Recurring Blisters on feet

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Recurring Blisters on feet

I am 27  year old female and  have had these blisters on feet since i was 16. They start up small then getting bigger as the liquid fills up. At that point the pressure is too much then it bursts.  After it drains and the skin is peeled, you can see a tiny hole that seems to lead into the flesh. The blisters are painless and do not stop me from walking around but the few times that it has gotten infected, it has caused me great pain. I normally have these blisters 2-3 times a year a for a period of about one a half weeks. I have been to the doctors office many times but they are not able to give me a reason for them.

Would anyone know what may be the cause. A food allergic reaction perhaps?

I noticed that someone had asked the same question in September of 1999 on this forum. The way he describes the blisters is exactly how i get them.

Please advise if you have any idea as to what is causing my blisters.
do they itch??
I have the same thing and have gone to the dermatologist and regular doctor and they have just given me cream to put on it but it has one foot looking like its infected, cant wear flip flops and usually comes during the warm season along with once or twice other times of the year, I too want to know what it is and how to get rid of it. I see the reply from the question asked in 1999 but again can I get a treatment, what do I do when they flare up, as u stated when you leave them alone they fill up till they burst, then what?, If you pop them when they are small they just reoccur and leave a mark on your foot. And its only one foot the left foot. Pretty crazy huh..ur not alone..
My son has a similiar problem. Left foot, deep blisters, but his are filled with pus. He takes a syringe and draws the pus out of them and it is quite a bit. Then uses the syringe to put in peroxide. He has to do it a couple times until it finally clears up. His does hurt, I guess because they start out infected. They are deep under the thick skin of the foot. We can't figure out what is causing them. Strange, I agree.  
I have these strange blisters as well.  Also only on my left arch and usually during warmer weather.  I too want to learn what they are and how to treat.  Sometimes they itch and are occasionally hurt. Any insight would be much appreciated.
So strange! I have this same thing going on. I've had a blister here and there over the last couple of years but have really had a lot of them as of late. I am 31 years old and it only affects my left foot. I don't leave them alone so I don't know if they'll burst. I can't! They itch too much! I must pop them and stick some neosporin and a bandaid on the hole. I haven't gone to the doctor yet. I have several and the neosporin has helped the holes clear up after popping. Nothing seems to help the itch though. I tried cortisone and lotrimin spray for Athletes Foot. No luck. The best thing to stop the itch is to pop the blister and then it burns a little, which is more bearable than the itch. Please let me know if you have found an explanation and/or a remedy. Thank you!
i also have this problem the blisters are tiny about the size of a pin head but they get bigger over time, they are filled with clear liquid, it started off on just my feet then it spread to my hands it only happens when the season become warmer they only hurt if i pop them you can see that they go quite deep but they don't itch if i pop them, their not a threat to my health which is why there's probably no treatment for it besides creams that only provide a temporary solution if it even works that is. i have been to the doctors many times and none have given me a working solution just a way to waste my money on expensive creams. the only thing that seems to help is when the seasons become cool again but i don't want to spend all my summers trying to hide my hands and feet because of the blisters. it's only nearing the end of winter and already they've shown up again.
Wow, we all have the same issue so it has to be something the doctors can figure out. Small bumps on the foot that are filled with clear liquid, itch when it's filled, but okay after you pop them or they pop alone and they reoccur.  There has to be a reason why this is happening, maybe they should test the liquid in the bump to see what they come up with.  It can't be as cut and dry as a cream that doesn't really work. That means it's still undiagnosed.  Wow a doctor needs to help.
I have the same problem, but it's only on my RIGHT foot.  On the underside of the foot in the arch.

For a while I thought they only occurred, or occurred more severely when I wasn't getting enough sleep and when I would take an aspirin to go to sleep.  But now even though I would stop taking aspirin at all they still show up... especially when I am not getting enough rest.

Curious if everyone who said "me too" here is a typical Westerner and is also sleep deprived a lot of the time.
My blisters formed on the bottom of both feet after applying foot lotion and then taking a power walk.  Now my right foot is okay, but the left still has recurring blistering in areas not exposed to pressure.  Podiatrist didn't have an answer (except to apply cortisone cream).  Food allergy?  Sunflower seeds?  Excessive foot sweating?
I get these too from time to time.  We used to call them sweat blisters.  Pretty deep under the skin, right foot only in the arch.  Mine don't itch, just kind of annoying.  I usually just pop them and clean the area with rubbing alchohol.  Here is an article on what they may well be:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyshidrosis
Its amazing.  Its the same thing, recurring certain seasons of the year and drs dont know what it is.  Its so frustrating.  I've been struggling with this for 4 years now.  I first got it after camping.  My dr said its not Athletes foot, which I thot it was for years, but he also couldnt tell me what it is.  There has to be a solution, I really dont feel like going thru this again.
I too "suffer" from these blisters that you are all speaking of as do one of my four sisters and my father as well. The rest of the family do not get them. I have been told they are a form of cellulitis and are not a fungal infection. If you do use an antifungal and they disappear its more than likely because time has simply passed and they would have dried up on there own anyway. I have noticed that popping them may cause them to become infected since an open wound in a moist sock is not always the ideal environment for healing. Whats also strange is for as deep as they can be sometimes, they don't scar my feet. Anyway, I don't think they are anything to be alarmed by. I know they are not contagious because my wife would have gotten them by now and I can deal with the couple of flare ups a few times a year.
hello quick question does any here have migraine and take certain pills for them? because i too have these so-called blisters in between two of my toes, one on the left foot, and one of the right...and im starting to notice that since last year ive been taking excedrin migraine medicine and there maybe a allergic reaction to it?
I have been getting clusters of small fluid filled blisters on my toes since June of last year, no itching or pain, just annoying and ugly and they take several weeks to heal. When the blisters pop or dry up, I can peel them off and they leave a small hole.  I have tried antifungals and they do nothing. I also get them throughout the year. I get them on both feet, but mostly on my big toe or the outer edge of my foot.  It is very strange.  I also get cold sores and have wondered if it is the same virus although they do not hurt
I also get migraines, but I have 3 blisters occuring on the same place on my right arch. They dry out, the skin flakes off and then blister again. In this process it is itchy until the blister occurs then it burns until I pop it. I have been using an anitfungal cream the Dr prescribed for 6 weeks now- religiously, NO CHANGE.

