Recurring Bowenoid Papulosis?

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Recurring Bowenoid Papulosis?

About a year ago I had a dermatologist look at some tiny spots on my genitals. There were two on my body near where my penis meets my body and one on the middle of the shaft. The two near my body had been there for over two years and the one on the shaft had been there a little over a year. They didn't seem to change at all but didn't go away. They weren't painful either. He did a biopsy on one of the ones near the base and told me they were pre-cancerous lesions called "bowenoid papulosis". He froze them off and the two near the base went away for good.

The problem is the one on the shaft keeps on coming back! I go to him every few months and I think I've had it frozen off 5 times now in about a year. He doesn't seem to concerned and said this is normal and not contagious either. I want to know if it is ever going to go away. It's painful to have it frozen and it takes a week or two to heal every time. Once it looked like it was gone for good and he only put a little salicyclic acid on it, but sure enough last time he said it looked a little raised and froze it again. I can't even see anything there anymore. Just what looks like a little scar tissue. Is there any other treatment that will work or am I stuck having my penis frozen ever 2-3 months for the rest of my life?
Bowenoid papulosis presents as single small, red, brown or flesh-coloured spots on the penis which may be flat and may initially be symptomless but then turn painful. The diagnosis is usually made by skin biopsy and is a pre-cancerous skin condition.

Usually treatment is often unnecessary. Lesions should be re-examined every 3 to 6 months so that any changes may be picked up early. Then treatment is the same as for genital warts. This is usually destruction of the lesions via several medical and/or surgical procedures. This includes several medications(like podophyllum resin, Podofilox (Condylox), Trichloroacetic and bichloroacetic acids, Imiquimod 5% cream and interferons) which can be applied directly to the surface.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.