Red, dry rash around mouth?

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Red, dry rash around mouth?

8409192?1349909892
I've had this horrible red rash around my mouth over a week now. It started as just a dry, flaky spot on the lower right side of my mouth but now I have it on both sides and it's itchy, flaky, dry, inflamed and red. There is no pus or anything like that. The corner on the left side of my mouth has a little "tear" because of the dryness. I've tried putting vaseline and other things on it but it doesn't seem to do much. Sometimes it appears to be getting better but then becomes much worse really fast. The rash sometimes leaves a little space between the lips but sometimes goes all the way to the lips. The rash also "moves around" the area around my mouth (mostly below my lower lip but a little above the upper on the sides) but the lips themselves are completely fine (besides the tear on the right corner side of my mouth.)

I've had something similar happen twice before but it wasn't like a red rash. Just dry spots that lasted a while.
From the symptoms it sounds like cheilitis and angular cheilitis at the corners of mouth which are caused by infection. Dry out the lesions completely by patting and air drying after washing with a mild soap and use petroleum jelly to lock out moisture. It is vital that the affected areas be clean and completely dry before application of the jelly. You can also apply small amounts of athlete’s foot cream which is available over the counter. If the symptoms persist then please consult a dermatologist as oral antimicrobials may be needed.
It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

Thank you very much for the response, it's much appreciated. The rash and everything is completely gone now. I tried using both aloe vera and a little bit of locoid 0.1% a few days ago, before I saw this, which I probably shouldn't have done without talking to someone but it seems to have worked.
I am having a similar occurance but my rash is all around my mouth. My angular cheilitis is under control but I cannot get rid of the rash. My lips inside and out are now involved. I don't see any bumps or white splotches. my lips on the inside are like if you ate a jar of pickles the tissue would be. I have tried a cortisone cream, antifungal cream, etc.