I dont how ever take anything to prevent my migraines, only take drugs when I have a migraine coming on- and that is over the counter drugs as all the others seemed to make the nausiness worse.

I dont know if there is a link to these blisters and migraines??
I have the same thing came online to cheek it out and I am amazed at the numbers of people who have the same thing yet no one knows what the cause is or what they are, there's something strange if it is more common than you think yet unknown really to the medical profession, my problem is with my right foot and it appears to be a pus type liquid.
I too have these blisters on the side of my right foot. They just continue to come and go, I pop them, because they itch like all get out, then it burns.then I see the hole. My skin is very scaly, and the blisters have begun to start showing up in the sole of my right foot as well. I have multiple sclerosis, and I do know that these blisters have nothing to do with that. I take Imitrex for migraines and  neurotin for leg pains. I would really like to know if this is a form of eczema and what I can do about this because it is very painful to touch and the skin is very scaly and red. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks.
I have the same thing....identical to everyones postings. I too have had for years and have been searching for answers. I have found that once you pop them, soak your feet in epsom salts...seem to help them dry up quickly. I believe it is eczema, if you search the web you'll find identical pictures of what you have....unfortunately, no cure. ..for they do not know what causes it.
I have read that hgh (from gnc) in some cases has eliminated outbreaks. this is just something i have came across over the years.
Holy Crap atleast we r not alone my wife and i both get them on our hands and feet.  I wish i knew something to do.  We share  in your pain.  I also wodered if it wasnt some sort of exema (eczema)?
I too get these, and also have flaky skin... it is either dyshidrosis eczema or a form of athlete's foot.. Athlete's foot is most commonly recognized as flkay itchy burning skin... however it can infect the sole. When it does, you see the very bumps being described in these posts. A sports medicine doctor would be able to recognize and diagnose this very easily. However, treatments of antifungals may or may not help. HERE... is a link for an at home treatment that seems to do the trick! I am going to find this stuff and try it out myself tomorrow. Hope this helps. (I would also change out your shoes, as they may be carrying the fungus) http://www.healthyoates.com/2009/11/30/easy-natural-remedy-for-athletes-foot/
I have the same problem as the rest of you above comments.  small blisters on right foot, however mine itch real bad sometimes.  The only relief I get is to use Hydrocortisone Cream.  Anti-fungal creams do nothing.  Epsom salt helps a lot too.
I too have had this annoying problem and I have all ways been very aware of this unpleasant looking foot problem, mainly in the summer.
Mine however becomes worse depending on how much sleep I get, how much sport I have done, if I have been eating well and how well I have been cleaning my feet.
It was groups of liquid filled spots that would pop by themselves and once they had popped and dried out they would then make the skin in these areas peel and go very flaky.
But, I think I have finally gotten rid of the problem and I will tell you how.

First of all I cleaned my feet twice a day using an antibacterial soap and when the skin on my feet was soft, I removed the softened callus skin every day for one week. Then allow them to be as dry as possible at all other times.
In the second week in addition to this treatment, (when my feet were very dry) I would rub in some zinc cream or sudacrem to the infected areas.
Finally I threw out most of my shoes (trainers being the worst) and bought some new ones.
I haven't had this problem for 8 months now and feel so much happier to wear flip flops or walk around in bear feet.
I think it was a bacterial infection that had infected deep under the thick skin and flared up when my immune system was weak and didn't help when my feet sweat a lot. I did find popping them help as it speeded up the time it took to disappear.
Let me know how you get on....
I too have this same blistering problem on my feet. I get these deep seated blisters in the arches of my feet and also on the outside of my heels. I only usually get a few at a time and once they go away, I will sometimes go months before getting more. From what I found online, it appears it is Dyshidrosis, although the pictures I saw were quite worse than mine, the description still sounds the same. Unfortunately, it sounds like there are no known exact causes or treatments. There are about a ton of possible causes and treatments for that particular cause. Look it up.

have blisters on the feet they come and go. Not painful but they keep on paling making my feet look ugly.
I have also had the same issues since I was young, except they were on my hands. None of my GPs have given me any answers and only advised me to use OTC hydrocortisone creams. Last Dec they spread though and got worse! By Feb I had them on my scalp, feet and legs.  They all start out just clear filled but quickly fill with puss, itch like crazy, sting when popped, and cause a lot of peeling around the site. They are very deep, and are everywhere on my feet and hands, legs and scalp now. The Dermatologist I went to in Feb didn't give me much info at 1st. I think the definitions are really too broad and its only through several visits, watching how the creams work, or not, can a definite diagnoses be given. During my 2nd visit I was persistant for a name, to be given a diagnoses, and I was given one. A combination of Eczema/Psoriasis is what she said. After many more visits the diagnosis changed to Pustular Psoriasis. None of the treatment plans we tried have worked to keep it under control. So its like a cycle of getting better and breaking out again. This is the 1stce I was young that these little blisters changed my skin to hard, scaly, thick skin everywhere they are, except my legs. I have many other health problems and recently seen a rheumatologist, having been referred by my new GP, and found I have PSA- Psoriatic Arthritis, and until my insides are under control, the external pustular psoriasis couldn't be, they closely affect one another. So at this time, its trial and error til we find what meds will work best for me, as I continue with the external treatment plan that I was already on. I would suggest going to a Dermatologist and being persistant on getting answers. If you go to WebMD and start searching, there are many different things it could be that's causing the same little bumps. But I would bet that some of you have a really mild case of what I have, since mine is categorized as moderate to severe, and my next step is Humira (sp). Good luck to you all and God Bless! <3  
I would also like to add that salt water works great, like the beach, or epsom salt soaks in hot water! The dry, itchy, scaly, red and painful sites that I have now are nothing compared to how mine were for years. And as many of you have noted already, lack of sleep, stress, and many other factors all affect the condition, including the weather. I too am sleep deprived, have ad major life changing events happening, some very traumatic so my mental health also plays a role, stressed out, and I believe some medications may also make them worse. Most people find that either summer or winter the pumps improve. So far since mine have taken a turn f worse, I haven't had that relief since last year. I am currently reading a book that has some great info called "Healing Psoriasis - The Natural Alternative" By John O. A. Pagano, D.C.. It is all natural and from what I have read here, dehydration and toxin levels that we hold in our bodies is the #1 cause! He also states that it can be 100% cured with changing of our eating habits as well as other daily living factors. Funny that I now have this book because I was saying to ALL my dr's that I felt my body was highly toxic and the only way my body could relieve itself with my liver n kidneys over loaded, was through my skin, hence the pustular blisters. The skin isn't equipped to handle such a process, but if there were other issues of infection, this is exactly the way our skin would handle removing the excess toxins. Anyways, I hope this added info helps, if anyone else decides to get the book to read also, let me know, I also bought the cookbook too! :) would love to share info and ideas with you!
Had anyone taken any kind of penicillin before getting the blisters. My husband had gotten a serious case of posion ivy before he started getting the same blisters as described above. We used the penicillin to dry out the posion and now he has the blisters on his feet.
I have had small itchy water blisters all over the bottoms of both of my feet. I have gone to the Dr. in the past and they have prescribed me athletes foot medication that always made it worse. In between my toes itch all the time too and the only way for me to relieve the itch is to use the rough part of a sock and rub it back and forth between all my toes which then makes them RAW and bloody and they still itch. I have popped the little blisters and just left them alone but they still always itch. Now I have raw bloody spots on the bottom of my foot where I have dug in with my fingernails and scratched. Please help if you know of anything I can do... :(
I have the same problem..... It flared up when I came to Scotland from Africa, it might be triggered by change of weather. It starts up as tiny blisters on the left foot and of late I have been getting these huge blisters under my toes. The blisters are painless and I always burst them then clean them up with some antiseptic. It's worrying though because they keep on recurring.
WOW.
I thought I was the only one with this.
I don't know what it is BUT.
I have Oral lichen planus along with blisters on my feet mostly the right foot.
I got a blister on my right foot (not in an area that might be caused by rubbing or pressure) so I went to my dermatologist, she drained the blister and prescribed Diprolene AF, (not sure if it helps but I use it).
While I was having an occurrence of blisters my Oral lichen planus flared up, so I went to my Dr. and got a script for Prednisolone, it is a 6 day decreasing regimen of a steroid.
(Please note, steroids are not to be taken lightly, see your Dr.)
At the end of the steroid regimen the Oral lichen planus cleared up AND so did the blisters.
I now have the blisters recurring on my right foot again (3 weeks after ending the steroid regimen).

