Red, itchy, dry rash on eyelids & around lips - no longer eczema?

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

7126957?1312594583
Hi everyone,

For the entire summer, I've been dealing with escalating skin issues. It started out as itchy, irritated skin on my eyelids. I've been to the dermatologist twice and used Locoid Lipocream once a day. Things got a little better but never went away. Then she gave me Mupirocin to use once a day. Same issue - got more manageable, but never went away.

On my own, I've been taking flax oil daily and using pure vitamin E oil on my eyelids and undereye area. Since it was a rollerball application, I also applied it to my lips too. Now the edges of my lips are red and itchy as well. This is what leads me to believe it might be a fungal infection, not eczema. I don't really have any sort of eye issues in terms of ooziness or anything, although when I took anti-itch eye drops, they hurt.

It's not a makeup allergy. I threw out all my old mascara and got a new one that uses natural ingredients. Regardless of whether I wear makeup or not, my eyes look and feel the same. The weather isn't helping. I have a similar looking rash on my elbows. The only things that have helped are gel eye masks. I've been using clean, natural products as much as possible. I haven't been washing my face, and I use 100% jojoba oil on my eyes and lips.

I plan to go to the doctor next week, but it's tough to get an appointment when things are actually bad, and all they do is give me one more eczema cream. It's not going away. I also just graduate from college and this isn't helping me with my job search - I'm afraid that even if I did get an interview, scaly red eyes will prevent me from being hired. It sure doesn't help my confidence.

If anyone has experienced anything like this, please give me ideas I can suggest to the doctor!
It looks like seborrheic dermatitis to me. Seborrheic dermatitis is a common skin condition that causes flaky, dry, white to yellowish scales to form on oily areas esp under the nose or anywhere on face. You can treat flaking and dryness with over-the-counter dandruff or medicated shampoos. Shampoo the hair vigorously and frequently (preferably daily). Active ingredients in these shampoos include salicylic acid, coal tar, zinc, resorcin, ketoconazole, or selenium.

If the symptoms persist, then it would be best to get it confirmed from a dermatologist.
It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

What your photograph shows is typical 'Atopic pleat' or 'Dennie-Morgan fold' found below the eyelid and is very characterstic identification for atopic dermatititis(atopic eczema).
Have a Dermatology question?
100,000+ doctor answers