Rectal/Anal Skin Tags

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Rectal/Anal Skin Tags

Has anybody gone through rectal/anal skin tag removal?  

I had one removed by my doctor in his office.  He used lidocaine (6 shots that were unbelievable painful) to numb the area and cut it off and cauterized the area.  

I'm having a rough time - I feel like I have the worst hemorroid flare up going on right now.  I'm taking colace and fiber supplement, drinking plenty of water and began using the Desitin a few days before they recommended I start.  I dread going to the bathroom, but I go regularily.  I can't wipe so I'm taking showers and bath several times a day.  

Does anybody have any similar experiences or suggestions to offer?  
I have not gone through this but have pondered.  I have 1 skin tag which I am dying to get removed but dont know how to even go about it.  My gastroenterologist said it would be too much trouble.

How long can you not wipe>?  What kind of doc did the surgery?>

I just had my skin tags removed today. The proceedure was completely painfree.
There is a bit of discomfort now a few hours after but instead of using pain medication I
take epsom salt sitsbaths, it works!
Check out: center for colorectal health.
I just recently had 3-skin tags removed on October 16, and I have had discomfort from them, swelling at every bowel movement, hygiene issues and they were just making my life difficult to funtion normally.  I had to shower after evey movement because it was difficult to wipe, there were in comparison to a daisy in shape at the lower end of my anus.

My gastro doctor referred me to a colon rectal doctor, who both, didn't recommend that I do anything with them, but I was very insistant becuse as I age, I don't want this to be an issue anymore.  

My family doctor would have gladly done it in his office, but I couldn't bear the lidocaine shots, so my procedure was done by my colon rectal doctor in the OR, it lasted about 15 minutes if even that.

I started on pain meds before I left the hospital, after the numbness wore off, I was in a considerable amout of pain, I do have a low pain tolerance, so I took the pain meds, but the most tedious of the procedure is the sting after a bowel movement.  I make sure I have a warm bath ready, my colon rectal doctor recommended also, no use of soaps, ointments, creams or wipes.  

After about day number 3 I began using mild baby soap, or ivory soap and took a shower afterwards too.  After the shower, I used a baby wipe rinsed it with very warm water and very carefully, while looking in the mirror, (yes is was a site for sore eyes butt :) patted the area clean.   I use a blow dryer, on lmy vaginal, and rectal area always...I also use a pad or panty liner to keep in eye on the amount of drainage from the area.

I am not in as much pain as the first few days, but the sting is still there after every bowel movement wich is a minimum of 2-3 times per day.  Now,  I have been on the Marilax since about October 13, which is really helping keep the stool easy to pass, and I don't have the discomfort like I did before the procedure, I mean the swelling and all. So, I stay with the warm bath, shower, wipe regimin.  I am glad I had the procedure done, I would rather go through a couple weeks of discomfort to rectify this problem I have had for over 3 decades.  I feel much better today than I did a week ago.

I hope this comment goes through this time, I am not very computer friendly, and I tried to comment 3 times.  Good luck...buttherman
how do you get skin tags?
I'm only 26 and I had a skin tag removed yesterday. My doctor cauterized mine off and I believe she did a brilliant job. Whilst I'm in a little bit of pain I believe that it will only be for a short while. I have no regrets about getting rid of mine. Infact, I feel free, sexy and best of all HUMAN.  I have to admit I was a bit apprehensive about the removal because I'd read so many horror stories about how awful the pain was for others, but I'm honestly not feeling too badly. A little uncomfortable but otherwise, really good. I haven't had to take pain meds at all, I've been drinking a whole tonne of prune juice and water and just to be on the safe side, I've decided that I'm going to eat mashed vege's for about a week to make sure BM's won't be too traumatic.
I was given a cream to prevent infection and I've been having salt water sitz baths 2-3 times a day. I really do feel wonderful.
I recommend anyone who is considering this to talk to your GP and see what they say. My Doctor cauterized it within 15mins. I had a few stitches, but feel fine. If you're really wanting to get rid of them, I say do it. No pain no gain right?
I have a skin tag that is not a flap, but more of a long skin tag.  It is right on the outside of my anal opening and it isn't too big, but the fact that it is there, drives me crazy.  I would say it is the size of a piece of rice and probably a smidgen longer.  I have always had problems with anemia, therefore had to be on iron tablets.  This caused constipation, coupled with birthing three children, brings on the dreaded hemorrhoids.  I was also told many years ago that I had fissures as well.  I was told that anal skin tags come from anorectal problems such as old hems and fissures.  Does anyone know if there is truth to that?  Thanks.
Oh, thank you!  I appreciate your help.  
I am really upset.  I have anal tags which are really swollen and drive me crazy.  I have Chrons Disease.  I have already discussed surgery. No doctor will remove them.  I don't know what to do.
Anyone know how I can make the swelling less?  Thanks.
In the middle of my first pregnancy at the age of sixteen, fifty-four years ago, this "thing' about the size of my little fingernail popped out at the front of my anus. I've just lived with it. But recently I've been thinking about having it removed. Have a small hemorrhoid pushing out at the side of it, and have also had outer veins in the anal area swelling and causing a lot of pain, itching, and misery.
My "tag" has never caused any problem, physically or otherwise. One doctor years ago would put a small nick in it during my annual exam and squeeze the blood out of it.

I've found the most relief from pain, itch and swelling of the outer veins in the anal area using pure aloe vera gel after every trip to the bathroom; washing and drying the area well before applying. I couldn't believe how quickly it worked. I get large tubes of the 100% pure gel at the local Rite Aid store, and wouldn't be without it now.    
I recently found that what I thought were hemorrhoids were in fact anal tags.  I did think it odd that I never had any of the usual symptoms of hemorrhoids, such as itching, burning or any sort of discomfort at all.  I spoke to a pharmacist and explained everything, including the fact that they just seemed to be "there" with none of the typical things that go along with having them.  He thought they were indeed hemorrhoids and had me use an OTC remedy to reduce the swelling.  It didn't work at all.  

It was only after a visit to my physician that he told me they were indeed anal tags.  I suppose my question is this...if they don't bother me (other than I find them unslightly and occasionally clean up takes a bit longer) whether I should even go through any sort of removal at all?  My physician left the decision up to me, and explained what I could expect (worst and best case scenario) for removal.  I'm "on the fence" as to what to do.  

Has anyone heard of anything that can reduce the swelling without any sort of surgery?  That's really what I'd prefer, but after reading the posts above, it seems that if it did exist someone would have tried that already.  Or perhaps someone has tried some homeopathic, OTC or home remedy with limited success that I could try first.  At any rate, I thought I would ask anyway.

Thank you!
I had a big anal skin tag which I hated!

2 different doctors recommnded I leave it alone! So I took matters into my own hands (after failed attempts of using liquids that are suppose to eliminat them, as well as dietary supplements),I took a tiny rubber band (used for small braids) & grabbed the skin & put the rubber band on as close to the base as possible. It took a few attempts. Then I put on another. The first hour I was in terrible pain. I realized that I had either done something very stupid or very smart. I thought at one point I would have to do to the ER. I took some Aleive & after I made it through the hour the pain subsided. The next morning it had turned blue, & by the evening black. At this point there was a small amount of bleeding & I could no longer see the rubber bands. Within 3 days it had fallen off. The area surrounding was a bit irritated but i just applied neosporin & everything was great. I m very happy to not have to deal with rectal skin tags anymore & would recommend this to anyone!
How big is big?  I have two, each the size of a pea.  My gynecologist told me extra skin is normal, but that doesn't seem like a good response since they are a bit of a pain.  Every once in a while after a BM they will get slightly swollen and hardish but return to normal fleshy nonhard lumps after a couple hours.  Anybody have recommendations?  
i had my skin tags removed 2 weeks ago there were 3 of them and they also removed a hemorrhoid too, i had mine done under general anesthetic which i found better because i didnt know what was going on, i dont have any pain now apart from when i empty my bowls, i am so glad i had it done as my main problem before was hygiene, my problem started 4 years ago after child birth and im lucky they removed them because they dont normaly let you have them removed as they are classed as a cosmetic and not a medical condition.

the main worries i had is that after surgery you are prone to infection down there so back and forth to the doctors for antibiotics but anyone considering having the op i would recommend it and keep pushing for the op.  

Ok.... I'm going to my dermatologist tomorrow.  A few days ago, I noticed 3 white bumps on my anus..... on sort of inside (right on the "cusp")  and the other 2 in the general area.  I immediately thought I had anal warts or something lie that.  Of course this was Saturday at around 3pm and none of my regular doctors were in.  I found a walk in doctors office that was open nearby and had a doctor check me out.  He said, yes they look like they could be warts, but I need to see my dermatologist to be sure.

Now..... I have had hemorroids (hemorrhoids) for many years, a fissure that never really goes away and I'm often just generally irritated in this area.  In doing some research online (which can be the worst thing in the world) I came across this skin tag business and I'm HOPING that this is what I have.  

I am wondering if someone can tell me what they feel like, what they look like, how did you get it diagnosed, etc.  I'm basically scared and angry like you can imagine right now and I'm looking for answers.  

If anyone can shed some light on this for me, I'd be so appreciative!

Thank you.
Went to see a doctor today for what i thought was an external hemorrhoid and he told me it was a skin tag. He said genital warts can sometimes look similar but said it was not warts or hemorrhoids but a skin tag. He gave me a prescription steroid cream to use for 3 weeks. He said it was from friction from wiping too much and too hard. I noticed it originally about 2 years ago but it was very small but recently it has started bleeding and stinging after wiping and BM. It has swollen more too and is now bigger though still pretty small. It is right on the perenium. If the steroid cream doesn't shrink it then he wants to remove it but these stories have me a little freaked out. It hurts as it is, I can't imagine being stabbed with needles down there, since it is so sensitive. I wish they could put me out so I didn't have to deal with the pain or humiliation. Will let you know how it turns out.    
Hello !  PLEASE ALL LISTEN!

i jsut had my medium size anal skin tag removed at the Center for Colorectal Health in Chicago. It was as easy as eating cake!  No pain, no nothing!  THIS IS THE PLACE to go to....they have locations all over the country!  

I didn't even have to take the pain med!  It was simple and quick,

.Two weeks later my bum looks great and i am SO happy that i did this. I had several doctors scare me before and finally after reading about someone elses positive experience at the center for Colorectal Health ...well, i made my appt and that was that.

I am so happy that big lump is gone and it was soo sooo  easy!

Don't wait! call them today and you too will be jsut like me

Best to all

Rachael
I have been considering having this procedure done as well but don't know if it it covered by insurance?  If not how much did it cost?
Before going for the surgery last week I stumbled upon this website and almost cancelled my appointment and left the country!  I feel horrible for everyone that had a terrible experience and I know every person's situation is unique and their bodies respond differently but I would like to try and convince a few people that the procedure isn't bad at all!!!

First of all, the skin tag I had was fairly small.  I am not sure what the "average" size might be but once mine was removed it was about the size of a pea... I called the closest Colon/ Rectal Doctor in my city that took my insurance and made an appointment.  The procedure IS covered under insurance as long as you go to a Colon/ Rectal Doctor and say that it bothers you and they will suggest it be removed.  If you don't have any insurance at all I think it cost about $600.00 for the exam and surgery!

As far as the procedure, I went early Monday morning because I had to work Tuesday night (The doctor assured me I would be fine but a little sore...) They gave me a shot of general anesthetic right on the base of the tag and after a slight ***** I felt a little burn.  After that, all I was told was they snipped it off and cauterized the wound to help it stop bleeding.  I was told to rest and take Vicodin they prescribed for any pain.

I took two Vicodin on Monday afternoon and then on Monday night after the procedure.  I felt a little discomfort but nothing that I would consider very painful.  I woke up Tuesday morning and felt pretty good.  I was a little nervous about the first BM but I took stool softeners and drank a lot of water a few days before which is always a good idea!  Everything was fine and I went to work later that night on three regular Advil because the Vicodin made my head fuzzy...  I am a bartender, so I was very active and by the end of the night I was a little sore and the wound was a little bloody but I was fine!  By the next day, I was almost 100% and I was so glad it was DONE and the ugly tag was GONE!