So I will wait for a flareup of the Oral lichen planus, and take the steroids as prescribed by the Dr. and report back if it clears the blisters or not.
Probably be a month or so.

I will report back, Promise.
I just started to get this a couple of months ago. I had three little ones on my pinky toe, when the podiatrist could not diagnose the, he chemically cauterized them and they were gone. The I got a another one near the ball of my foot and a small one on the side of my big toe. They all start out very itchy, then grow larger with clear fluid. I just went to a derm yesterday, he sent a sample of the little one for a work up and lanced the big one. Still no diagnosis, will report back once I hear any thing.

BTW, I have no prior history of migraines, eczema or psoriasis. I am a bit sleep deprived, but nothing major.
By the way, all this is only on my right foot.
That is so weird! Its my left too that's infected! Im 26 now and I've had this since i was 5yrs old! I've been going to doctors nothing has helped, i get it every spring/summer n know since last year its starting to spread to my hands :(... Help!
i have it to deep in the skin i pop them because they itch so bad and it happens in warm weather and im a flip flop person i have been to doctor they say athlete feet but its not. no one has an answer! whats going on?
This is odd, I'm 41 and only recently started to get these, left foot only, start small then get bigger. I started swimming 3 times a week a few months ago and the blisters started about a month later so maybe a link?
  Anyway, odd that everyone gets it left foot only, maybe its left food disease or something or maybe the right foot holds the remedy but refuses to share with the left lol.
Wow,,  omg   !!  reading your story feel's as though I wrote it.  Gonna get that book  ty  ty
I have a HUGE blister that keeps occuring in the arch of my right foot. I can tell as soon as it is about to start because it gets red, very hot , and itchy. It will come of in a matter of a couple of hours. By the next day it is totally filled with fuid. The one I have now is atleast an inch and a half in diameter all the way around. It can be both painful and itcy. I am having some allergy issues at the moment and stress as well. Probably a lack of sleep also. I have had this thing twice in the last two months. Help!
As a follow up, I just wanted to inform you that I had the dermatologist do bacterial AND fungal cultures of the fluid in the blister. Even though the podiatrist, my primary physician and the dermatologist all did not think it was a fungal infection (they also thought it might be excema or some sort of allergy), it turned out to be a FUNGAL INFECTION. Please look up Vesicular Athletes Foot (also called Jungle Rot, eww!!) - it is the least common type of AF. If you do not clean or rid yourself of potentially infected shoes, you will reinfect yourself and others, along with your sheets, the bathroom mats, carpets, etc. For curing, the doc game me funal medication pill and cream to be used after soaking foot in boro powder 2x a day for few days. This will dry out the blisters and get the skin ready to absorb the cream. Also, white vinegar & water soaks really help too!! The itch is gone and helps to dry out the area. I was all cured in 2 weeks. Please get yourself cultured...I had to almost demand it!!!
Started to get this troublesome blisters, on both feet usually on the rim of the foot before touching ground. Also between the small toes. Finally got down to seeing a doctor who conservatively started with Dermasone, Mycoban and Saerogenta-A.....none of which worked. Got referred to a skin specialist who did a culture of the blister's fluid and affected skin.
When she asked me whether I was doing anything different from before, I told him that I was messing around with my pond. She gave me potassium permanganate solution to give my feet a good soak. Then to apply Fobancort cream on the affected areas. Told me that I was not sweet sixteen and my skin was drying out. That creates cracks where fungi love to call home. To solve dry skin I had to apply White Soft Parraffin BP Ointment. (this stuff is 'oily'. So I walked around with a pair of socks. The blisters were busted within a week........the problem did return when I got lazy with the paraffin application .........(life long chore). But getting back to the treatment regimen busted the fungi again.
It could be Pompholyx a type of eczema.The cause can be metals such as nickel or cobalt in food or on the skin, antibiotic called neomycin, perfumes, emotional stress.Foods rich in nickel ie canned foods,foods cooked in nickel-plated utensils, herring, oysters,asparagus and beans may be the cause.I was given Hydrocortison cream 1.0% to rub in the area 3 times a day for a fortnight. I get it on my hands and feet and occasionally on my neck if i use after shave. Stopped eating beans to see if thats the cause.
I just recently started getting these about a year ago. Some things:

