Red, dry patches on face that wont go away

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

I have one dry, red patch in the middle of my forhead and one between my eyes.  What is this and why wont it go away?
Avatar_dr_f_tn

This may be a case of dermatitis. Dermatitis may present with dry patches of skin secondary to use of creams and lotions on the area. This may be a case of xerotic dermatitis wherein a rash may not be very prominent as the skin becomes irritated secondary to exposures to certain irritants.

Do you frequently apply a lotion or cream on your face?

Other differentials would include tinea or fungal infection which may also present as dry patches if the areas do not flare. A central clearing is usually noted in the center of the patch.

Wash the area with a mild cleanser such as Cetaphil. Moisturize with Vitamin E cream and observe if the dry patch improves. If this persists then you may need to have this assessed. You may need topical medications for this.
I apply a dry skin lotion from marykay on the spots.  i have one in each of my eyebrows now.  It will not go away.
Avatar_dr_f_tn

This dry spot, how would you describe this?

Is this a red spot with a clear central scaling ? If yes, then a fungal infection is likely. You may apply vitamin E cream over the area at least twice a day and see if this improves the skin condition. If the skin improves in two days then you may continue applying the moisturizer. If this does not improve then have this further assessed. A fungal infection is likely and a topical medication containing both steroid and antifungal may be of help.