If anyone has any questions please let me know.  I would highly recommend the procedure to anyone who is sick of their stupid skin tags.  The worse part was the embarrassment of going to the doctor and showing him my back side but you have to remember that he/she chose to do that for a living :)  
I have an appointment to have my anal skin tag, about the size of a pea, (bit longer and thinner though), removed by lazer tommorow....I live in Turkey and the price for this surgery is 400 ytl....... 337 US dollars.  I will let you know the outcome,
What did it cost to have an anal skin tag removed?  
I had a large skin tag removed, and two internal hemmorhoids banded. I am on day 6 now, and I am in terrible pain. I have been taking extra strength tylenol, stool softener, prune juice, loads of fruit, resting, lots of water, and epsom salt baths every few hours. I can't sit upright, I have a lot of bleeding, the sting after a bowel movement is horrid, too.

I have a low pain tolerance, but even so, my experience has been much worse than what others seemed to have gone through. Things are swollen a lot and now the skin in my perineum is starting to split a little bit. The surgeon says he doesn't want to see me for 5 weeks. This is just rotten....
I had the op to remove 2 skin tags a week ago - no pain but the are doesnt exactly look smooth, in fact doesnt look that much different. Should it be smooth from day 1?
well, I just wrote a long entry and then it was erased when I had to login.  But I had a skintag and after reading this site decided to not see a dr.
I order some purehealing skintag remover product and began using it.  I noticed someone else had tried this and I had the same response.  A week of intense itching and I thought "no way".  Then I really wanted it gone and knew I couldn't "spread'em" for my dr.  I used the rest of this oil and decided to tough out the itching.  The skintag got swollen, dried up, drained fluid, bled.  I used up the whole oil, ( I got the little one) and emailed them re: their gaurantee.  It took them forever but they offered me more, I asked would I be starting from scratch? and they said no.  So, I decided to keep going and even got another product from www.****.com which promised the same.  2 months later and unbearable itching my skintag is almost gone!!!  I am so excited, I thought I would have to live with this forever and was so insecure with my husband.
The website is www.****.com or www.****.com  I am sorry for all of you who had awful expriences.  I am not promoting this, it was uncomfortable, but not painful, and long.  And you stink like teatree and you have to remember to get it on 3 times a day, they have no customer service skills.  I will definately try their other products.  It was better than the altervative for me.  All I can suggest is, get the bigger one and stick out the itching.  A bath at bed time will help and have some none stick cotton pad dressing to tuck in for draining.  I found I also avoided cold and flu's my family got while using this!
Best of luck to you all.
I have one tag my ?'s are .  Who can I speak to and WHere can i go to get it removed? It's causing hygiene problems for me and it's endless wiping and it hurts after wipping so much. Secondly how much does it cost$$$$$?
I have had 4 internal hemorrhoid bandings with no discomfort.  I have 3 medium to large size skin tags that I am having removed on Monday. I saw someone else's post for the Center of Colorectal Health in Chicago. I go to the office in SF. I too highly recommend them. I feel comfortable and have been well informed of what to expect which knowing is half the battle. The tag removal itself I am told is not expected to be uncomfortable but rather afterwards the possibility of some "mild" discomfort for which pain medication is prescribed. I am told some people don't need the pain meds which seems to read true here as well for some. Guess it depends on your pain tolerance of which mine is pretty high. I have waited 14 years to take care of this and if I had known it was so easy, I would not have waited so long. My insurance is covering the majority of the cost. I didn't go through my primary care provider or I would literally have paid nothing however I was too embarrassed to go to my primary doctor about this. That is my only regret.
hi everyone!
i had surgery for hemmorrhoids, and now i have an anal skin tag... i'm so nervous because i have an appointment with a colorectal surgeon on the 23rd... i suffered so much from the surgery that im scared to get another one done. I bought some natural oils and have been using them for the past 4 days but does anyone know if the natural oils really work to remove the skin tag?? i would do anything to get removed without going through the same pain again!! Pls let me know, thanx.
has anyone had surgery for both an anal fissure and several different skin tags?  I have three tags and a fissure and honestly I have a low tolerance for pain so I'm scared of that but my main concern is incontinence.  Is this an unrealistic concern or a possibility? Does anyone know?
I have a large skin tag on the outside opening and I really want it gone. Does the wart remover really work or any of the natural ones that they sell online? It has caused a lot of pain and discomfort not to mention feeling self-conscious about it. I have tried the string but it cut into my skin and made me more sore and it bled. At first it was turning blue but then the next day it looked more pink again. The string was still tight was it seemed to be swelling. Did I do something wrong? Please, any suggestions would help.
I just had a skin tag removed from the outside of my anal opening. Mine was larger than a pea size,and longer in shape. I'm 28, and have had it for 10 years! I was too embarrassed to get it looked at for years. I experienced hemmerhoids at a young age,and that was bad enough.
When I did finally get the nerve up to ask my doctor if there was anything I could do about it, she said I'd just have to live with it. I almost did live with it after that, but I met a partner that seemed to be more interested in "that area" than previous ones, so I became self conscious about it.
I went to a walk in clinic,and that doctor referred me to a specialist in my area. So now, on my 4th doctor that I've "spread my cheeks" too, he tells me I have a fissure inside my anal canal, which caused the skin tags which was the result of the hemrhoids 10 years ago.
He prescribed ointment to clear up the fissure and scheduled an appointment to remove the skin tag 1 month later.
I'm on day 3 after the surgery, and I don't feel good at all.
The surgery was in his office,he inserted a big needled directly into the skin tag, which I felt for about 7 seconds or so, and it WAS painful, after that , the area went numb. He cut and removed the skin tag and stitched the are closed. He told me to get emla cream and I did on my way home. First few hours were ok, since I couldnt feel the area, yesterday was bad, couldnt move without it hurting. I can't tell if I have swelling from the stitches or if I have another round of hemmerhoids, which ***** because of all the time to make a return, this time really *****. I've been scared to have a bowel movement, since its in so much pain as it is, so I took laxitives in hope that it would make it easier. You never really realize how much you clench your muscles down there until they kill you every time you do.
I'm hoping the results will be worth it, but as of right now, I've been off work for 4 days and I can't imagine I'll be better for another few days, and I'm still in a constant amount of medium pain and I wasn't lucky enough to get the pain meds.
I just had some tags removed at the center for colorectal health and they did a great job. I went in there thinking they were hemmoroids (hemorrhoids), but was told they were tags that most likely started as hemmoroids (hemorrhoids) and told I didn't really need to remove them, but they were bothering me and cleaning was becoming a nuicance so I opted to go for it. Other than minor sting of the lidocane for a few seconds, I didn't feel a thing during the quick procedure. It was after it wore off a few hours later that I thought I was going to faint! I was worried about going there on a full belly, so I didn't put anything in my system since lunch the day before- NOT a smart idea-  But as soon as I ate and took the pain pill - which knocked me out-  I was fine. I was afraid to use the toilet too, and tried to hold out as long as possible, when I finally had to later that night, the discomfort was unbearable, but I immediately soaked in an Epsom salt bath and felt decent. I've felt a little discomfort the next day mostly from the action of sitting/standing/sitting but other than than no need for pain pills. I recommend the procedure, but be prepared with a little something in your system and have Epsom salt, pain pills and anything else you need on hand. Also I wish someone had told me about the stool softeners, that would have definately come in handy in my case!
Can anyone advise me? I have what looks like a small cauliflower at the entrance of my anus - a small collection of balls of skin, really ugly and its really affecting my confidence and stopping me from getting intimate with anyone. I also have another one but this smaller and pea sized. I badly want it removed but fear my doctor will tell me to live with it - what should I say to him when I go to make sure something can be done about it to get it removed? Whats the procedure for getting rid of these, are they normal?
Sorry to say this but that sounds like a Wart. They are lumps that have a cauliflower appearence and if left will spread to EVERYWHERE...go to doc because if it is a wart then its really easy to have removed and not painful
I had an op for removal of anal skin tags three weeks ago and am still in considerable pain.  I am scared to go too far from home and my bidet, which has been a godsend.  It is very very painful when I open my bowels although I am doing my best to keep everything soft and smooth.  When I need to go to the loo, I need to go NOW!! and can't hold on.  I am miserable and wonder how much longer I am going to be in agony.  I can't sit on firm chairs for long either and so have been off work since the op.  I go back to see my surgeon tomorrow and hope I will get some answers, but I hope I don't have to put up with this pain much longer.  If I could turn the clock back, the way I am feeling just now, I definitely would NOT have this op done. When I look at it in the mirror, it just looks like a chewed up mess.  I am so worried.
I have my skin tag removal op today, aia feel fine about it and have everything at hand. My op is at 1430 and I have 10 days off work after. I am having an anesthetic procedure and my skin tag is about half the size of my small finger, which the surgeon said was the biggest he has seen. I will write on here and let you all know how I get on. I have had the tag since I can remember and has not caused me any probs until a couple of months ago it appeared to get larger and caused discomfort when wiping and wearing my underwear. I too was told it was caused by a fissure by my doctor but my surgeon has said it is not and is something that has been there since birth. I have to admit that the most worrying thought I have about this whole procedure is the BM after the op. Having been recomended by a friend to use prune juice and then reading it on here I think this is the route I will take and I am also liking the mashed veg idea too. I shall also grab some epsom salts too. Ah well its 0537 and I could not sleep last night. Wish me luck!!
i dont know if i have skin tags or what it is. they do not itch they are not hard....or anything like that. There are like 5 or 6 of them. they are not connected and i have a skin tag on my neck and under my armpit. but these are in my anal area and one on my labia. Im confused.
It has been 5 dats since my op now. The op went well and there has been some slight discomfort since. I have been given meds, which tbh have been the reason to why I have become constipated and have not yet been to the toilet. I am now in great pain due to this and no matter how much prune juice of other remedies I have taken, it doe not appear to want to move. There is still some bleeding from the wound and i am not sleeping through the night. However I would def have it done again and love the fact I have a new bum for Christmas.
Hi I had 2 surgeries to remove hemorroid, i was constantly constipated and after my first baby i had the rubber band done 3 times IT DOES NOT WORK WAIST OF TIME AND ENERGY..then I had my first surgery and I think the Doc did a bad job (half fast) I went home and imedialy saw that it was 2 balls hanging outside my anus when they were not there before.. so the next visit the doc said "WOW we will have to do it again it still there " (hellow he knew he did a mistake). 4 months later i went to a second surgeon that did the laser surgery for hemorroids (hemorrhoids), he did do the surgery , but left me with a deformed but and horrific one... just so my hemorroids (hemorrhoids) would come back, wich i found out 6 years later that i had rectocele what caused my hemorrids to be cronic (chronic).. so I just had the Recotcele surgery 4 weeks ago and now I ask my other doctor to remove the skin tags... THE DOC TOLD ME IT WILL BE EXTREM PAIN AND THAT I MAY HAVE THE ANAL CANAL NO GET TIDER AND BE DIFICULT TO EVACUATE  - HE SAID IT IS ONE OF MOST COMMUN SIDE EFFECTS TO SKIN TAG REMOVAL- NARROW OF THE ANUS ...  DID ANYONE HAD THAT? I CAN NOT HAVE ANY DIFFICULT TO PASS STOOLS OR MY RECOTCELE WILL REOCUR, SO I STILL WILL REMOVE THIS TAGS, AS I AM AN EXTREMELLY SEXUAL PERSON AND I M DIVORCED AND CAN NOT GO OUT AND HAVE SEX BECAUSE IT IS SO EMBARASSING TO HAVE THIS SKIN TAGS HANGING IN THERE ... I THINK ANY MAN WILL GET SCARE , UNLESS HE S YOUR HUSBAND FOR YEARS  LOL, WELL DOES ANYONE KNOW IF AFTER SKIN TAG REMOVAL IT NARROWS THE ANUS AND MAKE DIFFICULT TO PASS STOLLS??? THE PAIN I CAN DEAL WITH AFTER 2 HEMORROIDS (hemorrhoids) SURGERY AND A RECTOCELE AND HYSTERECTOMY.. I THINK I CAN DEAL WITH IT ;) MY SURGERY WILL BE ON NEXT WEEK..
THANK YOU
c
I can tell you something that has helped me out a great deal. I have had issues with hemorrhoids and skin tags. I will never forget the doctor looking me in the eye and telling me with a straight face that I could no longer use toilet paper, and I must instead use disposable baby wipes for the rest of my life. Well, I tried that maybe twice, and it was a disaster. Wipes are wet, and you can't tell if you are cleaned off or not...they were a total nightmare. What really helped, and reduced the incidence and severity of my hemorrhoids: a fancy new toilet seat. We got one of the electrified toilet seats that is also a bidet. It cost about $500, and another $150 for an electrician to install an outlet by the toilet. It washes you off and air-blows you dry, with nice heated warm water and warm air. I get cleaner (reducing skin tag problem) and I only get the 'rhoids about once a year now instead of every few months, and they are much less severe.  I am still thinking about what to do about the skin tags, but I'm kind of reluctant to do surgery after some of these posts.