1. They're only on the left food, right between the balls, just above the arch
2. I have a history of Athlete's foot on the same foot, though it hasn't flared in years
3. The pustules are relatively small, about the size of a sewing pin head, maybe a bit smaller
4. They itch something positively FIERCE
5. The skin all over that area is dried, cracking and flaking very badly, all across the top of my foot and even up between most of my toes
5. Water soaks seem to make it worse, though regular moisturizing with a pure organic cocoa or shae butter "lotion" seems to keep the cracking from being worse than it is (though I'm sure if I didn't use the moisturizer my foot WOULD probably look worse than this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Dyshidrosis_sole.jpg)
6. There hasn't been any infections when popping them
7. It started showing up after I got a pair of flip-flops that had a sponge like sole. The shoes themselves seem to irritate it even more when I wear them, but I stopped wearing them for 6 months and saw no improvement either way, so Idk.

They're really annoying and so far none of the things I've tried (some of which has come from this thread from other's suggestions) has really helped. I'd really like to figure out what it is or what's causing it, if anyone has any ideas.
Also, it seems like I've had the same 3 blisters this whole time. They've never filled with very much liquid and never popped on their own. The skin in the area of my foot where they formed was too thick for me to pop by scratching (as I can usually do with other blisters that form) and I actually broke down and had to get a pair of fingernail/toenail clippers to break the skin over the liquid.
Does anyone still read this? I have the exact same problem!
yeah i do!!! I'm 18 and i've been getting these fluid filled bubbles on my LEFT foot only and sometimes on my hands in the late SPRING and SUMMER only ever since i was young...my feet look normal during the fall and winter, it's only in the summer...I'm embarrassed to show my feet and sometimes it's hard to wear certain shoes on b/c it hurts...
Whenever I go to the dermatologist, he prescribes hydrocortisone cream for me... ughh i really don't want to deal with them every summer of the rest of my life :( and i have to put the cream on my foot and jump around on my left foot until the cream dries ... :/ i forget if its eczema...it might not be though
i meant i jump around on my RIGHT foot...lol :P
I recently went camping on a sandbar by  local river.  Within 4 or 5 days I noticed a few blisters on bottom of feet at the arch.  This is both feet and they itch.  I now have larger blisters on bottom of feet and very tiny blisters around the sides and tops of feet.  I was walking barefoot in hot sand while camping.  It has now been 1 week since camping trip.  Today I took a bath in "baking soda water" and sprinkled some on feet when bath was done.  We'll see what happens.
Wow, so I'm not alone at all.  My blisters occur on the sides of my feet, both of them but usually one at a time? Also dead center of the bottom in the arch, and along sides and tops of my toes, EXTREMELY itchy, worst I've ever felt, fill with clear fluid and when I pop them it feels better at first, then its sore.  Also my hands usually peal away entire layer of skin a couple times per year, itch at the blistery areas and knuckles.  My history is Lupus SLE, but this started after diagnosis which was four years ago, mostly in the spring/summer.  Yes I where flip flops,  I'm tired of this.

Did you see any improvement? My son also has the similar blisters.

Anshul
My 3 yr old daughter has that same problem and on her left foot as well. It comes like 3 times a yr and I know is really painful, she wakes up at nigjt sometimes because of the psin anf itch. Her doctor says it is just an infection and to use neosporine. Which I hsve and it helps thr healing process but does not stop them from appearing. I dont wamt her to have this problem all her life as nd have to desl with thr pain from them. She dont even likes for me to touch her foot. Maybe keeping her foot from sweating or getting too moist? I know it mostly appears during the summer and hurts more while showering. So I assume it has somethinh to do with that. If anyone finds out anything that can be helpful with this please let me know.
It looks like this:

http://www.athletes-foot.eu/vesicular.php
It sounds like a boil to me, but I've never heard of one on foot...I think it's that because boils can have this foul looking little hole, similar to what you described.

Good luck.
I'm 41 & have had this condition for around 7-9 years as far as I can recall with no other health issues to speak of.  It started off with small blisters on a few of my fingers & then they started appearing on my feet.  Not too bad nor painful at first but in the past 2-3 years I do remember a few bouts where it was pretty nasty & with a quite a bit of discomfort.

Over the years I've tried a multitude of doctors plus anti-fungal,antibacterial, eczema, moisturising creams, along with regular trips to my local beach & even some pretty strong hydrogen peroxide (along with cream).  Nothing really helped nor got rid of this long term.

Earlier in the year I got fed up with my feet & thought I'd google this condition again (last time was around 4-5 years ago with very little info) & came upon this page. I read and re-read this page & thought I'd give anti-fungal cream one more try after  noting Salsachick's advice about this being a fungal infection.

I didn't get any fungal pills nor foot soak like Salsachick, this time I simply used an anti-fungal cream along with neutrogena norwegian hand cream (fragrance free) applied liberally twice a day.  The latter is a great cream for dry  hands/feet & I think it helped with the anti-fungal cream getting absorbed deeper & more thoroughly than it would otherwise. I'm not sure if this will help everyone/anyone as it has helped me but my feet & hands have been absolutely free of this for 6 months now.  I don't recall the last time they've been like that & hopefully they stay like that forever.  

i also have allstate,i mean these blisters, i have all the same problems, ie. lack of sleep, i take ambian and tylonol only, i recently finished HEP-C therapy INCIVIC-PEGASUS-COPEGUS which is an anti-viral therapy, during this therapy i had  no blisters, now they are back, it is kinda odd that some people here associate the blisters with flip flops, my blisters reapeared after i bought a new pair???? coincedence? i get them on both feet on the soles and sides of the feet where rubbing does not occur, i used to get tiny ones on my hands that i always thought odd,but never associated them with the ones on my feet which itch and take forever to heal no matter what i try,my shoes are over a year old lol my favs, my feet sweat but my shoes and feet dont stink at all, like when you have athletes foot, so im going to the dr. and demanding a culture to find out what it is for sure, ill get back to you all,
I have the same problem as the rest of the posts. Except my stepfather had them when I was a child. We all used the same shower. Maybe they are contagious. My brother has them, my mother, my wife and children also. My mom and I also get them on top of the fingers. I've never been to the doctor about this problem. We all also get fever blisters  ( herpes simplex ).. Maybe they are related.
That is what I had. Please check out my follow-up post of what I had the doctor do for diagnosis. If there are fluid-filled blisters, get boro powder from the drug store to make solution for soaking. This will help to dry out the blisters and then use the fungal cream that the doctor prescribes. I was also given fungal pills which all helped.
If the family is living together, I think it can be contagious if this is the vesicular Athlete's Foot. Clean all carpets, shower and bathtubs, throw all socks and replace. As for shoes, either throw them or clean them with white vinegar - water solution. Once mine were cured, I keep a spray bottle of white vinegar-water solution in the showered and spray it on my feet when showering.

