Recurring redness around lips
About 2 months ago, I went to visit my physician regarding a problem I had with a ring of redness around my lips - more prominent on my bottom lip - it was a lighter, tender pink shade and kind of looked like I had been drinking lots of red kool-aid. I also had constant dry, cracked and bleeding lips, and tried everything from drinking plenty of water and making sure I wasn't licking them. I didn't have any other visual symptoms, but I did have a combination of a burning/numbness feeling on my lips.

The doctors did some bloodwork to check my vitamin levels which all came back fine and instructed me to try an OTC cream like Abreva, as they thought it might be a cold sore (which I never had in the past either). Two weeks later, I scheduled a follow up appointment, as the redness and severe chapping was still there.

The second time, they prescribed an Acylovir tablet and Zovirax cream for oral herpes. All this seemed to do was irritate my entire mouth. My lips swelled up and felt like they were shot up with novicaine. After the 10 day period of using the medication, I noticed the chapness went away, but the bright red ring around my lips is still there. Some days it's more prominent than others and my lips tend to dry out now and then, but I'm trying to avoid putting any sort of ointment/chapstick on them in the event that something coming in contact with the lips is irritating them further.

I've included a recent photo (not the best quality) that shows my bottom lip and my lip line is no longer definitive. I have set up an appointment with a dermatologist a few weeks from now, but I'm still trying to get some clarity on what might be causing this. I've had people suggest everything from a fungal/bacterial infection, cold sores/oral herpes, allergies, vitamin deficiencies, etc. Nothing in my daily activities has really changed for the past several years, so I'm concerned about the sudden onset, and how this problem has persisted for almost 2 months now.

Has anyone else experienced something like this?
Firstly, It can be due to vitamin B deficiency. Take some vitamin B complex for some days and see if your symptoms improve.
Secondly, it can be due to atopic dermatitis or eczema("Atopic" refers to a group of diseases where there is often an inherited tendency to develop other allergic conditions, such as asthma and hay fever). Cheilitis (Inflammation of the skin on and around the lips) is often seen in atopic dermatitis. Diagnosed by blood test like RAST. Treatment is by topical steroids or oral therapy of corticosteroids in severe cases. Topical creams like tacrolimus ointment (Protopic) and pimecrolimus cream (Elidel) are also useful.
If the symptoms persist then please consult a dermatologist.

I hope it helps. Take care and please do keep me posted in case you have any additional doubts. Kind regards.
I have this same exact problem. My doctor prescribed me numerous creams and ointments, none of them worked. He said it was lip licker's dermatitis. -lve had it for almost 6 months already. Did you happen to find out what it is? Keep me informed.
I have the same exact problem but its effect on my mouth was worser than the picture of your mouth you showed.  I stopped using lip balm during the day but soothes my lips lightly with Eucerin Aquaphor before I go to bed at night to help exfoliate dead skin and help restore moisture.  

My dermatolgist don't know what to tell me either.  I am at a point in my life where I wish there is no summer at all because the symptoms are at its worst when the temperature gets too warm I can't even take a walk during the day.

If at this point, you have found the magic wand that can cure this bad spell, please drop some line again.
Same exact problem here. It seems that no dermatologists even know what the problem is.
Do you smoke? Becuase I smoke, and I might be thinking smoking could be an irrtant to it, causing the redness.
I have been a  non smoker for just over a year now. In all the years that I have been smoking, I've never had problems with chapped lips or irritation around my mouth. My doctor and my specialists still haven't found a medication that can treat this...thing. In the 6+ months I've been dealing with it, it hasn't gotten any worse, but it's not getting any better either.

My dermatologist prescribed some Desonide ointment which seems to help the physical irritation the most, but just like vaseline, it's just slathered on my lips to mask the symptoms and not actually treating the problem.

My physician still insists it's something related to a herpes virus... unfortuntately I can't keep afford any more of these types of medication (Zovirax, Valtrex, etc...) because they're CRAZY expensive.

