Recurring infection on buttocks

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Recurring infection on buttocks

I have had a recurring infection on my left butt cheek for the last four years. They start the size of a pimple and as it grows more than one pus-filled bumps will form around it. Usually these last for about one to two weeks. They are always on my left butt cheek.

I was treated with antibiotic (Ciprofloxacn) during the last occurrence and it seemed it took just as long as the last untreated occurrence. Found out it may be herpes simplex, a yeast infection or shingles. Any other suggestions?

Your symptoms are suggestive of boils on the buttock. A boil, also referred to as a skin abscess, is a localized infection deep in the skin. A boil generally starts as a reddened, tender area. Over time, the area becomes firm and hard. Eventually, the center of the abscess softens and becomes filled with pus. Finally, the pus "forms a head," which can be surgically opened or spontaneously drain out through the surface of the skin.

Boil on buttocks is usually due to plugged sweat glands that become infected or by an ingrown hair.

Apply warm compresses on the boil and keep the area clean.Drainage of the boil is done only when it becomes soft and forms a head.Take some over the counter pain reliever and consult a doctor for examination and antibiotics prescription.If there are recurrent boils,then pls get your blood sugar levels estimated.

Hope it helps.Take care and pls do keep us posted if you have any additional queries.