Red, itchy, dry skin around nose.

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology - rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Red, itchy, dry skin around nose.

I have had a red area on both sides of my nose that is itchy and peels. It's gotten better and is barely visible now but still peels. Before it was very red but now its just slightly pink and goes from the side of my nose to the top of my mouth on both sides. I should also say I was, before I knew it was bad, taking hour long hot showers. Once I stopped my face slowly got better and it seemed to help reduce the redness. What could it be? I've always had a little bit of a dry spot on both sides of my nose but the redness started in June and then went away, reduced to slightly pink, about two weeks ago. Anyone know what this could be?
It can be due to seborrheic dermatitis. Seborrheic dermatitis is a common skin condition that causes flaky, dry, white to yellowish scales to form on oily areas esp under the nose or anywhere on face. Topical antifungals and mild steroids are the usual treatment and combination of the two can be used to treat stubborn patches. Oral antifungal drugs and immunomodulators such as tacrolimus and pimecrolimus are used in very severe cases. The other possibilities are of eczema, lupus erythematosus or dermatitis. Best would be to consult a dermatologist and get biopsy skin done to confirm the diagnosis.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

Avatar n tn
I saw my doctor he wasn't very concerned about it. He told me to use 1% hydrocortisone cream. I wen't out and bought some and in three days it went away. My skin actually looks better then before all of this but now I'm afraid to stop using the cream. I'm going to try and not use it for a while and see if it comes back or not. I would assume if it does the cream will help keep it at bay. Thanks for the info though! (^_^)
The cortisone cream can work but doesn't really solve the problem and can create more problems. I see a lot of sites offering creams and recommending mild soaps and laundry detergents, which help, but ultimately this skin condition is caused by diet and allergic food reactions. When I began looking for healing, I started a simple diet of rice or millet and vegetables, and lots of salads. After the condition clears, gradually begin to add back other foods and see which ones cause the condition to return. Those problem foods must be eliminated from the diet.
Avatar n tn
Hi Annie, I'm thinking that problem foods might be the issue as well. Which foods turned out to be issues for you?