If you are having problems with ongoing pain or hygiene, I really recommend one of these; it is so much gentler on the bum.
I I did had my Surgery for my skin tags about 3 weeks ago, and it is extremelly inflamed and swellen... I have being bleeding for about 3 weeks, where I even bleed at night and wake up with a lot blood on my underwear.
My butt looks like a circus with uninvited clows, it looks like I have more skin tags then before, and a little space in between some new bumps that were not there.
My surgeon is suppost one of the 10 best in the world not just in US.
I did go to my primary doctor and he told me I had to see the surgeon right a way, but the surgeon could not see me, and I am waitting to see him..
Does anyone knows if it is normal to have all this sweeling for 3 weeks and all this new bumps and bleeding????
Also the huge pain is gone but the discomfort to sit is horrible and I also have some discharge, what I heard it is normal... Does anyone know if it will ever go back to normal or will I need another surgery to fix it???
I just want to have a human butt again, and go back to my normal lif and activities..
C
So here it is, I had the procedure done in my Drs office on Tuesday (6 days ago), he's the director of the Seattle Center for Colorectal Health.  He removed a total of 3 skin tags, I was only aware I had 1...and it apparently was larger than I thought as I saw it on the table afterwards and was a piece of skin/flesh about 1" long...He cut them out and used electric cautery on them but did NOT suture anything.  So now I have been able to look at it and I have a gaping wound from my anus to the edge of my vagina...Is this normal to NOT suture it?

My problems are this:  Almost a week post procedure and I'm in a huge amount of pain and discomfort...aching at all times, burning when voiding bowels or urinating, and because of the lack of sutures I'm getting constant sharp pains from the incision pulling each time I move.  I also cannot wipe because it pulls the incision open again.  I also have what appears to be 2 huge hemorrhoids which showed up after the procedure, one at each of the 2 smaller incision sites. One of them is in an area I'm used to seeing hemorrhoids in and showed up the day after but the other appeared a couple days later and appears to be filled with fluid similar to a boil...not a solid looking form like the other one.  And the drainage...omg, it wont stop...I'm still going through several pads per day because of the drainage..mostly clear with a slight reddish tinge..and when I manage to wipe it's there too.

Is any of this normal?  I am not scheduled for a follow up for a little over a week and not sure what to do.
I gave birth to a lovely boy eleven years ago; along with an internal hemorrhoid that left me with an anal skin tag that has been bothering me for more than a decade now.  

Honestly, it didn’t bother me at the beginning.  But with aging comes with loose skin.  I am now in my late 30s and I know that if I don’t have this problem removed, it will become more persistent when I get older.  

11 days ago, I decided to have my anal skin tag removed.  My surgeon (from the Manhattan Colorectal Surgeons) injected the skin tag with anesthesia, cut the excess skin then cauterized it.  The surgery took less that 2 minutes and I was out of the clinic in 5 minutes.  I was informed that I will experience pain, swelling and bleeding for a couple of days and should see him for a follow-up in 2 weeks time.  I am also told that I should go about my regular routine: eating, working and washing myself.  No special treatment/instruction needed and was given pain medication for 2 days.  

The first couple of days was tolerable (since I was on medication) but as soon as it ran out, it was very discomforting.   The site was very swollen and appears to have an almond-shaped skin sticking out.  I tried to psych myself into thinking that recovery will take some time; nothing is immediate, so I did not panic.  

On my 7th day of resting, the size still remained the same.  Knowing what my surgeon told me (unless I’m bleeding excessively and in pain that I should call him), I called my mom instead.   She asked me to get a basin and pour hot water with a teaspoonful of epsom or iodized salt in it.  Sit on it and let the steam do the trick for 10-15 minutes, 3-4 times a day or as needed.  She said not to do sitz baths because the steam would work best.  Guess what, my mom was right!  I am now feeling better and swelling has gone down noticeably.  

It was not much of the pain that bothered me most but the discomfort the surgery had caused.  This Friday (after 2 weeks from surgery), I am up for my follow-up visit.  I am hoping that by the time I see the surgeon, my butt will be as good as new.      
Saw that tiffers08 decided to take matters in hand and self-remove an anal tag using the cotton thread method.

How did it heal in the end? Anyone else done this themselves?

I'd love to hear. I'm looking at mine after the doc told me to just live with them and considering some home proctology myself. (Yikes).

I had 3 skin tags  (1 large one that had been bothering me for at least a decade and 2 smallers ones that had evolved over ther last few years) removed 8 days ago by a colon/rectal dr.  He injected me 3 times to numb each of the tags then snipped them and cauterized the area.  I felt a little sting of the needle, but that was it until a few hours later when the numbness wore off.  He gave me a prescription for pain med, but I have a high tolerance for pain and didn't use it.  I was a little uncomfortable for a day or two, but after that, I felt fine.  The only thing....now it seems that there are still small lumps of skins where he nipped them off.  I'm not sure if this is just swelling and will go away eventually...or if I'll be left with them...because if that is the case, I wished I had left the area alone.  I go back to the doctor for a follow up in 2 weeks. Can anyone tell me if the skin will eventually smooth out?

I stumbled upon this thread whilst searching for some kind of pain relief...
Well, I had some external skin tags and haemorrhoids removed 6 days ago- I was discharged from the hospital that same day, Morphined out of my head and had no idea what had actualy happened during surgery. It was an investigation also...
So, the following day I called the doctor, who i then drove in to see... and he informed me he had removed a few internal piles and the external ones, and removed the skin tags and excess skin round my anus, leaving soluble stitches. And to take PARACETAMOL for pain relief!!!
Since then, I had guzzled stool softeners, and had an explosive bowel movement, I've called the after hours service 2 times, visited an after hours surgery and had a doctor out to me- all for pain relief and advice, I had another bowel movement after much sweating and holding it in due to excrutiating pain..
I haven't been for a poo for 2 days now as the pain is unbearable, and I KNOW that it's worse to hold it in. It feels like i'm being sliced all around my anus by razor blades, and could pass out.
I was never told this would be so painful and I tell you, I would have carried on how I was if I had known.
I sit in a bowl of warm water several times a day to try and ease out a stool, i sit in warm baths, i hold warm compresses against me..it's just excrutiating.

IF anyone has any advice on relieveing this bowel movement pain- particularly after i've done one, please help!!! I relally have to go today, I'm just so frightened of the pain or I think I'll explode...
I had an anal skin tag removed 6 days ago.  I was in bits last night thinking that I'd been butchered down there.  3/4s of the area around my anus is swollen and sticking up resembling a crater and it feels like I have developed more skin tags.  The anus isn't closing properly although I'm not incontinent but I feel like a freak show!  I rang the hospital this morning and was told that this is what usually happens when you have an open wound and that it takes 3 weeks to settle down.  I don't have an appt for another 5 6 weeks but am going back in next week now so they can 'reassure' me everything is alright.  I hated my skin tag but wished I had it back now.  I can't have a BM without pain and I've a cold and it's the worst thing to cough right now.  Can someone please tell me that they had the same problem but it came right?
I just had an internal hemorroid banded yesterday and a very large skin tag removed yesterday. Ouch the skin tag removal was very painful getting the local injections. Once the local wore off I've been in a lot of pain. I've had to take the pain meds the doctor prescribed. My poor butt looks like a crater like some other people in the posts mentioned. I hope the swelling goes down soon. The assistant said it would look like that and that the swelling will go down in about 4 weeks. I feel the same way like you said I thought my skin tag looked bad but this looks terrible. It definetly makes me feel unattractive. No one is going to want to look at that thing. Anyone know about activity rectrictions? All the doctor said was not to ride a bike or a horse?
I had external hemi turned skin tags. Went to Center for Colorectal Health in San Francisco for the surgery 07/10/09. The procedure was not painful, atleast i did not feel as the area was numbed by Lidocaine shots. Just a little pinching.... and excision

After the surgery, on my way home the shots began to wear off and the pain was piercing and almost unbearable. Came home and took the pain killers but not much help. From this morning, i started sitz baths and it helps. But the pain is sort of piercing pain. I am unable to sit down , can only lie down or walk around. Have not had much of an appetite though i am forcing myself to eat , like bean soup, prunes and other fruits. Drinking at least five glasses of water along with Ibuprofen and stool softner 2/day.

It is just about 30 hours after the procedure, so hard to say how would i progress or feel in next few days. But i really wanted the tags to disappear ( I have had them for 15 years) , and there are no other alternatives out there than the surgery.
I am really scared and not looking forward to BM. I have not had one since the op.but can some one fill me in with any  advice? Does everything go back to normal after 2 weeks or it takes months??

I have an appt in two weeks for follow up and wish that all goes well.

To all the pain sufferers, Sitz bath, Ibuprofen and a lots of fluid.

Good luck with the healing
Just about three days from the tag surgery.
1.I was in a lot of pain but sitz bath with cammomile tea bags ( 10 of them ) with epsom salt. sit for about 10 minutes. Really helps...
2. switch to a liquid diet, like fresh squeezed fruit juices and drink water with fresh lemon squeezed in it. You can take Vit B complex or any other multiV.
3. before the BM, use 5% lidocaine ointment to numb the area ( is an anesthetic) and wait for 3 minutes. It should really help and immediately sitz bath after.
4. use stool softner 2/day

i am of pain medication.
Though hard for me to sit for more than 3 minutes. I am either lying down and occasionally walk around for few minutes for blood flow.

I am told to start using 20% Zinc oxide in next 4 days on the wounds for smooth healing. have not started that yet...

I am hoping it will turn out good ....since i did experience the worst pain of my life in last three days.
I've also been dealing with a skin tag for the past few years (after the birth of my 1st child 6yrs ago).  I had seen a Dr a couple of years ago and he told me it wasn't worth haven't it removed due to the discomfort I would have from the removal.
Well, 4yrs later, I'm done!  I want it gone.   I'm a runner and when I run on hot days when I'm out running the tag swells and makes it uncomfortable for running.  It almost gives me the feeling that I'm going to have "runners trotts" (poop in my pants) if I don't get to a bathroom.   It then remains swollen for a good day or two.  
I originally started out with 1, but now it looks like there might be 2, and the second one (from what I could see) has blood in it.

I'm hoping to have these taken care of and for it not to fall in the "cosmetic" catagory, since I really need insurance to pay for this.  Plus I don't feel that it's cosmetic since it's causes discomfort.

For those of you that had yours removed, did your insurance cover it?

Thanks.
quite a few weeks ago I noticed small soft, flesh colored ball-like bumps around my anus.  They are almost dangling-like.  I looked on-line and couldn't really find a picture similar to what I have.  Now, it seems like there may be more.  They are flat, clustered things like warts.  I thought it might be anal tags.  but, everywhere I read I don't notice anyone saying they have more than 1 or 2.  I have 6-7 and they are all separate of each other and all around the anus.  Sound familiar to anyone?  Im worried
I just had a skin tag removal done yesterday after 10-12 years of intermittent hemorrhoid issues.  It became too uncomfortable to simply just deal with any longer, particularly after an extremely painful thrombosis.  I have been going to the Center for Colorectal Health and am pleased for the most part.

I read so many horror stories online that I was actually really nervous going in.  Thankfully, I came across Mummymico's post and it really put me at ease.  

So, here is my story and experience with banding and skin tag removal and I will give progress updates over the next 2-3 weeks which is the time in which I expect to be recovered.

I had to have 4 banding procedures done approximately 4 weeks apart.  The banding is a cinch!  Dont even hesitate to get this done if you are having hemorrhoid issues.  Yeah, it may be a little embarrassing at first,  but these Dr.'s have seen it all and this is their profession and basically just another day at the office for them.

After the internal hemorrhoids were all taken care of we scheduled the skin tag removal.  My skin tags would regularly swell up and protrude and hurt and really put a damper on my social life as well as my sex life.  I was really self-conscious and its hard to have a good time when you're in pain and not feeling 100%.  So, I had the procedure yesterday.  I went into the room, undressed from waist down, covered up with the sheet, Dr. came in and had me lay on my side.  He asked me to be his assistant and hold my cheek so he could go to work.  He injected the area with Lidocaine.  This really didnt hurt that bad.  A little sting but he had me count to 10 and it really was over.  Then he went to work cutting and removing whatever.  I did feel a few tugs and a little sting at one point but nothing major.  I was done in 5-10 mins.  No stitches, just cauterized the wound.  He asked if I wanted to see the culprit and I did, so he showed it to me.  Ick.  Not pretty.  Good riddance!  What a relief!  He says I have another one but I'm hoping this was the main one and the other wont bother me.  If it does, I will just have him take it off.  

