Recurring water blisters; top of forearm

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

When these first occurred I though I had scratched myself in my sleep. Two areas with the top layer of skin appeared over a couple of days on the top of my left forearm. I treated with over-the-counter antibiotic creme and the 'wounds' healed.

About 1-1 1/2 months layer, in what appears to be the same location on the arm, I showered and found the wounds in one area again. Again I thought scratching. The next day, the second wound area again showed up. It is 3/16" in diameter and adjacent to it is a small blister @ 1/16" in diameter. It appears at another adjacent point a similar small blister is appearing.

The areas don't itch or hurt. The scabs that develop are not red and crusty like a cut. There really isn't much of a scab that develops. Once the skin breaks, there's a little clear discharge that dries up in a day or so.

Any ideas what this could be?
Tags: irritable
Avatar_dr_f_tn

I have some differentials: This may be an eczema, a bacterial infection (staphylococcal), a fungal infection.

Scratching the area may actually cause minor abrasions on the skin due to the irritation.The cuts on the skin may give certain organisms a chance to invade the skin and cause infections. A staphylococcal infection may present as clear vesicles ( blisters with clear fluid ) which may burst.In cases of a dermatitis, the area may be itchy and small vesicles may appear. Scratching the area may cause excoriations.The area may eventually weep (become wet) as typical of eczematous disease.As for fungal infections,the area may be reddish , and itchy.It may present with a sharp red border and may scale.

Do you have any of these?
The area isn't itchy. No sharp red border. No scale.
Weeps for only a short period, then scales over.
The area looked like a scratch at first, but then with the later wound, it looks like blisters form and break, creating the wound.

The staphylococcal infection and dermatitis sound closest. Is it possible to be reinfected in the same area of skin after months? Would this occur (blistering) if the skin is really dry? I live in an arid, cold/cool climate (Denver, CO) and it results in very dry skin. I seldom apply lotion.

Avatar_dr_f_tn

Yes, dermatitis is a chronic skin condition and there are several types. If your skin has a propensity for being dry,then xerotic dermatitis may be a differential.Dryness of the skin as well as exposure to certain substances or chemicals that one may be reactive to may present as itchiness resulting from the dryness.

Cold weather may lead to dry skin which may be susceptible to minor irritations .This  may cause constant scratching of the area which may lead to  concomitant bacterial infections.
I have the same, small little blisters, they usually become intense after an 8-mile run.  Itchy! I had it on the same spot of both forearms, but now is only on one arm.  I wonder what it is and how I can prevent it.  I will go see the doctor in two days, but by then they will probably be gone.
Sounds like pompholyx.  Take a look at the following link which has both sample images and text description of symtoms (symptoms), cause and treatment.

It was driving me crazy for years that these things would crop up for no reason.  Especially on the sides of my fingers on on my palm.  Painful and sensitive to touch usually.  I would occasionally get them on the top of my forearm, behind the calf or around my ankles. Though much less frequently.

Luckily it's never been severe, and I only get a few at a time.  Once I finally found the right diagnosis, the common denominator I found was stress - physical and/or emotional.  I could correlate the occurances with times of extreme work stress.

Now I'm more able to watch for it, understand, and deal with it.  Check out that link above, it may help.  Good luck!
Sorry, forgot the link in the previous post.  Here it is...
http://dermnetnz.org/dermatitis/pompholyx.html