Red, Leathery Skin
Recently, a friend came to me with a few symptoms. These included: a sudden break out on the back of her neck. The skin on the back on her neck was leathery, red, and was burning. She claims this is the first time this has happened. The only allergies she has is watermelon and milk, which she has not had recently. I first asked about vitamin deficiencies, but she is eating healthy. Can anyone help?
I cannot confirm anything without examination but it can be irritant contact dermatitis. She can use Benadryl at night as it causes drowsiness and other non sedating antihistaminics like Claritin and Zyrtec . Short courses of oral cortisone or steroids are taken for short periods (one to three days) to settle more severe symptoms.
If the symptoms persist, then she can consult an immunologist. He may start with immunosuppressive drugs. Also then other possibilities have to be ruled out. It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your dermatologist. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.