Day 1.. After the procedure... I was advised to rest, stay horizontal, avoid being on my feet or sitting at a computer in order to minimize swelling.  Sitz baths, a round of antibiotics and a script for Lortabs only if needed.  I was also told not to look down there or try to inspect with a mirror because it wasnt going to be pretty.  I drove home, no problem.  Got home, had a little discomfort but nothing major.  Had some bleeding but less than I expected.  I did have a lot of drainage from the surgical site which kind of surprised me.  But, I wasnt able to rest like I was told and had some things that had to get done so I suspect this is why I had the drainage.  I had a BM about 8 hours after the surgery and it wasnt as bad as I expected.  A little tugging.  I will say that there was alot of blood in the toilet and I was concerned.  I went directly to a sitz bath and layed down after.  The bleeding stopped and I havent had any since.  Just drainage.  Havent taken any of the prescribed pain meds.  There really isnt any pain.  I did take the antibiotics as instructed.

Day 2.. So far so good.  Just a little drainage.  I have noticed a hard lump in the area that I am hoping/assuming will go down in a couple of days.  It seems almost like a swollen skin tag except its really red and tender.  Its uncomfortable but not unbearable.  Still havent taken any pain meds and cant imagine I will have to at this point.

There you have it.  2 days and no horror story.  Its been alot better than I expected at this point.  Really just hoping the swelling of that other area goes down soon.  Its not pretty, thats for sure.  Very much looking forward to having that area be "normal" for a change!

I will post an update in a few days.  
hey, 22yr  (f)
so i thought id share my story here. I had 3 skin tags removed 3 days ago. I had read alot of horror stories on here, and was really scared. Honestly....ITS TOTALLY FINE. Iva had hemroids issues for 7 years and this is the final step.
So anyway had procedure done under general anestethic, and went home that day and slept or lay in bed, no pain just feeling a bit groggy from the anesthetic. Next day I was dreading going to the bathroom, but it turned out fine, a little painful like a sting but thats it. Ive been sitting in basin with epsom salts and warm water 3 times a day, to cleanse the area. I am not in any pain at all, except BM, but its not bad at all. I havnt looked at the area yet and dont plan to for another few days because im sure its not pretty site. doc said 7-10 days recovery. Ive also been taking fybogel,a fibre supplement, and eating plenty of fibre. I would definitely suggest eating lots, dont not eat because your scared of BM, because if you hold off eating itll be alot worse,you may even become constipated. Honestly if your thinking bout getting the procedure done. DO IT!...even though I dnt know what mine is going to look like, I can feel the tags are gone, feels like i have large hemroids now,but that is just the skin and will go down in a week or two ive been told. this site almost made me run out of the hospital, but im so glad i went ahead with this. Im sorry to here so many are having a rough time of it.
Hem. + thong = skin flap? maybe not, but I was still wearing thong wear (not string type!) when I had the annoying supposed hemorroid and I am figuring it agrivated my "area". I still find the thong more comfortable esp. for sitting, but it will annoy at times with the flap, so probably not a good idea anymore. Seamless panties for me!

I am reading all your posts to see how others have made out with this procedure since I am figuring I'll wait if on this if I can.
43 yrs old, have had this skin tag for over a year now, but seems to be stretching larger about 1/2 inch or so and no stem but pulling away like baggyness from the opening. Finally went to at least have it looked at because I thought it was a hemoroid. Dr. said it was a skin tag/flap usally caused by hemorriod or from after child birth exersion (no kids, but might have had a hem. that went away)
He suggested leaving it alone or he could remove by cutting. leaving open hole and/or cauterizing and it would be 3 weeks of recovery and of course...pain (low pain threshold for me)
Thanks for the detailed notes and encouragement, I may have to gear up for this at some point!
I need to get my skin tag removed as it drives me round the twist! my gp was unhelpful! what do i do - im based in London and sydney.
Any info for either place would be greatly received
i have had a skin tag removed right next to my anus, they also did a EUA i also had a hemeroidetomy which i wasnt planning to have, a week last saturday, on inspection it looks like i have a open wound the size of a 10p piece and is that normal??
even after 6 days im still having terrible discomfort and bleeding, especially when i open my bowels, how long will this last and when will i bable to have a sexual relationship with my husband again????????  
I had an Anal Skin tag removed two weeks last wednesday, it was quite big and caused me some discomfort especially with it rubbing on underwear. I went to my GP who then referred me on to the Hospital after being on a waiting list for 6months i finally went in for surgery, i was down in the operating theatre less than 30mins and was out of hospital the same day.
I open my bowels every 4 days or so which is very normal for me, but i am still having alot of discomfort and pain aswell as bleeding when i do go. Has anybody else suffered from this as im seriously at my witts end and cant cope with the pain.
I had a tag removed yesterday.  I had been reading all of these comments for months, and they scared me so bad I almost didn't do it.  I have not had any pain after 24 hours, just a little bleeding.  I had a BM today, and was scared before I did it.  There was no pain at all.  I have been on stool softeners for a couple of days, so that may have helped.  I know I am still swollen, but I am not going to look at it.  I am supposed to go back to the doctor in 2 weeks, and I will wait to have him tell me what it looks like.  He gave me some Lidocaine to use if there was any pain, but so far no pain.  I don't know if I will get worse in the next day or so, but so far this has been very painless.  So, don't let the horror stories keep you from doing it.
I am an 18 year old kid and have recently developed skin tags. My doctor says they are not that bad and has prescribed a cream called protopical. It is uncomfortable but not unbearable. Sometimes it hurts so bad tho, like the other night, I couldn't even  go to sleep. I am hoping that over time the swelling will go down. I wish I could just get them removed, do u think removal would be a good idea?
Dang!
I've got an upcoming operation to get my anal tags removed.
What i want to know is what you told your respective places of work your operation was for? I know I don't have to tell them, nor should they ask, but I would just like an alternative excuse, some of you may of used.
So if they ask something like 'oh are you ok, nothing serious I hope?' I can just say something like, 'oh no it's just my.........'
Any ideas?
Netherlands, 27, m.

I had a skin tag removal operation (along with putting three bands to kill some haemorroids) last Friday. I've had the bands procedure for haemorroids twice in the past.

I'm still not so sure that the diagnosis was correct (different doctors did the diagnosis and the operation), cause I believe what I had was external haemorroids, not skin tags, but let's assume that the doctors know what they're doing.

I chose for full anaesthesia, cause I hate niddles anywhere else except my arms. I had 5 skin tags of which the 2 biggest ones were removed and the rest -according to the doctor- will track back inside my anus after 2 more appointments to put bands on internal haemorroids (which is one of the reasons I believe the first doctor diagnosis of skin tags was false; he really insisted he can't see any haemorroids). As far as I know, 2 skin tags per session maximum are being removed, so that there is enough skin to heal.

The band thing by the way is really easy and I strongly recommend it. No cuts, no blood, it hurts a little bit till you go to bed that day, but next morning it feels like it never happened.

Anyway, I woke up after 40 minutes. A friend gave me a lift home after 1-2 hours. When the drugs wore off it started hurting, but the doctor gave me Lidocaine baseline to put on the swollen area (it's a local anaesthetic). I used it for 2 days after the operation and the third day I was in paracetamol, 4th and 5th day no painkillers needed. If you are given Lidocaine ask doctor if you can put it on an open wound, cause I'm not sure about that. I avoided to put it on open wound, but since I only had 2 skin tags removed, only half my anus was swollen so there was enough area to apply the baseline without putting it straight on the stiches.

I was mostly lying down. I could walk with difficulty the first 2 days. I was given a stool softener (those things don't do miracles so try not to eat too much, only vegetables and soups the first days) which is a MUST, cause it makes your stool just water and then you have no pain during defecation. I only had to flush the area with the showerhead afterwards (not too hot, not too cold water), dry it with gauzes (so that the wound heals) and apply the Lidocaine again since it was washed off.

Indeed it looks like a crater. Day 3 it started getting less swollen. But it looks like the stiches are falling apart and the wound is getting bigger and bigger. From day 1 I had a small bleeding which till now it hasn't stopped. Day 3 a nurse from the hospital called me to check how I'm doing (yeah, Europe, real health care systems) and she said that the bleeding should be degrading but it doesn't sound worrying. If I wanted she said I could visit the hospital any time for a doctor to check it.

So this is day 5, I walk better, I can sit, but I still try to stay horizontal and most of the time naked to keep the wound as dry as possible. There's almost no pain. Tomorrow I'll go to the hospital for a doctor to check why the bleeding doesn't stop and if there's an infection or something.

So the operation is not much of a deal. The post-operation procedure is a little bit tough, depending on how good your surgeon was and how well he informed you. If it's worth it? I don't know. I guess the final result will be visible after day 10 maybe even after day 15. The area is sensitive and it takes time to heal.

I'll keep you people up to date.
I never post comments on pages like this (and I would pick an embarrassing one to start)-- but I had wished to read something like this so I will do it...  I 'had' (yes!, keywork) an anal skin tag.  I didn't really notice it, but I think I've had it for years, it was super tiny before like half a grain of rice, I think I just thought that was part of my anatomy since it was there as long as I could remember, or it kind of snuck up on me? I think it got bigger, but then I thougth "hmm, I ddin't know it was that big" Then,  this year for some reason, it grew to a more noticeable size, like a smushed pea.   My doctor had pointed it out, she said "oh, looks like you have a little skin tag-- nothing to worry about" except it was starting to bug me more and more.  I started researching posts like these.   I thought the thread remedy seemed like the most my style, I've got about a weeks amount of patience.  It was super hard and awkard to get down there and tie it, but finally I made like a little hangman's noose on a thread and then that worked.  It hurt, but I was okay with it at that point with the philosophy of 'no pain no gain' at my side.   Everytime I moved it hurt, the thread was digging in me, that night I could sleep for some reason, but the next 2 I was up.  By day 3, I was wondering why it hadn't changed colors.  Day 4 i thought i needed a more substaintial tie so I got braid rubber bands, that hurt soooo much getting on, cause I already had this thread digging into me.  I wanted to cry.  But I finally did it.  I also figured I'd try to the whole nail polish thing cause I was starting to admit that this wasn't going to be off in a couple more days, maybe I would try thte two week thing.   I had taken cough surup to fall alseep, heh, so I did... It was hurting I don't know if my tolerance grew or it numbed or what...

But his morning I thought I'd just cut off the rubberband, and stick with the nail polish plan... so I got these sowing sissors that you can squeeze to cut-- has springs and stuff, super cheep I got it at the 99 cent store.  I was going to just the rubber band but then I think I got a little snipped of the tag and thought, "mmm, I can do tthis" i burned the sheers it with a litgher for some attempt at sterilization.  Then I made a tiny snip at the end, it hurt, but honeslty, less than that rubberband and thread! I got ice then kept going, it hurt as I went through more, but again, still less than that tag, then it was off! I was so happy.  I haven't thrown it out yet (I know that's gross) I just looked at it and said "I hated you so much!" Maybe I will burry it as some symbolic...okay, nevermind.  I bled, but not nearly as much as a thought, it occured to me, maybe I still have thread cutting it off? It's really hard to see--- I've only taken so many yoga classes.  Stings a little right now but again (you guessed it) the thread really hurt me more, maybe I should have used thicker string to more effectviley cut off circulation and also to dig into my skin less... oh well, i'm just so glad its' over, well, I hope... assuming you don't hear from me, I didn't get any kind of infection.  I'll report if I do. (I really really hope not, I put peroxide and i'm going to get some neosporin on there too).  I'm not giving any kind of advice, I think every body is different, honestly, safest thing would be to go to a doctor, but i'm stupid like this, I feel like a million bucks now (okay, $600...still)  Good luck.
Update from the Netherlands.

At day 5 I went to the hospital to have the wound checked and to ask why the bleeding doesn't stop and why the wound looks like it opens more and more. They told me that the stiches are not there to close the wound, that many doctors don't even use them and they actually even broke the remaing stiches and left the two wounds wide open like 2 big craters!