I remember the agony, so truly hope my suggestions are helpful.
I too have the small blisters, very itchy until you pop the blisters.  Then they flake and sometimes reoccur.  Unlike others I have this on my right foot only, under the arch and sometimes on the inside of the foot. I share shower with my wife she has never gotten this. Right now I have three groups of these on my right foot.  I am currently working alot on a job that I sweat very much and they seem to be getting worse, but only on the right foot.  I will go months without them, only for them to reoccur.  Mine are not very painful but at times I will remove my shoe to pop the itchy blisters for relief.
At lease I know I am not alone.  Thanks to all.
I'd guess that many of these cases are related to a condition called pompholyx (also called "dishydrosis"). It's not very well understood or curable, but here's a site with more information:

http://www.pompholyx.co.uk/

I recently started having the kind on my hands, and some strange stuff happening on my feet too, so I feel everyone's pain!
I too have recurring blisters on my right foot. Recently spread to my left. I walked a week in flip flops in the bahamas. My feet burned and were red. Months later I get tiny blisters that would show up on my right foot. One would come then dry up and turn up somewhere else on my foot.then they turned to clusters. Not much pain nor itch. Now they show up at the corner of my toe nail and altho I kno it will fill with clear liquid then dry up and reappear somewhere else, these now bleed out and are sore before drying up and new skin appears. Its been all summer so far. Powder helps to keep my foot dry. I also use a&d ointment to expedite the healing and a loose bandage to prevent irritation. Switched shoes but nothing changed. No doc seen yet.
I get exactly the same symptoms in the arch of my right foot and a couple on the inside of my heel. I use Surgical Spirit to clean it which really makes it feel better, soothes the itch, and then Fucidin (steroid cream previously prescribed by a doctor - not sure if this works but the surgical spirit keeps it clean and stops the itching).
I have noticed a trend with my shoes - if i have worn closed in shoes in the summer, or plastic non-breathable boots in the winter and my feet sweat, this is when the blisters seems to make an appearance, and if bad enough will weep this clear fluid even without popping them myself. Wearing flip flops or open/airy shoes also helps to dry them out, in which state they heal quicker.
The link you provided is very useful.  I have been suffering with this condition on my left foot for nearly 30 years.  I'm desperate to find a way to diminish the outbreaks, which in my case is daily.  Thanks.
Will give your remedy a try.  Thanks for posting it.
I found this web site yesterday. My son has the same symptoms as you all have been referring to. He just developed it about 1 month ago. I thought that it was some form of athletes foot however the treatments werent doing anything. After reading what you have all posted, I decided to try some Essential Oils. I get mine through a company called Yound Living here in Utah. So I had him put a drop of Melaleuca alternifolia and a drop of Young Living's Pan Away (a blend of oils- Wintergreen, Helichrysum, Clove, and Peppermint) with Cetaphil lotion (fragrance free) and massage into his feet and hands. I also had him change from wearing his normal thick socks to wearing a lighter weight sock and to leave them on as much as possible. At first the oils burned the spots where there is cracking and dryness but then it stopped as well as the itching! I had him reapply at bed time last night and again this morning. So far, so good! He said that they havent itched or burned since the first application! Im hoping that it will heal the blisters and stop it from coming back. Just thought that I would pass the info on. Maybe it will help one of you out. I will repost in a week and let you know how he is doing
CURE that works for me: I came across this thread and had to post. Ive done some tests with different kinds of foods over the years. I get blisters if i eat foods with artificial flavour enhancers (621, 635) (thats the main culprit) and preservatives. Preservatives are in almost all foods. Eg. most breads, almost all processed food.

If you dont believe me. Try eating a big bag of chips like cheese CC's and within 1-2 weeks you will have a big blister or more on your feet.

Get rid of the cause instead of just treating the blisters.

My symptoms are clear fluid filled blisters on feet (and i dont have herpes simplex). They are slightly itchy but not a problem if i leave them alone.

My theory is that eczema, allergies, childrens behavioural issues etc are commonly diet related. I do a lot of reading through scientific journals but am not a doctor. I think most doctors are dont do any extra reading or keep up to speed with current research.

Try 2 months of non processed foods and drinks (yes its hard to do) and see if im right. I bet you you dont get blisters!
Hi all, I had the same issue for some time and saw a dermatologist.
The only reason it was able to be diagnosed is because for the first time ever I got small bumps/blisters on my right hand, previously it had only ever been on my feet and is apparently way more common on hands than feet and presents in a specific way.
Dyshidrosis can be quite mild from a few blisters (usually in warmer weather) to hands and feet being completely covered.
I was prescribed a steroid cream n no longer have any issues. See below copied from a site.

Dyshidrosis (also known as "acute vesiculobullous hand eczema,"[1] "cheiropompholyx,"[2] "dyshidrotic eczema,"[2] "pompholyx,"[2] and "podopompholyx"[2]) is a skin condition that is characterized by small blisters on the hands or feet. It is an acute, chronic, or recurrent dermatosis of the fingers, palms, and soles, characterized by a sudden onset of many deep-seated pruritic, clear vesicles; later, scaling, fissures and lichenification occur. Recurrence is common and for many can be chronic. Incidence/prevalence is said to be 1/5,000 in the United States. However, many cases of eczema are diagnosed as garden-variety atopic eczema without further investigation, so it is possible that this figure is misleading.

This condition is not contagious to others, but its unsightly nature can lend to awkward social interaction. The compromised integument can increase susceptibility to infection, and the accompanying itching can be a source of psychological duress.

