, lay down and walk without pain.

Still getting some bleeding from the area. minimal.

The end of one suture came lose and it's been a pain in the butt - the rest of it is still sutured to my butt. Any tugging going on and it's a good sting.

I'll try to update after everything is healed.

I have an anal skin tag for 20 years! Notice that yes it had gotten big and more sensitive lately. My one problem that worries the hell out of me is....what about those of use who has keloids!!! Is there anyone out there who has terrible scaring. I can deal with pain but not scarring.  
I had a lima bean sized anal skin tag removed 2 days ago. I have been dealing with this skin tag since the age of 18 when I had a bad case of external hemorrhoids. It made me self conscious and was hurting my sex life. It also caused irritation when I ran, and made it more difficult to wipe. I always had to keep baby wipes on me or use the bathroom at home.

The procedure itself was not bad at all. I had it done in the office under local anesthetic. The lidocaine shots did not hurt because the surgeon did them very slowly. He used an electrical device to cauterize the tag and left the wound open (no stitches). I walked home after the procedure and everything was fine. I did not have any real pain the day of the procedure. Maybe just some stinging.

The following morning, I woke up with literally no pain whatsoever. Later that morning, I had a bm. The bm itself did not hurt, but I did experience aching after and I had to lay down almost immediately to get over the pain. Also, there was a lot of blood in the toilet after I went. I did not try to clean myself up till the pain subsided 15 minutes later. Gross, I know, but I did not want to sit on the toilet for a long time and make the pain worse or cause further dilation of the vessels. I am also wearing period pads so everything is well contained and I showered after as well. The rest of the day was fine, very little pain. I did look at the tag and so far, it does not look any better than it did before surgery. It is swollen in the exact pattern of the actual tag that I had removed. This is normal apparently, and I have faith that it will improve.

Today is day 3 (2 days post procedure) and I am in a little bit of pain. Bm was more painful today than yesterday, and there was still a considerable amount of blood. It feels even more swollen today than yesterday. However, I am still able to walk around and I am not in any serious pain. Now it just feels like having hemorrhoids, but I think that is just due to the swelling.

I wrote this to encourage others to get the procedure done if you are on the fence! I was so scared to have it done and it is not NEARLY as bad as I was expecting. Pain has been a 4/10 at the absolute worst times, which is immediately after going #2, and that only lasts a few minutes. If you are only getting a tag removed, it's really not that big of a deal. Don't be deterred by all the horror stories. However, if you are having a hemorrhoid removed, that is an entirely different story and I am sure that is much more painful. Anyway, I hope to be able to update this in a week or two with good news of a satisfactory result. I can't wait to have a normal butt again!
Updates. Day 3 and 4 post procedure have been tough. I was hoping to feel better by now but I am not. The actual incisions are not hurting but the swelling really hurts. Sitting and walking are uncomfortable but not painful. Again, it's not the horror story I was expecting, but I am still unsure of my decision to have this done since it looks worse than before and hurts quite a bit. It seems like it's going to be at least another week before I feel better. I am still bleeding lightly and going to the bathroom is not fun. However, I did not bleed when I went #2 today so I'll take it! Any improvement is great. I had the procedure on a Tuesday and was not able to return to work on Friday. I am sure Monday will be a different story.
Days 5 and 6 post procedure update. Definitely still in pain. I have to go to work today so I'm hoping I can make it through the whole day. BM is painful, and on day 5 I noticed that I get really bad muscle cramps after going, and those take a few hours to calm down. There is less bleeding when going #2 but definitely still some. Also, the wound itself is still bleeding. It was reduced to clear red tinted fluid but for the past 12 hours, it's bright red. I think I may have stretched the incision site accidently in my sleep. Also, I've noticed that when I have to go #2, I am given very little warning and I have trouble holding it back. I don't think that signifies incontinence, but just stating it in case someone can relate. Swelling is starting to go down. Day 6 post procedure was the first day when I noticed any visual improvement.
Days 7 and 8 post procedure. Still bleeding but it is getting better. I had a weird feeling that something popped yesterday morning, followed by a lot of blood coming out. But other than that, the bleeding is really going down. I am back to work and feel fine. Work is not too strenuous, but good luck if you have to go to the bathroom during work. Still bleeding a lot with bowel movements and it's still painful. But it's manageable, unlike how it was the first few days. Also, it is day 9 post procedure now and I'm starting to itch a lot down there. There is still significant swelling but that is also slowly getting better. I'm not sure how it's gonna turn out when things are finally healed but I am skeptical that it will ever be smooth.
Day 13 post procedure. Still very swollen and still have discharge from the wound. Going to the bathroom is much less painful and I'm barely bleeding. Can't say it looks any better than it did before tho. It is still early so I hope it will improve.
Day 19 post procedure. Still swollen but it looks a lot better than before the procedure. I hope it goes down more but even if it doesn't, I still don't regret having it done. It was so big before and now it's not that noticeable. There is still discharge from the wound so I hope that improves soon.
Day 28 post procedure. Still swollen, still have some pain when going to the bathroom. I am very afraid this was all for nothing. It only looks about 50% reduced from the original size. The doctor says it is external hemorrhoids at this point but I'm not entirely sure that's right cuz the lump left over right now is not very painful and it's a little bit squishy like the tag. I still hope it will go down more but I could honestly cry. This was so painful and I really wanted to look normal down there.
Just wanted to give a follow up. I am over 2 months post procedure. It doesn't hurt anymore and actually bothers me less than it did prior to the procedure. So yay for that. It still bleeds slightly after bowel movements, and bowel movements are rarely pain free. I also still have some skin left over but it is smaller than the original tag. I'll take it I guess. I will probably have this redone to get rid of the remaining tag. It hurt so incredibly bad but I think it will be worth it.