At that moment I realised that the healing process will be longer than I thought. The whole image changes every day as my the swelling goes less and less and the wound get more and more exposed. So don't freak out with how the first days the wound looks and don't make quick assumptions.

Day 9 I decided to cycle to the centre (just 10 minutes and 10 minutes back). It went better than I thought, although after 2 hours the wound started annoying me and I wanted to get back home. Although I got home with the small bleeding still going on. After 1-2 hours the bleeding stopped! It seems that the little exercise helped the blood circulation and that the bleeding. So I suggest after week one try to start walking and even limited exercise instead of lying all day on the couch or in the bed.

Since the bleeding stopped the wound started to be itchy. I assume that this is a good sign.

Day 11 I had my first shower with soap and everything without a problem. I also went to work for the first time but that turned out to be a little bit more exhausting than I thought (I'm a part-time salesman, so I stand and walk for 4 hours), but feasible.

I'm now in day 12. The bleeding is minimal. The wound is till open and quite exposed. I put a gauze between my underwear and the would when I get out of the house (although the bleeding is almost gone), but at home I still try to be naked and keep the wound dry and exposed to the atmosphere. In a week I have an appointment with the doctor that performed the surgery.

I'll keep you up to date.
A few days ago, i noticed some skin next to my rectum. It freaked me out so bad that I went to see my doctor the next day. When she went to look at it, she said she didnt see anything. Which is crazy because i went home and saw it.. it was a lot smaller but still there. When i say small... i mean TINY. She said it might be a skin tag or the begginings of a hemorrhoid. And that it should just fall of eventually...
About 6 months ago I started having some bad bleeding when i went to the bathroom. and it would happen every few months, but stopped. And now all of a sudden i see these tags and my doctor did not help! Im wondering what i should do? I mean its really tiny, but i think theres another one starting to grow.. any suggestions? it doesnt hurt or burn or anything like that.. i just hate the fact that its there.
I just had my anal skin tags removed yesterday. I had them for a while and just wanted them gone. I was to embarresed to be very sexual active because I never wanted my boyfriend to know they were there. Day two I'm in lots of pain. I haven't eaten any solids because I'm to scared to have a bowel movement. I'm talking pain meds but they make me have such a headache. Throughout tge day I keep getting the urge to squeeze my buttcheecks. I don't do it intendionaly just naturaly my body does it. I have a 10 month old daughter so it makes it harder for me to just relax and take it easy. I'm hoping by next week I'm back to normal. But I'm glad they're gone
What I don't understand is: why are the doctors doing all this surgery when tags can be removed with bands just like roids? Why aren't they doing it?
I had my anal skin tag removed 5 days ago.  It was a size of my a lima bean.  The procedure was quick and painless.  I went to Kaiser Permanente.  My family doctor sent me to General Surgery.  The day of the surgery, they sedated me and I fell asleep.  I woke up with a bandage on my butt and nicely greeted by the nurses.  I was prescribed Vicodin and Stool Softener.

Day 1 and Day 2 was not painful at all.  I even drove my kid around on day 2.  Day 3 was painful... I passed my first BM.  I cried like I was giving birth again then I limped around for another few hours.  Day 4, I was dreading BM time.  I did it but it hurt less but still painful.  Even though the stool was soft, the initial dialation of the sphincter HURTS!  Day 5, today, I did BM.  It hurts but not like labor.  I've gotten smarter.  I take my Vicodin an hour prior to BM time, and turn on the shower.  The sound of running water seems to calm me a bit and there will be warm water waiting for me after the BM.
People who have tried rubber bands or string: what was your tag like? I'm willing to do the rubber band but want to make sure not to injure myself and get some crazy infection. I think if I used the band I would have a decent hole/open wound afterward and that makes me think I shouldn't probably do it that way. It is not like a piece of rice like some, it is a loose area on the area of my anus nearer to the front side and is perhaps 3/4" long, 1/2" wide - like a generally looser area than the rest of the skin around it. It poofs out with some bagginess. It just isn't tight like the surrounding regular anal tissue. I'm 30 and have had this for 4 years. It has gotten a bit bigger gradually over time, but causes only itching and some annoyance when wiping because it takes more to become clean. I've been using baby wipes for about a year now because I just feel cleaner with them than with dry paper.
For those of you who wonder what using floss or small braces elastics is like to remove anal skin tags, read on...

I had success and extremely painful failures with this procedure. When it works, it works fantastically and you'll be pleased you did it. When it does not work, you suffer more than I can sufficiently articulate here. Seriously, the long duration of time when it was not working for me was the most physically painful and uncomfortable time I have ever experienced in my 26 years on this planet. I know that sounds dramatic, but I swear to you, it's true! (I think I have a reasonable degree of pain tolerance too.)

I hope I can offer you some advice from my experience so that your personal tag removal experience is as painless and quick as possible. As it should be!

After having one anal skin tag for a handful of years, two others emerged to keep it company (ugh). I started researching my removal options (like you're likely doing now), and I inevitably decided to use an elastic and some floss to get rid of the suckers. I started with the oldest and largest tag first (it was definitely bigger than a pea, maybe half an inch around in size). I used a braces elastic first, wrapping it around twice (?). Securing this tiny elastic around your anal tag is definitely not an activity for the wimpy or squeamish. It will hurt a bit and it'll be rather awkward to do. In fact, I recommend skipping the elastic method altogether and going straight for floss. You'll need a flashlight and a mirror, by the way.

I can not emphasize enough how important it is to tie the floss tightly around your tag on the first go. Seriously, strangle the sucker. Double knot it. Tie it tightly again a few times. Tying it tightly and multiple times will sincerely save you a lot of pain and hassle in the long run, especially if your tag is large like mine was. I ended up having the elastic on there, then putting floss around it to speed up the process. I was impressed that my anal area was only uncomfortable for about an hour or so after this, then it was basically like a walk in the park (albeit a weird walk, ha). THIS IS HOW IT SHOULD BE. It should not be excruciating painful if everything is on there properly and going well. If things feel very wrong, and if the tag's colour isn't really changing, you should listen to your body and remove the floss. Finally, if you experience what I did, you will need a pad or wad of tissue in your underpants to catch the blood/fluid. Don't be freaked out when your tag swells to an impressive size. Again, it shouldn't hurt too badly. It will gradually get smaller and darker. After about 5-7 days, my shrunken blackish nub fell off.

My second attempt to remove tags #2 and #3 was not as positive, to put it lightly. I started this process on March 10th, and dealt with serious butt problems (extreme pain and discomfort) for nearly a month. I think my mistake was assuming that things would go as well as they did the first time, not securing the floss tight enough around the tags, not getting the tags at the base, and who knows what else. I ended up continuously tying more floss around the them. I was too stubborn, so rather than recognizing that things weren't working and removing the string, I kept going with the process. It wasn't pretty, as you can imagine. In any case, this experience was completely brutal. When it was at its worst, I could not lay, sit, walk, move, or even exist comfortably. I took ibuprofen, woke up throughout the night in pain, had to sleep with a pillow propping up my lower back, had to miss classes because sitting in the hard chair was too painful, et cetera. I couldn't even focus on school work.  I developed an immense and prolonged rash during this time, to make matters worse. I went through tubes of Polysporin (the kind with pain relief) and washed my poor inflamed behind in a bowl of warm saline solution after every bowel movement. I don't have a bathtub, so I started to do this for relief too. After a long time, when things settled down a bit, I gradually started to remove the floss. I wasn't in a rush to do this because things remained quite sore and sensitive down there. I figured I would either leave the tags alone or eventually get them removed by a professional. A week or so later, after there had been no floss on the tags, half of #2, the smallest one, fell off. Go figure. Bowel movements were painful, causing bleeding for a couple of weeks after this.

I have been planning to make an appointment to get rid of the largest one, which actually grew as a result of all the chaffing (and it split, so it's like I have 3 again), BUT I felt so unsexy by my anal tags that... I made the insane and, one may say, crazily courageous move to tie floss around it tonight to begin the frightening process anew. That's right, after 6 weeks or so without having to deal with tag woes, I strangled the largest one tonight. The best part is that it started to turn a whitish-grey immediately. That's a very good sign. It's only been a few hours and it's already a bluish shade. This is what you want to see. I recently went for a walk and my poor anus was in pain, so I started to regret doing this again. When I stopped walking, it felt better. It's a bit tender and uncomfortable right now, but all in all it isn't so bad at all. I am confident that this time it's goodbye to ol' #3. Let's hope it's quick and painless! Dear Lord, please!

I sincerely hope this unorganized blurb about my anal tags helps you! All the best to you!

I should mention that the reason it hurt so badly on the second go was because the floss was literally slicing into my skin repetitively. Bad scene.
I'm a 35 yr old man. Due to years of on/off constipation in my late 20s, I developed anal fissures(google it!) & due to that 2 skin tags developed, 1small 1 inside and a large flat penny-size outside just hanging like a flap. I finally got over my embarrassment after 4 years of never telling my primary doctor (as he never checked down there anyway) and referred me to a surgeon to get the operation. So I did...

Let me tell you that the first 5 days post will be HELL! Suck it up & deal with it! I had to wear woman's sanitary napkin the first week. Every bowel movement days after the operation will be MORTIFYING. It sure felt like a ball of fire is coming out of your anus. You will be aware of every single time you clench your sphincter cause it will bloody hurt! From standing up, sneezing, coughing, or simply finishing to pee. I never realized I clenched it that much till after this procedure. The warm tub bathe was only temporary. Once you're out, the pain is back unless you get yourself high on pain meds every 4 hours on the dot. I hated the groggy feeling though. It hurts standing up & sitting down & so I had no choice by to be in bed rest for 5 days.

Be very patient as it does get better. On the 7th day the drainage(bleeding) finally stopped. It was no longer horrific having a bowel movement. Make sure you have a mirror when cleaning so that you're able to see and clean the anus area well. Last thing you want is further infection to prolong the recovery. Use baby sensitive skin wipes so that it would not be too harsh on your skin. I went back to my desk job on the 9th day.

It has now been over 3 weeks since the surgery and I still feel some minor soreness when I have a bowel movement. But it's so much better. Full recovery is supposed to be from 4 to 6 weeks. I am looking forward to that and get my full sanity back :o)
I had two skin tags removed, a fissure removed and two internal hemroids banded 6 days ago. I am still in a lot of pain but it has decreased since days 2-4. Bowel movements are the worst! My question is when will the swelling go down? My whole area down there is swollen and bruised. It looks worse then it did before, like I have a serious case of roids! Is this normal? Im starting to think im going through this pain for nothing!
Let me preface this by saying I by no means condone at-home removal of skin tags, but I became fed up. After years of dealing with one, I had enough.  I saw a doctor several days ago, who pretty much told me there was nothing that could be done about it.  For me, it was not only a cosmetic issue, but a hygienic one as well. Frustrated, and sick of feeling gross, dirty, and embarrassed, I began reading forums like this one and wondering if there was something I could do.  Today after work, I came home, wrapped dental floss around the tag, and waited. It was somewhat painful, but I dealt with it.  An hour later, I looked and nothing had changed.  Adrenaline pumping, I grabbed some ice, numbed myself for about 15 minutes, soaked my scissors in alcohol, and chopped that bad boy off! I was scared to death, but it barely hurt at all! It is bleeding a little, of course, but less than I had imagined.  And it now looks normal down there!! No protrusions!  I plan on washing it with peroxide until it heals, and hopefully I won't have any infections, etc. I will post again if I do.  I am so glad to see that thing gone! I still can't believe I did it.  I just wanted to share with everyone. But again, I do not recommend this for anyone else. Good luck!
Hi Everyone,

