Recurring Rash on Arm

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Recurring Rash on Arm

I have a rash that first appeared on my arm about 5 years ago when I moved from a dry climate to a very humid one.  The rash comes and goes, and generally appears on the antecubital fossa of my right arm.  It has been difficult to have it looked at, because it has often disappeared by the time I can get an appointment.

At one time I had a PA tell me it was ringworm based soley on appearance, but I have seen ringworm and it doesn't look like it at all.  The rash starts out as small bumps that sometimes become blister-like, ooze and then scab over.  It itches intensely, and often burns or is very sensitive to the touch.  Because it always seems to show up in the same general area, I am a little concerned that it could be shingles (I am only in my 30s, but had a shingles-like spot along a nerve in my back some years ago).  This year it has seem to spread to include the area from my antecubital fossa to my wrist.

Over the counter anti-itch, anti-inflammatory creams don't help much.  What should I do?  I am a military dependent, so my healthcare provider is always changing, and it's difficult to see a dermatologist on short notice.  Other than the fact it usually shows up in warmer, humid weather (although not always), I can't think of anything else that I come in contact with immediately before.  It is unsightly, uncomfortable, and I have recently noticed that it seems to be scarring the area slightly.

Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated.  I apologize that I can't upload a picture at this time.

Nothing can be said with surety without having a look at the lesions.

This could be an allergic reaction to some unknown substance or dermatitis or eczema or some bacterial skin infection.

Are you on any medications?

Do you take a healthy balanced diet? It would help to take vitamin and mineral supplements to replace any deficiencies - which could cause these symptoms. Keep the areas well moisturised.

You need to wash the areas several times with fresh water. Do not use any cosmetic products at the sites.

Apply calamine lotion at the site of the lesions and see if it helps. You could take some oral antihistamine medications like cetrizine or loratadine.

It would be advisable to consult a skin specialist for your symptoms and a proper clinical examination.

Let us know if you need any other information and post us on how you are doing.

Regards.