I've done a little more research and it seems that a few people that have had similar symptoms were put on antibiotics with moderate success. I think I might try to go that route just to see if things get any better. It can't hurt, considering I've tried EVERYTHING else.

I've also tried to go cold turkey and just not put anything on my lips, but the longest I can go is about 3 days and in that time, they crack so badly that I can't even move my mouth to talk or eat.

Found anything that works? Or even some insight as to what might be the cause of the problem? I've already ruled out vitamin deficiency and allergies (the common troublemakers of chapped lips) Keep me posted on any updates.
do u have herpes? i do. i tried so many things. its very frustrating.im at the point where im extremly self concoius with people cuz i feel there always staring at my lips. let me know if u find out anything about it, or if anything helps.
I am wondering if you ever found the solution to the "redness around the lips especially the lower one".  I have come down with the almost exact same thing about a month ago or so and am just now trying to find an answer.  Your original post sound identical to what I have.  But I see that these posts were from a year ago or more. Any news?
has anyone found anything to help. HELP!!!!!
I have the same problem. Never had them before. Flared up all of a sudden accompanied with dry and chipping lips. No, I don't lick my lips neither do I smoke nor drink nor did anything different or ate anything different that would have caused this. It came out of the blue!

I was given a cream which I applied and which helped get rid of the pink ring (inflammation). But, I applied the cream just once a day at night. However, the moment I stopped applying the cream, the redness returns within days.

Please don't tell me I have to use this cream forever.
What was the name of the cream that worked?
GOT THE ANSWER!!!   angular cheilitis. both of my children,  and later I was having the same problem. went to a local walk in clinic to get in somewhere quickly and without hesitation he told me take vitamin B and it should clear right up. Went home and gave it to my kids as well, it was gone in 2-3 days for all of us!! My kids and I all take B12 as soon as the weather gets cool and our lips show the slightest indication of a ring and it nips it in the bud. You may ask your Dr to recommend a dose but I believe I usually take 2/day for a few days of the 500mcg over the counter B12. (the b complex has a much lower amt of the B12 as I recall). Best of luck!
I was just googling to find out the name of it as I forgot. It is called angular cheilitis. Once it progresses to cracked corners, they can hold saliva in them and it seems that is where it can grow a fungus which can spread. (as some people are posting) .  The vitamin B therapy has worked for us for about 3 years now! After reading what everyone has gone through to find an answer, I am REALLY thankful for the Doc at the walk in clinic!!  When you google it may say it begins with lip licking and none of us thought we did that either, but the site I read said some people do it in their sleep (or esp older folks...drool).
I have it right now.  Have had it for 2 months and it is driving me nuts.  The MD put me on an anti-viral yesterday.  My Husband is on the way to the store for B12.  I will let you know if it works.
I get sudden, and I mean sudden, discoloration below my lower lip about once every 2-3 years.  One minute everythings fine, and the nest is a one inch by 1/4 inch dark reddish brown patch below my lower lip.  

There are no other problems such as chapped lips, soreness or the like, just the discoloration.  It seems like the problem only takes seconds to materilaize.

I've asked my family doctor about it and he has no idea what or why.  It goes away in a week or so and the only problem is the cosmetic one.

I could post a photo, but I don't know how.
TRY CANESTEN cream, i also has that,  i had an itchy down there,then i used canesten cream and it's going better, i suspect, i had my lips infected when right after i apply cream on my penis, i grab a cigarette,maybe it had contaminated and had contact in my lips.