It is so great that folks can talk about this stuff I am hoping someone can share a similar story to mine.  So far only one has come close but could be closer.  I had anal polyps removed like 10 years or so ago.  On that same day though I had not eaten as I was advised.  I did have a Nutriment type of drink.  I now know that I may as well have eaten hard food because on my home from the procedure I had a violent defecation.  It was the kind that could not wait until I got home so I ended up going to a fast food restaurant which was really that last place to go when you'd like some cleanliness after a procedure like that.  But please feel free to laugh I even crack up when I think of this story.  So there I was helpless to stop this rather large bowel movement which I so did NOT want to have not after the surgery.  Needless to say any post surgery dressings to heal the area all came undone.  The toilet was full of blood my wounds were not only opened but now I had to try and clean them in this rather not so clean public toilet.  I was mortified.  I could not fathom that this had even happened it seemed like a nightmare.  I think he did the surgery that is supposed to suffocate the polyps off but all of that fell apart during this violent bowel movement.  Now years later that area seems just as raw as the day of surgery.  It goes the gamut of being almost undetectable to bloody and as painful as if it was afresh wound.  My question  while in denial for the past 10 or more years is, WHY IS THIS AREA NOT HEALED BY NOW? I have never experienced a wound that won't heal...The idea I had is if my polyps where actually vein endings then veins are not supposed to "close" thus these polypless openings are open for business forever?  And the kicker is the pain it isn't SO intense that I cannot get by but make no mistake they hurt (there are 2 opening at my anus where the 2 polyps used to be) and they go through phases.  A long period of unnoticeable followed by a phase of pain & bleeding it's like I'm having a man period every few months.  I know the short answer is go to the booty doctor.  I actually did go to a naturalist she put me on a vitamin E gel cap regiment and the area did "heal" but I guess after I stopped popping the vitamin E .. well them holes "popped" open again!  Has anyone experienced anything similar? I imagine that my violent bowel movement just tore off the stitches or whatever I had back there to hold these gaping suckers shut & they just don't know how to close back up.
OMG im so thankful for this post i have had a skin tag on my rear end for as long as i could remember and im 32 and it has become unbearable and ive talked to my doctor about it over and over and they just kept saying that is was internal hemorrhoids and its not i noticed that what really bothers it was wiping or when i had a harder bowel movement and i kept telling the dr that i had a large amount of blood on my stool and the toilet water would become so red it looked like pure blood and they just kept telling me that its the veins in the hemorrhoids that are rupturing but no hemorrhoids creams or ointments ever worked and im now at the point i cant do anything i cant pee cause the pushing to release the urine hurts the butt i cant walk i cant shower i cant cough it kills me to sit down ive taken pain meds and they dont relived the pain at all ive put lidocain gel on it and the only thing it does is burn like hell and it dont help so im hoping to get this thing removed plz pray for me cause ive heard everyones story about getting it removed but at least it is a one time pain and then i dont have to go through it again at this point i wish someone would just shot me thanks everyone
This year I was washing myself and felt a small flap of skin right at my anus, near the bottom of the hole. It's the size of rice and beneath the flap is a hardened cylindrical bump.

I don't notice it when I wipe, and it is painless to touch. I do get itchy and I chalk it to just not wiping hard enough (though now I heard you make it worse by wiping hard).

Is this a hemorrhoid? Or skin tag?  I squatted on a mirror and noticed nothing unusual (can't see a bump, just detected by touching).  
Just wanted to throw in my experience after reading many horror stories here pre-op and almost canceling my appointment!  I had two skin tags removed two days ago (originated from a fissure; no issues with them other than being embarrassed and concerned about hygiene). The procedure wasn't pleasant (ever have total strangers TAPE your butt cheeks open? no? good!) but not painful (it did take two rounds of shots to achieve total numbness though). My doctor practices "distraction" method so I was getting a calf massage while I was getting the numbing shots (which was the worst of it)...brilliant, actually! Snip snip and some cauterizing and I was done.

Went home dreading the local wearing off, as my doc had prescribed both high mg Motrin and Vicodin. I have yet to need a single pain killer.  NO pain! Was in a state of panic about my first bowl movement (ate nothing but broth and prune juice all day)...also no pain! No swelling, nothing. I was brave and took a hand mirror down there yesterday...looks normal!  No tags, no gaping flesh wounds.

I'm hopping in the shower after BMs (the sitz bath just grossed me out), using the blow dryer after, packing with loose gauze several times a day.  Very little drainage and no blood. A little itching today, but I think that means I'm healing. Taking Colace twice a day also helps keep the BM soft.

So...there are some good experiences! And I am SO glad to not have those nasty flaps! I would do this again in a heartbeat.
I'm going today to have my dermatologist remove a larger anal skin tag. He's going to numb, cut, and cauterize. They seem to feel like it will be a casual, routine procedure. I'll update as to how it goes. I tried to string trick and it worked on a small part of my skin tag, but when I tried to actually remove the tag, it only became swollen and irritated. After about 5 tries at the string trick, I'd say it is great for small tags, but can be a huge pain - literally - if you try it on large tags. My problem was that no matter how tightly I tied the string.... it was not tight enough to cut off the blood flow to a large tag. I did cut into the skin with the string - but still, could not cease blood flow, which is what causes the tag to die. My procedure is supposed to be short and will cost $100. I think dermatologists may be the way to go on this cost-wise. My local colorectal surgeon was going to charge over $900 all in all for an exam prior, and then surgery later. Ouch! I'll post as to how it goes and what the healing process is like.
Update - just had my large tag removed. The doctor gave me a numbing shot, then cut and cauterized most of the tag off. The area is not sore, as I'm still numb, and it isn't bleeding - just black where the skin was burnt. I was given antibiotic cream and was told specifically not to use hydrogen peroxide on it, but just soap and water. He seemed to think that healing would be no problem and expected that I would be able to go to work today and do everything pretty much as I normally do. I am more skeptical, however, as I think I'll probably have pain once the shot wears off. All-in-all, I am so happy that I went to this dermatologist! He only charged me $90 to have a precancerous spot frozen off and to remove the tag. I will be paying another $90 because he thought it would be wise to have the tag biopsied. Pretty affordable - totally worth it!
Hey they seen all the comments on Tag and Hemorrhoid Surgery....... I had full blown Hemorrhoid surgery in 2009. I had five thrombus internal hemorrhoids and four or five external Hemorrhoids along with several tags. My surgeon said in twenty-five years of doing these types of surgery's I was one of his worst cases he had ever seen..... Long story short he removed all but about two internal and two external. Up until the surgery I had dealt with these issues for 19 miserable years. I decided to have the surgery and although it was very painful I would do it all over again. I honestly believe if you have the surgery it will give you years of relief. Please feel free to email me if you have any other questions I might be able to answer. My name is Wayne. My email is ***@****.  
I totally agree with you!! Although the procedures can be painful it has been almost three years since my surgery and I am very glad I did it!!! And would totally do it again.
Wow Tiffers08 - you're brave! I thought of doing that myself but was too scared.

I'm going to get mine removed via surgery tomorrow. So thanks for all the positive comments about doing it because I've put it off for about 7 years but just hate it so much that I want it gone and things back to normal.

As they say, no pain, no gain, so I'm being brave, have my salt bath ready and fingers crossed it all goes well.
Anyone recommend a good place (cheap) dermatologist place in the Chicago area? Or Chicago suburbs??
I'm thinking about having the procedure done, actually, I know that I want it done. Would you recommend a dermatologist or a colorectal surgeon price-wise?
I've just gone through the same -- had a horrible experience with hemmoroid removal surgery and am now left with a long skin tag about .75 inches long. It looks huge and get irritated when I walk or sit for too long. It's so frustrating and the last thing I want to do -- given my painful two-month recovery from the first surgery -- is to have another surgical procedure. If you've had success, I would love to hear.
Hi everyone.
I'm 24 years old and I don't know all the medical terms here so bear with me but I have a skin tag kinda in between the place where the babies come out and where the poop comes out (lol sorry). I've had it since I was 11 and I'm SO self concious about it, it drives me insane. I want to have it removed, I've tried the at home treatment and it made it smaller but it's not completely gone. The box said to only use it 2 times with a 2 week interval in between and I did this but it's still there, I dunno if I should give it another go or not. It's quite small. Here's my problem, I don't want my boyfriend to know about it cause I'm just to embarrassed so I don't want to have to go to the hospital or anything for removal. I want to not have to care about him seeing anything so any suggestions here would be great
hello i am 27 and a mum of a 4 year old which i had by c section, around 3 years ago i found a fleshy lump on my perenium, i am to embarresed to go to a doctor and am desperate for help or advice, it has now gotton bigger it is very itchy aswell and when i itch it gets sore, i no it isnt piles as i know what they look like i think it may be a large skintag it is the same colour as the rest of that area could someone tell me have somthing similer or what they think it could be id be ery greatfull for anyhelp thankyou kindest regards
I had a skin tag removed 3 days ago. My colorectal dr has an outpatient surgery center in the office. I was given spinal anesthesia (numb from waist down) and something to calm my nerves. Didn't feel a thing. The surgery was over before I realized it even started. I was given percocet for pain, valium for rectal muscle spasms, and compounded cream ointment. I was also given instructions on fiber supplements and stool softners. Lots of water too.I have several stiches. The pain has been minimal, just discomfort. First couple of days I had to sit on my side. Bowel movements are whats painful but tolerable. I take a pain pill after each bm. I take careful care cleaning the area with sensitive baby wipes, sitz baths, then apply the cream. Overall, this has not been nowhere near the nightmare I was expecting after reading some of these posts. I will be glad when the stitches disolve and I'm completely healed. I reccommend taking a few days off work. My follow up appt is next week. If you decide to do this. go to a colorectal doctor who will do this in surgery, butts are their specialty!
Go to a colorectal doctor. I did and I'm so glad I did.
My colorectal dr did mine. I dont want anyone near that area if its not their specialty. I paid a $250 surgery copay.
Hi everyone,  I havent had mine removed, they are a real pain in the ***, I guess literally. Anyways I thought I would mention for people suffering, what I do is I take saran wrap and wrap in around my finger lube it up with aloe vera mixed with tea tree oil, then I clean it with my finger to get the left over feces out of there. Then I wash off my finger (stillwraped in plastic) then I  drip natural healing oil for skin tags from http://www.amoils.com . It hasn't healed the skin tags perhaps because mine are hemorrhoidal (I don't know) but what I do know is that it does help alot! It feels really good too in a soothing sort of way.`Its made it some what bearable but it can be a very taxing maintenance to keep up with. I would like to know how people are coping weeks, months or years after the surgery if possible.
My question is this.  I have a large anal skin tag I tried rubber banding as well and it swelled up 5 times the size, and it hurt so much after over an hour I had to search for the bands and take them off.  So what I'm asking is it's right in the opening and I would have to rubber band my rectal area shot, which would mean I couldn't use the bathroom?  Did you have this problem?
Just had my anal skin tag removed 14 days ago. Pain was minimal. My concern is the swelling. It has gone down soo slowly and the swelling itself is kind of hard. I don't see the doc for another 2 weeks. Think it'll go down by then?
I have a huge anal skin tag, size of a prune I would say.  I tried the small braid bands as well and the tag grew to 3 times the size and looked like it had changed to hemmoroid.  It was so painful I could stand it, and took the band off, did I take it off too soon?  Another thing my tag surround the entrance.
Holy crapper..No pun intended..But your feedback is GREATLY appreciated! I am going thru pure hell the past 3 weeks as I have had tags for as long as I can remember but never ever bothered me except for cosmetic reasons for me but never caused me pain up until 3 weeks ago, well it started out as 1 then 2 now there is like a flippin califlower of them ontop of each other, anyway my doc saw them when they first started and thought they where hemroids and gave me some expensive ointment I bought and only made them worse and I felt like and still feel like I have a foot up my butt as the pressure is unbearable so unbearable that I took a trip to the E.R and I have a very high pain tolerance, but man I was climbing the walls, E.R. doc now tells me they are tags??? I thought I had the worse case in reading some of your comments on here, I don't feel so alone...I think I noticed mine 28yrs ago after giving birth to my first child and the pain I have now with the pressure was the same pain, I had with my first child as I had back labour and swore he was exiting out my backside...So I guess this is where the tags come from??? But I also 35yrs ago had a bad experience with toilet bowl full of blood and was told at hospital that it was because I have so many roids? up inside of me that they will grow out? So hmmmm hemroids or tags? grrrr PAIN intense is all I can say...Ice pack became my best friend but did not help any in long run, just soothed me for awhile and I hoped swelling would go down but nope..Anyway gonna try the steroid cream and antibiotic the E.R. prescribed as apparently they are infected??? how? I jump in like all of you do in a hot bath to clean and can't touch the area and man, I am to that point of bandaid or floss procedure as I will right now do about anything to rid them for good...Oh I did see a gastro doc about 15yrs ago as I had my gallbladder removed and said hey doc can you look at these embarrassing 2 things dangling on my anus he said well we can remove them it is up to you but keep in mind it is very painful and they usually only grow back???? hmmmm I thought well they did not bother me then but cosmetic only so opted out on removal...I can't tell you the screaming I am doing here reading how you actually cut them off oh my God, I am in pain but wowwwwwwww OUCH just thinking of it..Oh my God the thought, but the ahhhhhhhhh of just having them gone whewwww this is worse then a toothache..I find sitting makes it worse and lying down helps but realistically as a Mother & Wife things need to be done around my home hehe...But I am so glad I found this site and do not feel so alone...My Sister told me about the band aid and I thought oh my god I can't touch the area never mind wrap a flippin band aid around my flower collection down there...My concerns are would the floss or band aid work if hemroids or tags as I have different doc's saying different things...and hmmmm I was told I probably could have fissures inside growing out what if they are fissures does the floss & bandaid procedure help all hemroids, tags or fissures???? I feel relief in my mind reading this site, now to get relief of the pain and pressure from the rectum...Oh and I thought I lost my dignity during child birth, man how embarrassing going to doc's for anus grrrrrr...Any advice be greatly appreciated, just honestly I am scratching the walls with the pain and swelling but not enough I don't think to cut those puppies off hehehe...OUCHHHHHHH Use who have done that kuddo's and hope all is well and you are very brave and I am sure fed up like myself but again OUCH...  
I had a tag removed 9 days ago. Mine was where is referred to as 'the smelly bridge', (inbetween my lady hole and my bum hole.)
Id had it for a few yrs, but it had gotten bigger and was quite often sore, itchy or just irritating.
So i went to my docs, i was embarrassed to show him, but hes been my family doctor since i was about 8, (im now 36), and i thought 'Hes a doctor, hes seen a lot worse'.
Anyway he booked me in for an appointment for him to perform the surgery assisted by a sister/nurse.
I had to put my feet up on stirrups, which was a bit embarrassing, but thought i wanted it gone so this is what ive got to do.

