Dermatology Community
Red, Swollen, Hot Face and Hives
About This Community:

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Red, Swollen, Hot Face and Hives

I have suffered from chronic eczema for most of my life.  I am 46 yr W/F.  I've always been able to keep it under control with periodic Protopic.  I would often go months at a time without a flare.  In April, I was diagnosed with hyopthryroidism (large solid nodule) and started .05 mcg of Synthroid (brand name no dye white pill).  Since then, I've rarely been a day without eczema but it is just on my face and neck - the rest of my body is fine.  I've experienced terrible flares like nothing I've ever had in the past.  The Protopic no longer works - none of the usual rx eczema ointments help.   I've seen an allergist and underwent skin scratch tests and patch tests - all normal. One week ago the derm was worried that I had a little bit of staph growing in the rash on my cheeks and prescribed Cefalexin.  (I've taken this before without incident.)  I took the first dose Friday and went even further down hill. Saturday morning I woke up and my face was very swollen and firey red. I immediately stopped the drug.  By Sunday, my face was even more swollen, eyes very puffy, and weepy eczema on cheeks.  I saw derm on Monday and he was worried.  Start medrol pack late morning on Monday.  Today is day 4 of the medrol pak but I am  only marginally better.  The swelling is 80% gone but my face is bright red and hot. Ice packs give temporary relief.  The skin is quite tight and sore, but no longer rashy.  It's as though I am recovering from a bad burn.  I can't seem to get any moisture into the skin.  Today, I developed slotchy hives on my neck and chest.  I've taken medrol packs in years past and by day 4 my skin would be perfect.  I am convinced all this goes back to the Synthroid but none of the doctors agree.  I see the endo again next week but my calls to his office have convinced me he won't feel there is a connection.  When all this started back in April I cut out caffeine, artificial sweetener, chocolate, acidic foods - I've done everything I can think of to reduce the eczema flare.  The derm, allergist, and endo all seem at a loss.  I know this is a long post,but thanks for reading!