Also try to crushed a garlic and apply it to your lips.it is anti fungal
I've had the same problem, usually proceeded by my lips swelling, but not always for the past 2 years.  It would just happen lasting a few days or weeks then go away sometimes for several months just to suddenly happen again.  My doctor said it had to be an allergic reaction, but I don't think it is because careful note of what I have eaten has not produced any pattern.  Now my lips haven't swelled up in a while, but have been read and chapped for several weeks.  Looking for an answer
I've had the exact same problem going on two years except tiny little white bumps in my lips that never come out,been to the doctor and she agreed it wasn't herpes but has no idea what it is
What was the cream?
We're they bad in the summer as well that's when I feel it's the worst.   I'm definetely going to try the b12 vitamins,,..
Regarding the redness surrounding lips, I have had the same issue starting last December (2013).  How did the vitamin B12 therapy work for you?  I haven't tried it yet.  Thank you Rick
I have the same issues as the original poster. Finally after 2 embarrassing months of a red mouth/chapped peeling lips & trying every cream under the sun I went to a dermatologist. She said it is perioral contact dermatitis. Not sure what caused/triggered it. I was down the shore and maybe got a sunburn when it started so that might have been the trigger. I have fair skin. She prescribed Desonide ointment (topical corticosteroid) to be used 3x/day on lips & around mouth for 1 week. Then 2x/day for the 2nd week then stop. If I am still having issues after that she will do a "patch test" on my back to zero in on what I may be allergic to. After that, I may go on Prednisone. Also, she said to use basic toothpaste...not tartar control or whitening. She suggested Tom's Natural brand. And just use very mild soap (Dove or Cetaphil) to gently clean the face. If I need something in between the Desonide applications, she said to use only Vaseline...nothing else! I think jumping from cream to cream/ointment to ointment didn't help the situation. I'll post again in a few weeks with any updates on my condition. Hope this helps others!!
Did the Desonide work?
Perioral Contact Dermatitis is nothing like what is being described by everyone on here.  No bumps and limited to small area around lips - very different.
Definitely Angular Cheilitis.

I just had a patch test done and I am allergic to propolis (bee's wax). It is in everything from lip balm and cosmetics to antibiotics. You have to read everything, and NO HONEY either.

So far, so good. Also allergic to formaldehyde.

Angela
My Dermatologist told me the same crap.......He said it's from licking ur lips too much. First off the creams don't work on the cuts on the corner of your mouth.  They only work on your lips if there swollen or if u have tiny skin bumps around ur mouth. To get rid of the cuts I was putting A&D ointment on them which worked for a little while but the cuts never fully healed or closed. You have to use either Peroxide or alcohol on the cuts and let them just heal up and dry out. I used Q-tips to put either of them around my lips where I had the cuts at. Two or three time s a day and especially at night when ur goin to be sleeping is the best way to get results. And I also was taking Vitamin B-12 don't know if that was really helpin or not but I took anyway just in case. Just be careful not to get too close to ur mouth u don't want to accidentally get either one inside ur mouth.
What was the result of your  "patch test" ?

In 4/2014 I had red swollen lips & a bit of red around the mouth. Tried all the ointments, creams, antibiotics, prednisone, cortisone, viral, etc. Nothing helped; it just finally faded away.

1/2015, the same red lips reoccurred with a larger red surrounding the mouth, which began extending up to the nose & down to the chin. Then, a 1-1/2" red stripe appeared on the front of my neck and blotchy chest. Also, my sinuses became totally blocked & the only way I could breath was to sniff & spit out mucus ( Sorry for disgusting description.)  After all that, it started to disappearing,

I woke up one morning & it was all back in red living color. I freaked! Of course by the time I went to the allergist & dermatologist, it faded. They do not know cause or remedy.

I'm sending dermatologist a copy of a number of  people's posts.  I'll try the B12 & see. Has anyone had the red neck & chest in addition to the lips or sinus problems?

I'm sending dermatologist a copy of your comments.  I'll try the B12 & see. Has anyone had the neck & chest or sinus problems?

I'm sending dermatologist a copy of a number of people's posts.  I'll try the B12 & see.

Has anyone had the red neck & chest in addition to the lips or sinus problems?
Hi , I really have a problem with my lower lip for 2 years now. its partly red but I don't drink, no smoking, not HIV positive end have tried several medication as prescribed by the doctors but only in vein. please can you help me on this because I don't understand what the problem is
Hi.

I have the exact same problem you've described.