I had about 4 injections to numb me, which i have to say stung like hell.
if i ever wanted to torture someone i know where id stick needles.!
i had the tag sliced off and stitched.
My doc had said before hand "I'll just cut it off and put a stitch in it".
So i was thinking ok quick and simple.
It seemed to take a lot longer than what i thought it would, prob about 1/2 hr altogether.
I couldnt feel no pain, just movement, and i could feel that he had put more than 'just a stitch', so it must of been bigger than we thought, because im sure he put in about 4 stitches, cant say ive looked THAT closely.

I have to take 'Loperamide' regularly as i have Acute Anxiety, which causes me to have too regular bowl movements, and the tablets slow it down. So on the morning of the op i took two of them.
Then after my op my doc told me not to take them for a few weeks as it will put strain on the stitches, i never told him i had already taken some :-/
I got home and took a look in the mirror and i could see the area was a lot larger than what i thought  was gonna be affected.

I took Paracetamol for the first two days, it was tender to sit or move around.
Im my sleep i turn over a lot, so i was consciously (and still am) having to make sure i turned over slowly and fully onto my side.

It took 3 days for me to have a BM, i was dreading it. But it wasnt too bad, a bit of pain, and a bit of bleeding (that soon stopped), and a bit of sting afterwards.

Then on about day 4 i noticed when i went to the toilet i could smell what could only be described as a 'period smell', girls would know this is not a nice smell, but i dont have periods as i have the bar fitted, this confused me and i thought there might be congealed blood on my stitches, but i couldnt see anything, then i started to worry it might be infected.
So i got a bowl of warm water and added some Tea Tree oil, and sat in that for a while.
The next day i did the same with some Rock salt, and again the next day, the smell seems to have died down but i can still smell it faintly.

I keep getting this weird sensation of small bubbles in that area, and some sensations like someone sticking hot needles in me, but it lasts for a few mins and goes, but its a horrible feeling, and i seem to get it more of a night time when im lying in bed.
I dont know if its the healing process and not to worry, or the bubble feeling is the drainage that ive read about here? Did anyone else have this?
I wasnt told any of that, i wasnt told to wear a pad or anything thing and now ive noticed ive got red skin on my inner bum cheeks. And it rubs, i can only imagine its what nappy rash feels like, think it might be because ive not worn a pad and the area has stayed moist because of that. So for the past few days ive been applying Germaline or Savalon to the area, which seems to sooth it a bit. Im going to do another Rock Salt soak tonight.
I still cant wipe properly with toilet tissue, it hurts to much, baby wipes are a god send.

I cant really ask my doc any questions about the healing as he sadly retired a few days after doing my op, (tho he did ring me two days later to see if i was ok and if id had a BM, and asked me to let him know it went ok when i did go for the first time which i did) so i dont want the first question to be to my new doc, who i havnt met yet to be 'is my stitches by my bum infected' lol. i think if they were id be in more pain, so im just hoping its all part of the healing process.

Tiffers, I really appreciate this advice!  I get where your coming from and am going to work up the courage to do this, too.  I'm wondering how well the rubber bands stay on when you use the bathroom and what kind of mark it leaves after ward?  
My recent pain began on march 27, 2012.
   I have had a pea sized anal skin tag for about 12 years. It was along the back end of my anus.  This skin tag has never given me any pain before this time but it was bothersome just having it there because of the difficulty regarding cleaning but I was dealing with that.
  At the front of my anus I have had only isolated periods of irritation, itching and burning along the bridge between my vaginal wall and my back area.

Over a two week period it all progressively got worse.  The pain, itching, burning, knife like pain became severe.  Normally I can handle a lot of pain and still manage to care for my family and even work... But this was unbearable pain.  I was brought to tears many times.   I used baths, tucks pads, prep H, metamucil,
Miralax, colace and 5% lidocaine ointment.  I ate a more high fiber diet too but nothing helped... It only got worse.  
Finally I made an appt with a colon / rectal specialist.  I cried during the entire exam from the severe pain.  He asked me to try the lidocaine ointment for a few days and prescribed vicodinn   for the severe
pain.  He said that if it did not help that he would schedule surgery to repair a small fissure that he could see and to remove the skin tag.  Outpatient Surgery was scheduled in the OR at Ochsner Hospital on April 20th.  I was intubated and had general anesthesia.  The rolled me in at 12:20 and I was woken up at 2:20 in the recovery room.  Within 10 minutes the anesthesia wore off an I was again crying in pain.  I was given IV dilaudid, zofran and toredol, and as the pain got less, they started preparing the instructions for me to go home.
April 21st... Pain is severe, I barely managed thru it. I have sutures and a Vaseline gauze dressing stuffed in by butt, there is more gauze between my cheeks.  Butt cheek gauze saturated with lite pink blood drainage so I changed it. No bowel movement, thank goodness.  Taking the pain meds around the clock.
April 22nd... Pain slightly below severe in between med times because they don't last long enough til i can have another dose. Warm bath as instructed
and eased the dressing out of my butt, again saturated with lite pink blood drainage.  Not eating much cause I'm scared to have the bowel movement.  Then I start to get worried about NOT having a bowel movement (getting blocked up) so by the evening I force myself to try to have one. Extremely painful, followed by careful cleaning with baby wipe and then shower for further cleaning and the bath to try to soothe it.  Did I mention I have kids?  When mom is sick not much gets done, by the way.
April 23rd... Pain still bad, very sore with isolated stabbing needle pain, gauze drainage decreasing.. About a half dollar size reddish pink blood
drainage. No bm today.
Today is April 24.... If you want to find out how I do... Post a message and I'll update this in a few days.  Hope this info helps someone.
Thanks for your post.  I'm only 4 days post op so I have a ways to go. Reading your story helps me know that my pain should pass in time.
I wanted to share my experience with removing my skin tab as everyone elses stories helped me get through mine.  I'm actually in my 3rd day post op and the operation seemed better then i expected.  The first day of my operation, i was actually really scared.  I was told by fmily members that it should be quick and easy but really the operation wasn't too bad.  Thank goodness for the anethesia.  The operation as the easy part.  I would say the hard part was actually sticking the needles to get the local anethesia in.  It was hurt a lot and i was so glad when the surgeon finally finished the last one.  Besides that, the cutting and stitching was pretty easy and I barely felt a thing.  The rest of the day was fine as the anesthia didn't wear off.  I walked with a bit of trouble but besides that it was totally fine.  When the anethesia wore off, it kinda stung  bit but I was on painkillers so it didn't last very long.  I had the fortune of not having the site swell (i think) since I had no trouble with it.  I did take a sitz bath twice a day and it  helped with the pain and kept it clean.  So on my third day, it still stings a bit but i wonder if it might be because the stiches came off.  But anyway, today was my first BM and it stung and it bled.. it actually sucked and it hurt but not as bad as I thought everyone descibed it.  Still, I rather not go through it again.  Word of an advice!  Do take some stool softeners because it would have helped since mine was hard and it hurt.  I was prescribed some but didn't think I need it.  I thought wrong!  Well anyway besides that I think it went pretty well.  Still stings a bit but painmeds do help and it seems to be getting better day by day.  Hopefully it heals soon and the stiches go away!  I rather go through everything again and remove the skin tab rather then leave it there for the rest of my life mainly because its a pain to keep clean.  Good luck =)
I had the procedure done today and I was in and out in 30 mins.  The doc shot me with numbing agent.  It was a little painful, but I just continued to breath deeply.  He cut off the skin tag and I didn't feel a thing.  I was so afraid to have this procedure and was putting it off your about 7 years!  Same as other people who posted on here, I felt very self conscious and it was very hard to clean the area.  I am so happy that I got the procedure!!!  I am not taking any pain meds either, just Tylenol.  Good luck!  
Hi all

This is my 11th day of havIng 3 anal skin tags removed and an eua.  Not in ad much pain but pain when i do a bm esp the sting/ burning after.

I am getting a green like discharge from my back passage and looks like i now gave 3 tags left bigger then before is this normal anyone exp the same?

Also i have alot of swelling and i think where they have cut the rags away i am left with 3 incisions which are open and very stingy.

Any help plz?

I know this was a long time ago but I am wondering how you got on with the laser surgery in Turkey.  I will be spending the winter there this year and am thinking of getting a similar procedure.

I felt something weird when I was wiping and asked my Doctor to check it and he said it was a skin tag left from an old hemorrhoid. I didn't even know I had any hemorrhoids. He said it wasn't anything to worry about but the more I think about it I want it gone. I don't want this thing there.
So I guess I need to go back and say I don't care what you think, I'm telling you what I want and I want them removed. I had a few removed from my armpit by another Doctor a few years ago, and they didn't hurt all that much, but reading some of these posts, why does the anal skin tags hurt so much more?
Some essential oils such as Frankincense help reduce swelling and sooth skin
I had two anal skin tags removed 2 weeks ago...one large one outside of the anus and one small one, just inside that protruded out.  I have had them for 15 years and they always had been itchy from bacteria accumulating around and under them.  Several months ago, the one just inside started to bleed when I had a bowel movement.  Finally, I decided to get the removed...and let me tell you...it was the best decision I have ever made.

I went to a colorectal surgeon for the procedure...which he did in the office.  It was very quick.  He gave me two shots, one directly into each skin tag.  It hurt really bad for a second or two and then there was no pain after.  Actually, I really never really had any pain after that during recovery.  Bowel movements were not painful but I did take one stool softener before bed for the first 3-4 nights to avoid hard movements.  I bled slightly for about a week after the procedure and also had some anal leakage for about a week or so.  A Kleenex folded and placed between my cheeks took care of both.  The area where the large skin tag was located remained very swollen for about 10 days and actually looked like the tag was still there.