The name comes from the word "dyshidrotic," meaning "bad sweating," which was once believed to be the cause, but this association is unproven; there are many cases present that have no history of excessive sweating. There are many different factors that may trigger the outbreak of dyshidrosis such as allergens, stress, or seasonal changes. Emotional stress may also further aggravate the condition.
From what I can gather it occurs on one or both feet and usually in warmer weather and gets better with rest. I have had the problem too and found that it was due to too much downward pressure usually because I cross my left leg over my right when working. This puts pressure on my right foot and in warm weather feet hold more fluid. It seems that crossing legs is the main culprit as it restricts circulation and the foots ability to get rid of the fluid. Some fluid is forced through the layers of skin in tiny bubbles of watery liquid which feel like little lumps. As the get close to skin surface they prickle and itch a little, then burst causing skin to get a little shaggy and when this dries out as it dies it can get a little sore too.
I found that by not crossing my legs under the desk, problem disappeared. That's why is one lot or the other.
My husband rides a push bike 30 kms a day and gets them on his hands. Again, pressure when riding and sweaty hands.
Hope this helps.
I have the same thing it's freaky it's only on the left foot though, I bust them to to take out the itchy puss and soak in yogurt and beer the dark beer it gives me a measure of relief then I keep my feet moisturized and dry especially between the toes and for the itching I put blue star ointment. but this is just a temporary fix I need to go to a dermatologist.!
Hey All - I had these very same blisters. Itched like crazy until opened, and only on one foot mostly during the summer.

I had to come back here and share the solution, its too easy.

The condition is called Dyshidrosis, and is a form of eczema.

First, break open any of the blisters, you dont have to peel away all of the skin, just break them open and drain the fluid. Next, Soak your foot/feet/hands in 1 part hot water and 3 parts apple cider vinegar for at least 30 minutes. I usually did it longer, just because the pain/itch was relieved when it was in the vinegar. Let your foot air dry. Do it before bed, so that your foot can stay exposed to the air for a few hours and so you don't smell like vinegar out in public. Do this once daily until it was gone.

I had this condition so bad I couldnt walk on my foot with out some pain. After using this remedy, within 12 hours I had complete relief. I only had to do the treatment 2 times, and it has never come back, not even one blister. Before this, I had them almost constantly (worse in the summer) for 3 years. If you try anything, try this.
I have these blisters too.  I will try the boro powder, the epsum salt and the white vinegar and see how that works.  Thanks for your advice.
I have a new one about twice a week, usually between my toes, which makes walking uncomfortable until I pop them. My doctor said it was dishydrosis, and told me to cut down on the vodka & tonics. Anyway, still looking for a new doctor...
This is going on with me too. I'm 25 and have had them since 16. For me, it's the right foot, but I'm left handed. I started seeing a naturopathic doctor after dozens of dermatologists couldn't help me and she's suggesting it may have something to do with our digestive system. Sometimes if our digestive systems are blocked or having a hard time (can be more irritated with stress, anxiety, etc.) the toxins will release from your foot. Usually only one foot, non dominant, and doesn't spread. I started taking herbal supplements and ill report again with progress. Best of luck everyone! I know painful it is! ***@****
Hi there is only one cream that will work on your feet, i have had them for years and the cream works you will still get them, but try it the name is Udderly Smooth udder cream.
hi
i also have this condition for about 18 years - about 5 years ago i stopped drinking coffee and suddenly it stopped. After i tried again coffee - and after few days i got it again. Since then i experimented with different drinks - and for sure i get it after drinking coffee, black tea (dont get it after green tea) and coca-cola/pepsi.
The symptoms are exactly same as most people here describe - small bubbles on sole, filled with liquid, very itching - after puncture the bubble - liquid comes out (seems sticky), but relieves itching. After it just dries out and peels off. Hope it helps someone :)
I had this off and on for over a year.  Starts with a burning sensation, turns to an itch, then just blisters a little and eventually (about 10 days) gets a glossy thick waxy skin layer that peels off.  I researched heavily and agree that it is only an "annoyance" in the doctor's viewpoint.  I went to a holistic health store and got "black ointment".  It is smelly  like an old smokehouse.  I put it on an covered with bandaides and socks for several weeks.  NO MORE problems for a year now.  Knock on wood.  It seems viral to me.  Autoimmune weakness seems to allow it to start.  When run down, it sneaks in.....  much like cold sores or cold or other virus.  
hey i did the same as you and found out that by changing my socks most of that problem went away .. this is by throughing out any and all socks that have less than 50 percent wool content .. cause those dam nylon or polyester or what not artificial materials aren't good for handling persperation and well feet have to breath .. i also got rid of the fake leather shoes and only now use real leather shoes with air holes etc as those breath naturally an since then i've only had those tiny tiny water bubbles from time to time and no longer get the flacky bloody messy situation as you have .. oh and also instead of running dry socks or my nails to scratch of the dead skin .. i use a knife and cautiously remove and shave the skin area so that it is kept very thin and that when i remember to do regularly prevent any and all occurances of these water bubbles. but i forget to do the skin shaving cleaning and so the bubbles come back from time to time grr lol    .. and all this from trail and error and constant vigilism and critical thinking and observations of patterns over years of dealing with all sorts of problems with my health. i'm just a layperson not in the health industry and it only applies to me but could work for you as well :) wishing you all the best
I discovered mine a few weeks ago. I thought was athlete's foot, which I don't anymore but I think it is some form of virus/fungal infection. I noticed mine more when I work out and have sweaty feet. I usually wash my feet soon after but it was still there. I believe it is a form of candida in the body. I am treating mine with Melaleuca/Tea tree oil and thyme essential oils. I am also doing a candida cleanse with vitamins called GX assist and PB assist. This is what has helped me get rid of it. I eat more bad food for me it gets worse. I eat healthy food it gets better. Let me know if you are interested in these oils and I'll point you in the direction to get them.
I have the same thing. I healed it on one foot already. I am working on the other. The outbreaks seem cyclical. I soak with epsom salt, baking soda, and vinegar in warm water several times a day during the beginning stage of an outbreak. After each soak, i dry my foot and apply Miracle Foot repair because it seems to help with itching. I do not rub it in fully. Instead, i wrap my foot in plastic wrap and put on a sock to keep it in place. This keeps the skin moist so that it doesn't thicken over the blisters and seems to keep it from itching. At night and first am, i apply prescription clobetasol also using the plastic wrap. It has been a week and i have new skin with fewer blisters even with an outbreak that I just had. However, at the same time, i have completely cut out sugar and flour products of any kind because it seems to exacerbate it.
Same condition. Only on one foot for several years 3 or 4 times a year. Now on both feet almost continuously. Doctor said clogged sweat pores. More getting clogged with age. (63) no solution suggested. Think I'll try pumice stone to thin the skin and maybe open up the pores. Feet don't sweat.
Thanks salsachick,  your post was the only one out of all of them that made sense, i have been wondering about "jungle rot" hearing the term in the movies about vietnam, and i thot that might be the case because i dont really have athletes foot, so i didnt think that it was that so much as it may be an infection of another sort.  
Glad it worked for you. If you haven't already, throwout or clean any socks, stockings and shoes that may have been affected. Also, I sprayed my bathroom mats with a solution of white vinegar & water and let dry outside.
That's the problem. They go away in the cold. They're pores that have a layer of dead skin over it. Feet sweat more in heat.  That's where the bump occurs. White blood cells rush to the bump to fight off any infection ... that's what clear puss is. Relative to a burn blister?
OK... I just went to my DERMATOLOGIST.... she said it was DYSHIDROTIC ECZEMA.... look it up.... see if it sounds like what you have been experiencing.... because it sounds like what I have.  She gave me ointment and it helped the itch immediately !!!!

