Recurring Rash - Unknown Source

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Recurring Rash - Unknown Source

About two years ago, I experienced a strange rash for the first time in my life - it was a raised, itchy rash (not red, no pus) that first affected my lower legs and arms.  I had not changed anything in my diet or routine (laundry detergent, soaps, moisturizers, etc.).  This first experience with the rash was the worst, possibly because I let it get out of control, but with some time (a couple of weeks) and treatment with calamine lotion, it went away.  My doctor suspected that it was viral in nature, but had no real suggestions other than to treat it with calamine lotion.

Since then, I have had the rash about four more times, but each time it seems to progress to different parts of my body and affects me symmetrically (e.g., both legs or both arms are affected - never just one).  It also seems to move upward - it affected my lower legs and lower arms first, the next time it progressed to my upper arms, upper legs and shoulders, the next time it progressed to my chest and neck, the next time to my neck and face...  The only areas that it seems to skip are my abdomen and back.

I have the rash again now - it is affecting my chest and neck.  I am treating it with calamine lotion, and hope (like with prior instances) it will be gone in a few days.  I just have no idea what might be causing this and why it seems to randomly appear.  I am not sure if it is tends to recur when I am stressed, or when the weather is warmer, or what.  I do know that the rash does not appear "regularly", in that more than a year has passed since the last time that I experienced it.

Do you have any experience with recurring rashes of a similar nature?  If so and you can suggest resources that I can pursue, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you,

LAT