Tomorrow will be two weeks and I am almost completely healed and the area is pretty smooth now.  The swelling has gone done, bleeding has stop and best of all I do not itch any longer.  I dreaded this procedure for years and wish I had done it much sooner.
the reason there are different reactions , beside the naif one of all being different people of course, from different families and born at different times, but given the importance of the situations, please count also with the fact that all things are under the effect of the movement of the universe. Avoid having a surgery when specially Mars (affects physical activities and surgeries) , Venus (affects beauty operations) and Mercury (decisions, schedullings , contracts and communication) are in retrograde movement (get online information about what this is), i would consider Jupiter and Pluto as well for being related with advancement and transformation respectively. When planets appear  'going backwards' the matters observed as affected tend to do not go well, for some reason, life is full of mysteries that we must take in consideration when are own risks at play, at least
I had a skin tag on my anus, it was big. It kind of looked like a clitoris on my anus, and it grew into my sphincter muscle. It was very strange and I hated having it. I went to several doctors, and none of them wanted to do anything about it because it is the anus, meaning it is dark, dirty, and moist, and they all said that it could easily become affected if they removed it. Finally I round a general surgeon that said she would do it. It was actually surgery. I was put under and then she used a scalpel to cut it out and then sewed my sphincter muscle back together. I was then on a liquid diet for two weeks. I lost a lot of weight, was tired, and it was painful. But I kept it clean by showering after every bowel movement, and everything turned out fine. My anus now looks and feels normal. If you meet a doctor that won't do it, then keep trying. There are doctors and surgeons that are willing to do it.  
Please tell me how long did it take to fully recover from your skin tag removal procedure, and not having any pain
Um, well I was tired the day of my surgery, so I wnt home and went to sleep after the surgery. I took a perscription seditive and was out all that day. The next day I would say the pain was less than I was prepared for, but was still sore. I would say my anus hurt the most for about a week. Then it eased up, but then itched for a week after that. The hardest part was being on a liquid diet for two weeks. The first week was easier cause my body burned up fat but I also lost a lot of muscle. The second week was harder. I was weak and tired. I went in to see my surgeon on day 5 and she told me I could make "enriched" chicken broth if I wasn't getting enough calories in to keep going. So I went to the super market and bought a rotissery chicken and several quart sized cans of chicken broth, carrots, celery, and potatos. Then I deboned the chicken and put all that in a big stew pot and let it simmer for several hours. Then I put a mixer into the pot and pulverized everything, then i strained it though a cheesecloth. I could then drink that and that help a lot. I could then eat solid food on day 14, but still had to shower after I pooped for about 2 more weeks. I would say it was completely over and healed after about 6 weeks.
Hi Susan, I have what you have - my skin tags occurred after a severe bout of hems however. now as you state, after a bowel movement i suffer from slight inflammation , and or itching. then after a few hours nothing.... Some homeopathic remedies im using to alleviate the frustration: Drink 1/2 - 1/2 apple juice and aloe vera juice ( this can be found at walmart, cvs, walgreens, costco, drug imporium, and any healthy supermarket ) i do about 2 cups a day morning and night. externally i put 2 tea sp of olive oil or coconut oil either must be 100% pure, organic the good stuff and 4 drops  NO MORE or else it stings of cypress oil i use the NOW brand of 100% pure Cypress Oil mix well soak on a small cotton pad ( like the ones for make up ) and place directly on tags.... another great thing is to simply apply apple cider vinegar on a cotton ball and apply directly on your Roids or skin tags. . .

just do it one thing at a time and make sure u dont have any negative side effects. if this stuff helps like it does to me then great. good luck keep me posted
i have a whole bunch of skin tags around my anal and vaginal area and i dont want to have any sexual contact with him until they are removed. So my question is, Do I have to go to the ER or a family doctor just to get them all removed? and How long actually did the pain last?
I hope this gives some insights and i need someone to tell me my recovery is NORMAL because im on the verge of frustration and tears.

I just had mine done 3/1/13. I had an anterior and posterior anal tag removed for cosmetic reasons.  posterior as told by my surgeon during consultation shoudl be a clean cut and easy but the anterior might have to go by ear after posterior was removed. procedure was done in office with localized anasthesia. she gave me two lido shots which were real b***h. the posterior tag like she said was easy and took 5 seconds to cut off. well the anastthesia for the anterior wasnt enough so i felt every cut. that was traumatizing and i almost threw up because it was so painful. after the removal she put antibac cream, a cotton ball between my ***, gave me after care instructions, pain med script and i just drove home. dr said anasthesia will be gone in 6 hours so i was expecting excrutiating pain by evening. honestly. without movement no pain. walking and changing positions gave me about 3/10 pain but nothing as traumatizing as the surgery its self.

first day: had my BM as usually in the morning. but took 2 percocet before hand thinking it was going to be severe pain but nope. maybe 3/10 of pain. percocet made me sick and gave severe dizziness and nausa all day (like the WORST hangover you have ever had). ok long story short. Now I am 4 days post op. pain free if I dont try to contract my spincter or sneeze or blow my nose.. actually went to work today which required constant walking.

here is the downside to ALL this. Now i am dealing with what looks like external hemroids. I called the dr she said its just swelling so give it more time. I took a mirror and had a nice closer look today and I wanted to cry. It looked like a freak show. the posterior tag is gone but it left a nice open (almost done healing) slit around the ring of my butt hole. there is abit of swelling to the side of it so it looks like a small tag next to the slit. in the middle of my butt hole is one big one small thrombosed hemroids. and anterior to the hemroids is a smaller slit/healing wound from the anterior tag.  i can feel the pressure, discomfort and maybe occasional pain from the hemroids. I know I am lucky to have no pain and it has only been 4 days post op but can someone PLEASE tell me this was all worth it?!?!? my WORST fear is that after all this pain and suffering i am just going to end where I started: MORE ANAL TAGS and possibility hemroids. :(
I hope you are doing better, please trust me, I know what are you going through as I had the same situation - in short I had hemorroidectomy in the end of December (on something I thought was hemorrhoid but it was large skin tag) - surgery went wrong (best doctor in town) bigger hemorrhoid pop up after 2 weeks (I cried for 2 days straight), I went for second opinion and new doctor said that it is, in fact, large skin tag - I had it removed in the office as you did - yes, I had the exact same hole/slit as you have and again I cried for another day - after 2 weeks hole/slit closed up very nicely. Slit you are reffering to WILL CLOSE - please trust me. DO LOTS of sitz bath with epson salt, helped me a lot. However, yesteday 3/6, I discovered anoter tiny small interior tag - I am planning to have it removed if that will be an option (more cutting there). Your swelling should be gone by two weeks, but if it does look like hemorrhoid and its RED (if this is what you are having) - that will go down.
Please write.  
Today was even worse actually. yesterday I went to sleep crying because I was sore and upset after having an afternoon BM. Cried again this morning because my spinchter went into spasm mid BM and gave me alot of pain(i thought i ripped the wound open).  the wound was extremely sore and irritated. I had to go to work. cried on my drive to work because i was constipated (geez this sounds like a bad hemorid cream commercial). Had massive diarhea (diarrhea) at work (yea it just got worse). and i coudnt even shower and clean the area. got home. showered. took a look. well. the area is more swollen. its no longer red. now its just swollen and skin-colored three sore tags. I bought more fiber powder hoping it would easy the stool passing. so hopefully the swelling witll go back down and the slits will close up like you said. or else im just going to be miserable forever.

and good luck with the new tag.

I have never had hemorrhoids or anything to do with my anal opening. EVER...not even after pushing out to babies. Nothing. Until now. I have noticed a small piece of skin that is at the top of the opening. It goes away when I stretch the skin (I know TMI!!!). When it is pinched it does not hurt at all. My issue is, it is ugly and not normal looking. My husband likes anal intercourse once in a blue moon and I usually give in... I want it gone. I don't feel sexy and I don't like the fact that I have to wipe more than normal after having a BM. I usually use the flush able wipes for the softness. MY OB/GYN said to just live with it. Well I really like to be touched all over by my husband but I won't let him look or touch anymore, because I think it is disgusting looking. So I guess I want it gone for cosmetic reasons and for my own self consciousness. Does anyone have any advice? I don't want any pain or surgery. I have had shots in the vag during birth which were OMG out of this world painful so I don't really want that either. Which would be better? General or local? HELP...
I am currently 23 days post surgery. almost all swelling is down and definitely not as traumatizing looking as it did two weeks ago. posterior tag is completely gone. even the post surgical swelling(which i thought was another new tag growing). right now it just looks like I have an anterior tag smaller than the anterior one i had before. but my doctor said just give it a bit more time to heal because the anterior one was difficult to remove because it wasnt a clean cut and right now the area is still inflammed.

I hope in a few more weeks the swelling disappears. BUT.(no pun) i have a feeling the anterior one is going to stay...maybe it might shrink a little but it looks like its staying. I hope I am wrong.
Hi hotbunz88. I had two tags removed 9 days ago and they look exactly how you described yours. Before I read your post I was freaking out because my anal area now looks soooo much worse than before the surgery. But the nurse said that it is normal for it to be swollen like that, and to have what appears to be a hemorrhoid peeking out. In fact she pretty much said "It's going to look like someone hacked it up, like in the movie Saw!" lol But I don't know, I'm just worried that it's going to look like that permanently. I'm 24, female, and this really puts a huuuge damper on my self esteem lol.

How does your area look now and do you have any discharge? I'm getting this weird "period" like smell that someone above also posted about. Also sometimes I get this searing pain which I think is where the incisions sites were. Did that pain go away finally for you?

im about a month and half post op.

posterior tag completely gone. the slit healed up. still anterior tag swelling which looks like anterior tag. and occasionally after BM i wipe I notice fresh blood on my tp. so i made an appt today and did a check up. the dr said there is internal hemoroids which was there before but didnt bother me so she didnt do anything about it i guess after the surgery it was irritated. so she banded the internal hrds. when I got home i used a mirror and took a look. and bam! the anterior swelling was gone!!! and it looked normal FOR ONCE IN 7 YEARS. i guess the swelling i though twas my anterior tag was just residual swellig from the internal hrm. she said the swelling should subside and be patient.

my advice is to keep the area clean. 2-3 scoops of metacil a day. eat less food and mostly veggies. I didnt get any funky smell or discharge. just occasoinal bleeding during my recovery. not too much pain either aside from what was mentioned. sorry I ddint respond sooner! good luck and it will get better i promise!
This is an old story but it is very similar to my experience so far.  I would add my entire experience so far but your story sums up what I have experienced thus far.   I had surgery on April 23, 2013.  The worse part was when the local anesthesia wore off but for the last two days I have been working and up and about as normal but I don't have a overly active routine so I was able to go back to work right after the procedure.  I haven't looked down there and I refuse to until things have calmed down.  The nurse told me to put about 4-5 ice cubes in a bag and put in the area to lesson the swelling and help with the bleeding with is pretty much gone - I do have some discharge but not an abundance.  My doctor cut off 2 skin tags and said the other may flatten out or he may remove it once the area is healing fine.  I didn't have stitches as he said he cuts them off and leaves the area open to heal and that lessons the chance for scar tissue and tearing.  I have faith in my doctor and I am happy I had it done - so far :)  I will certainly report on heal time and final results for those of you who are interested.  Last thing, I don't jump in the tube after every BM - I have a squirt bottle that I fill with warm water and I thoroughly cleanse the area and pat dry and then I put gauge there to catch any drainage, etc.  Good luck to everyone!
This is an old story but it is very similar to my experience so far. I had surgery on April 23, 2013.  The worse part was when the local anesthesia wore off but for the last two days I have been working and up and about as normal but I don't have a overly active routine so I was able to go back to work right after the procedure.  I haven't looked down there and I refuse to until things have calmed down.  The nurse told me to put about 4-5 ice cubes in a bag and put in the area to lesson the swelling and help with the bleeding with is pretty much gone - I do have some discharge but not an abundance.  My doctor cut off 2 skin tags and said the other may flatten out or he may remove it once the area is healing fine.  I didn't have stitches as he said he cuts them off and leaves the area open to heal and that lessons the chance for scar tissue and tearing.  I have faith in my doctor and I am happy I had it done - so far :)  I will certainly report on heal time and final results for those of you who are interested.  Last thing, I don't jump in the tube after every BM - I have a squirt bottle that I fill with warm water and I thoroughly cleanse the area and pat dry and then I put gauge there to catch any drainage, etc.  Good luck to everyone!
Hi hotbunz88

i had my 2 skin tags removed on March 15, 2013 and im not half way healed. Went to my Dr last week for him to tell me that they mght have to go back there and cut me again since i have what looks like a flap of skin coming out of the cut where the tag was removed. Dr said this was not normal. Im scared and do not want to go thru this again. I hope this flap is just swelling and it will go away. For me this experience has been very painful.

Are you all healed up now?
I'm 44 and have had anal tags for years...I remember when I was around 19, my doctor offered to attach a rubber band like material around them to cut the blood off and that they would eventually shrivel and fall off...I didn't take him up on that for some reason so here I am, 25 years later still contemplating what to do.
I'm 18 and recently I got a skin tag on my bum. It's been bothering me like crazy because I've never had anything like this before! It doesn't hurt or anything but I would like to get it removed if possible. I believe I got it after roughly wiping since it swelled up into a balloon but by the next day the swelling went down and now its just extra skin. Any advice?
HI saw your comment on anal skin tag i have them too stiil thought maybe we can talk/are you male or female? IHATE NEEDLES to arm is tolerable but other place HURTTTTT so bad leave email if we can talk thanks