Sudden onset of:

Swollen Lips

Red Patches on Lips, Extending to Exterior Area

Severely Itchy

Cracks at Corners of Mouth

Discoloration of Lips in which they become Lighter in Color around the Red Patches

No Sores in Mouth

No Sore Throat

Consistently Dry Feeling - as though nothing (literally) can be absorbed by my lips

Red Ring Surrounding Edges of Lips

I don't know what to do. This happened very suddenly, without any changes in lifestyle. I do not smoke, do not drink, and have not changed anything I've done, on a regular basis, for at least several years.

I'm embarassed to be seen in public and so far, nothing I have tried has worked.

I will try B12 and post.
Did the B12 work?
Thank YOU!!
im going through the same thing.. I am 31 never had this problem before but just woke up and my lips were so chapped. It was uncomfortable but I cant for the life of me figure out what the hell it is! lol.. meanwhile I have a new boyfriend who is going to shun me probably.. JK but it is embarrassing. I went to the dr. and she gave me edinol cream? said that should knock  it out, but it was 300$ .. I luckily found a coupon online so I got it for 35$.. just started that but I read some home remedies that worked for me kinda. Listerine worked. it knocks out the bacteria. it stings at first but my lips weren't chapped this morning. just shows the red marks where I have been picking or irritated. I got vitamin d pills too bc someone said it could be vitamin d deficiency. my dr. said dry Benadryl at night too.. I feel like I did NOT get a definitive answer at the dr. so im just trying all these different things. Guess Ill stock up on vitamin b 12 too.. but also noticed someone saying could be allergic reaction to b12.. I drink those energy drinks with b12 in them. (the starbucks refreshers etc) hope im not allergic to that now. MAKE THIS LIP GO AWAY!
This is interesting.  For 2 1/2 years now I have had this issue.  It comes and goes.  For a while it was gone for about 6 weeks and then would come back for about 2 weeks.  The current bout I have had for about a month and it has not gone away.  I have asked FOUR doctors (2 were dermatologists) about it, but was told I had chapped lips.  Most recent doctor told me to try more magnesium in my diet.  I tried that and nothing seems to be changing.  I have also tried antibiotic and anti fugal cream to no avail.  The only comforting thing is that others have this as well--if that can be deemed to be comforting.  I am going to try the B12 next.
I just started having this problem.  I believe stress among other things contributed.  Anyway, two months of hell.  A good friend recommended using coconut oil.  LIFESAVER!
I've stopped all unnecessary drugs and supplements, and use extra virgin organic coconut oil on my lips.  Heaven!  I would recommend oil pulling for those with  inner mouth awfulness going on.  
I am having very similar issues.  I have been to my Doctor, now to a dermatologist three times.  First she took a culture for fungal, and that one has not come back yet.  Next she took a bacterial culture and that was negative.  All the creams she has given me to try, just burn or they just do nothing.   I have a pink line around bottom lip, and it does not itch, but burns.  I woke up this morning and the inside of my mouth is swollen from the corner going towards center of bottom lip.  I was just beginning to think I was crazy.  My doctor also has taken test for vitamin deficiency.  No go.  I just want them to find out what is causing this.
It is at least comforting to know that I am not the only one who feels exactly this way.  I have been experiencing the same symptoms for a couple years. My lips are read, the burn, feel dry, peel, crack in the corners, no visible sore, but visibily red and bothersome. Its so embarrassing when working with the public and with coworkers. I have been considering trying for FMLA for this issue since it serisouly effects how I interact with other people. I'm not sure what to do I have been to dermatologist, and all sorts of doctors and there has not been any real correction yet. Hopefully we can find something that works. Ill try some coconut oil today and for a couple days, keep ya updated.
I have the same problem as yours, with red neck stripe. But no sinus and blotchy chest. Have dry throat in the morning.

I have noticed that, it occurs to me after extended sun exposure.

Coconut oil seems to help with the dryness. Haven't tried b12 yet.

