Red, itchy, slightly inflamed, peeling skin on the shaft of my penis.

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

A couple days ago, the day after both oral and vaginal sex, i noticed a moderate red inflamation (inflammation) around the top of the shaft of my penis. This inflamation (inflammation) was slightly sore to touch, and itched a little. The day after, the swelling subsided, but the skin was still warm, still itched, and splotches of peeling skin began appearing around the affected area. Those areas progressively became larger untill they encompassed a one inch thick ring around the tip of my shaft (but ended at the head). This peeling resembles the skin after a mild sunburn more than anything. I rubbed all the dead skin off (probably not as gently as i should have), and no other layers of skin seem to be peeling, but the area is still dry and itchy. This morning i work up, and there is a slightly bleeding crack in the skin, similar to the type that appears on chapped lips. There has been little to no pain throughout the situation. Can someone tell me what this may be?

It could be eczema, sweat dermatitis, allergic reactions or insect bites. Nothing can be said with absolute surety without having a look at the lesions.

You need to wash the areas several times with fresh water. Do not use any cosmetic products at the sites.

Apply calamine lotion at the site of the lesions and see if it helps. You could take some oral antihistamine medications like cetrizine or loratadine. You need to maintain a good personal hygiene .

Anti-itch drugs, often antihistamine, may reduce the itch during a flare up of eczema, and the reduced scratching in turn reduces damage and irritation to the skin.

For mild-moderate eczema a weak steroid may be used (e.g. hydrocortisone or desonide), whilst more severe cases require a higher-potency steroid (e.g. clobetasol propionate, fluocinonide).

Eczema can be exacerbated by dryness of the skin. Moisturizing is one of the most important self-care treatments for sufferers of eczema. Keeping the affected area moistened can promote skin healing and relief of symptoms.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eczema

Let us know if you need any further information.

It would be advisable to consult a skin specialist for your symptoms and a proper clinical examination.

Let us know if you need any other information and post us on how you are doing.

Regards.

i posted a similar post about the exact same symptoms, but i didnt get much help. thank you for helping him cause you also helped me
i have the same think after i have had sex for my first time now its the 5th day and i also get the white skin peeling off im 16 and im scared not to get hiv so what is this infection called  what can i do about it plzzz help me i cant even sleep at night in stressed out
LoL, Youre totally fine man the penis skin is very very sensitive. To much masturbation, or dry masturbation, or vaginal intercourse can definitely slightly inflame the skin around the tip of your penis. I've had this myself a few times over the past 15 years, didnt seem to start until i was in my mid twenties so I guess as you get older your skin gets less resilient. Obviously go get an STD test just to be sure but it sounds like you just have some dry skin on your junk. DONT STRESS OUT!
Have a Dermatology question?
100,000+ doctor answers