I hope this helps you all !!!
This is something you should try. Eat no grains and no milk products just meat vegetables and limited fruits, absolutely no sugar!!. Take probiotics and L-glutamine to repair your gut. Also a yeast cleanse or an anti-candida diet will have good effect on it. This is most likely from all the toxins in your body from what you are eating, don't drink soda, alcohol, and definitely stay away from the sweets and processed foods. Eat whole foods only. When your digestive system doesn't detox enough toxins your skin will react to it in several ways. Eczema, fungal skin infections from candida, and acne are mostly caused from the toxins in your body, i went through this for 1 year until I did some research on autoimmunity and leaky gut along with skin problems. And boom within 2 months the bumps were gone and still are gone its been 10 months and not a single one. I had a slue of other health issues that have also cleared up. Most autoimmune related. Even migraines, eye floaters, anxiety, stress, all gone. Thanks to a simple low carbohydrate (no grains) and sugar-less diet all I eat is a huge variety of meat, veggies, and nuts/seeds.
Same thing here, on the left arch of my foot. I've had them a few times but popped them and they went away after a while. Two days ago I noticed them again and scratched the hell out of them last night. Tonight when I got home from work, I noticed one of them had gotten to almost the size of a dime so I popped it with a safety pin (the only thing I have access to right now) and rubbed it clean with a baby wipe, put tripple antibiotic ointment on it and covered with a sock (I have no bandaids) because I don't want it to somehow spread to my almost 2 year old daughter somehow. I have no insurance and just started working again and because of the work I do at the IRS I have to wear shoes. I've been wearing flip flops daily for months and just started wearing my Nike shocks again Monday July 16th and its now Fri the 19th. Has anyone found anything out???? I can't afford to pay out of pocket for a Dr let alone a foot/skin specialist. Please help!!!!!
I have the same thing!  Use BENADRYL CREAM on blisters that are popped and not popped!!!
I have had the same problem for several years.  I added lots of fresh fruit and veg to my diet.  Also drink a glass of pure water with one teaspoon of baking soda stirred in once a day.  Start the day off with a tablespoon of unpasteurized apple vinegar in warm water.  These alkalanize your system and go a long way toward healing.  An apple vinegar and cold water soak for your entire body and hair will get rid of dandruff, athlete's foot and other fungi.
I have had this same problem for about a year. I have had athletes feet for years. I kept treating it with Antifungal Creams and it would go away. For the last past year I have been getting blisters on my toes, soles and sides of my feet. It has also got infected a few times. A few months ago I I decided to pop the blisters and put a prescription Anti Fungal Medicine that I had and it worked but they came back as soon as the medicine ran out. I am now taking an Oral Antifungal Pill. I would like to know if your Blisters Cleared up? and How long did it take for the Oral Antifungal Pills to work? I have been taking them for 2 days and no change.
My questions are for salsachick
I took the anti-fungal pills for the full course as prescribed by the doctor. In addition, if you still have fluid filled blisters, there is a powder you can get at the pharmacy to put in water and soak the foot, it may be boron or borax powder. This is used only for soaking the affected area, it should help in drying out the blisters, only needed to do this for a couple of days. Then my doctor told me to also use the Rx strength of the anti-fungal cream to help externally. I also used to soak it in a white vinegar, or apple cider vinegar / water solution at night before sleeping, it really helped with the itching and allowed me to sleep. Hope it helps.
Thanks for the input, do you happen to remember the name of the oral antifungal pills the doctor prescribed you?
Sorry forgot to add this question do you happen to remember the name of the prescription cream he prescribed you also? Thanks
I'm a Westerner with not enough sleep!
Same itchy blisters on left foot!
its athletes foot, i had the same for ages on 1 foot,,use mycota spray for athletes foot and it went after a few applications,,,soo glad!
doctors dont know their arse from their elbow. its athletes foot,,,its a wonder they didnt give you some dangerous injection loaded with god knows what....stay away from the quacks...spray with mycota spray for athletes foot and it will go after only a few applications,,,,doctors prescribe what can make money for big pharma and are not trying to get you better
the athletes foot fungus attacks your skin and nails, it makes skin thick and blocks sweat pores making blisters, nails can go yellow and furrowed with lines in them, have long baths 1 to 2 hours and scratch thick skin immediately after bath or pumice them, then spray with mycota spray morning and night and more skin will come off after a few applications, i used to get new blisters daily and since treatment with mycota not 1 blister in months, and my nails are looking a lot better too and no thick skin anymore. i know ive replied a few times but it annoys me that something so straightforward is baffling doctors and people are paying money for their incompetance
During my ordeal I had it so bad that I went to the emergency room. The doctor there, as well as my primary, both said it could be DE. I don't know about you, but I have never had eczema, or any other skin problems. It sounded like a cop-out of a diagnosis. Since then, I quit that primary doctor and the podiatrists as well! All they had to do was take a culture to diagnose properly, but they did not want a patient telling them how to do their job.
thats what it can look like i suppose ,, i was getting ,lots of tiny bubbles in places,, and they would join up if left, i used to pop straight away and take top off so wouldnt fill up again,they dry out but more come,,,,
seriously i used the mycota spray 3-4 days morning and night, and they all vanished, i havent sprayed for over a month and not 1 blister. i was amazed and my dad had been saying to use it for months as he had athletes foot once, and this is the same spray can he bought years ago
its yeast too much of it.