Did u find any solutions yet???  Pls let me know if u found any.
I have had all the same problems that everyone of you described.  I realized it is caused by gluten/wheat!  I have NEVER had a gluten/wheat issue before.  I have always been able to eat anything, until the age of 46.  What a friend of mine who works in the health field and also studies natural medicine, said gluten builds up in you.  Once I was completely off Gluten for two weeks, then I started to notice a difference.  But, it takes a full 2-3+ weeks before it is gone.  My doctor has me on a strong dose of B vitamins to try to help rebuild my stomach.  I have not noticed a difference yet.  Another friend has the same issue...and she confirmed for me it is gluten!
I agree, for me it's definitely a food allergy issue. I have had this issue for a couple of years now, and have found out it's due to a number of food allergies, of which wheat, rice, and other grains cause the worst reactions, but also beans, legumes, and nightshades. I suggest reading the book "Why Isn't My Brain Working?" by Datis Kharrazian. It discusses the effects of these foods on the gut and the likely unseen effects that these allergies have had on your digestive, nervous, and endocrine systems in addition to the outward symptoms of the redness around the lips, especially the lower one. But yeah, definitely try an elimination diet and then start introducing foods back in one at a time and see which ones cause a reaction and which don't. That is literally the only long-term solution, the creams just treat the symptoms. At least, that's been my experience. Hope this helps!
Also, what I have and what your original post describes are something different from angular cheilitis.
Hey guys,I got this problem a year back when I went to a cold country, swollen lips and all, but upon returning to my country it was cured. However, I recently got this problem for the 2nd time. Living in a tropical country, i went to a cold country for holiday, licked my itchy lips there, came back with swollen lips. Upon visiting a dermatologist and taking Betamethasone 0.025% ointment, the swelling was gone, but its been a month now and I still have this slight extra redness above n below my lips, making my lips seem thicker than usual. My friends commented that it looks like i applied clumsy lipstick. So does extra virgin coconut oil or Vitamin B12 works or will it disappear on its own?
Also to add on, my lips is look exactly like OP. The lips seem thicker and the lip lines are not defined
i have this too~ all the advice, opinions. creams, no cream, no sugar in the diet etc etc...
the only thing that ive found that i can not do without is
pure lanolin. what nursing mama's put on their raw nipples.

otherwise, im at a loss at why this keeps happening and hope we will all find and answer soon.

I have the same issue. It started in March 2015. Went to 3 different dermatologists. Given 3 different ointments that are steroid/ anti-inflammatory.  Also tried anti fungal prior to going to the dr. It went away when the weather got warmer. It came back again late summer and left in the fall. It's back again now and I have taken the b12 for two days now and there is some relief.... Coincidence??? Maybe this is really the cure. I hope! This has been driving me crazy and I see I'm not the only one.
I have had this for 8 months, 4 months non stop. My Primary Doc told me no makeup or lip sticks. She gave me a an ointment Triamcinolone Acetonide cream.  Has not done a thing, I finally made appointment with Dermatologist. I have always worn lip sticks, balms, since my 20's (I'm 60 now). I take by injection B12 2000 MCG 1 time a month, also a prescription Vitamin D. I have had a vitamin deficiency for some time. I had a Gastric Bypass in 2003, Dr.'s blame that. I can not take it anymore, it is not easily visible to anyone since I don't let it get out of control like I did when it came the first time than went away, it cracked flacked crusty, gross!
What kind of cream you just used?? @drill255
It's kidneys.I have it.Stop drinking caffeine and alcohol and less sugar.Also try eating less gluten.Eat ginger with foods or in tea.It will cleanse your blood along with garlic. Also their both filled with irreplaceable toxin,bad particle,bacteria and virus fighting nutrients.Drink lemon with drinks and just plain lemon water.And Less salt in your diet.Eat like the earth was meant to be eaten.Drink spring water like Evian and FigI.Not filtered water or sink water.It has chlorine fluoride and bromine.All toxins.You'll see how beautiful and healthy you'll look and feel.