symptoms: small blisters on feet and hands, when popped a clear sticky liquid. sometimes a little itchy

cut out all bread beer and anything with yeast, try some citrus fruits to combat the problem.
It's called Dyshidrosis.You can find it online. there are several treatment options available, mostly by prescription. However if you can find Potassium Permaganate "Pot perm" at a swimming pol supply you can use that to treat.also known as"pot ash" used in swimming pool filters..Its getting hard to find and has been replaced by DE Dyatamasthis earth. The POt Ash needs to be diluted in water. I have had it for several years and am getting it under control. its caused by certain allergys (allergies) or stress.I have already ruled out the allergys (allergies) through process of elimination. Stress seems to be my thing.
Sorry for the delayed response. I do not have the meds anymore. Both the oral and cream that were prescribed we're anti-fungals. I hope you are all cured by now.

Just an update on my condition: no recurrence at all. I continue to ensure wearing clean socks and spray the feet with a white vinegar / water solution when I shower every day.
Wow, exactly what I/we have.
Started over 27 YEARS ago. My boyfriend (then) had it on his feet. I got it must be his shower pan, I did not wear his socks or shoes. Broke up, moved back home, my brother gets it on his feet...... must be the shower pan FROM ME!! Yikes, Mom disinfects the shower pan all the time to prevent the rest of the family from getting it. It seems to be working!!
Fast forward to my own family! Obviously I am not keeping up on the disinfecting like my mother did because my husband (married now 23 years) has had it on his feet for about 20yrs.

Quick Moral: buy/rent a new place? Disinfect shower pan as past occupants may have had this highly contagious problem!!!!!

My son has it on his feet. My daughter does NOT. Common finding of the 3 of us vs. daughter. OUR FEET SWEAT, GET HOT IN SHOES. Hers do not.
My son tends to let the blisters go until they are really bad (he is 10) and does not like me poking the bumps with a needle to drain. When I finally do they are huge and he does not keep a band aid on the wound. It gets on his socks! I think the socks are then forever a carrier of the problem???       I get rid of his socks after the summer and buy him all new ones!! Did I mention he is 10. LOL.....My daughter is much better with her foot hygiene than the boys.

Anyway I have found that using disinfectant on your hands/under your nails after the "liquid" touched your fingers or nails is crucial too as I have had it spread to my face.

I, due to stresses am always touching my face so this must be how they got on my face. Otherwise it is feet only.

We have always been located in Northern California.

I will keep checking back to see if anyone has had any medical success.
DeAnna
Wow, lots of similarities! Look in this thread for my earlies posts for therapy. I keep a spray bottle with 1 part regular white vinegar and 3 parts water in the shower, spray feet when showering. You can soak the affected foot in this too, provides lots of relief. But if it gets really bad, you may need to get prescription strength oral anti-fungal medicine.
LOL - the blisters are the symptom, not the disease.  It's a similar symptom for many problems - just like a headache can be a symptom of a cold, flu, concussion, chicken pox or a fractured skull.  There's not one one-size-fits-all treatement either.  

My blisters are from psoriasis, whereas my son has sweaty feet and athletes foot fungal infection - and tea-tree oil fixes his blisters.  My nephew has DE and also gets blisters on his feet.  

I know mine are not from a fungal infection as I had a dermatologist test the fluid and a skin scraping.  

So, if your immune system is down, if you're sleep deprived, if you have sweaty feet, DE or psoriasis different treatments will alleviate your symptom - blisters
I've been having this same issue with the water type of blister on my left foot for years and I noticed that it seems to happen if my foot sweats so I came up with this crazy idea to apply deodorant to the area of my foot.  I've been doing this for years and I no longer have the problem because that area of my foot stays dry.  If I slack and don't apply the deodorant then I start having the issue again.  I believe this issue for me may be related to having a wart X-rayed off at the doctors office when I was a kid.  It may have affected the cells in that area of my foot but I'm not for sure.  Please try the deodorant it works for me 100% of the time and I just had to share this with those suffering because I know your frustration.  Blessings to you!
Well, this blisters  seems to be a common problem for all of us, don't know in your cases but in my case I surprisingly found the cause of it : my feet are free of blister until I have some excess of soda, canned or bottled drinks or acid drinks, I know it sounds crazy, but  I put it on test and  it worked. So since then I been controlling the amount of  soda and  canned or bottled drinks as well as acid drinks that I take. Also something that helped after popping blisters was  to wear sandals, this will help to dry skin faster, still will need to peel a bitb after dry tho.

Also I was told by a foreign doctorn that it could be an excess of boric acid in the body or an excess of vitamin c, what explains the bottled drinks and acids reaction I guess,  I was also recommended that wearing silver jewelry will control boric acid.  Don't know if is the decrease of these drinks or the jewelry, but since then is been long time without these itchy blisters, hope can be helpful,  perhaps every case it could be different,  thanks

Sorry for wrong spelling above,  I mean  uric acid  instead of boric acid, thanks
Wow....I'm amazed so many have similar problems!  I have had these strange blisters on my left foot (under the arch - toward the inside of my foot, never the outer side), I've had them for probably 15 years.  They come and go with no apparent pattern.  Happens in the summer, winter, shoes and socks, sandals, different soap, etc.  They itch like crazy!!!!!!  They don't burst on their own though.  If I can refrain from scratching them so hard that I scratch them open, they just gradually fade away.  It's always in the same spot, never had happened on any other part of my body or to anyone else in my family!  When I've been in to the doctor, it's always after they are mostly healed up or dried out and the doctor just looks at me weird (never been to a dermatologist).  It can be one outbreak and then be nothing for months, or it could be two in a row....or nothing for over a year!  I am now on meds that lower my immune system, but this has been happening for MANY MANY years before I started the medications.
NO NEED TO PANIC, this is "Vesicular Athlete's Foot" a quite common fungal infection and in most cases easily treatable without the need to visit a doctor.
Treatment - Keep feet clean and dry and treat 2 or 3 times a day with a good Athlete's Foot powder. If you have suffered with this before it will probably return so as a precautionary measure regularly treat shoes and trainers with anti fungal powder.