Red, itchy area in Corners of Mouth

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Red, itchy area in Corners of Mouth

I am 18 years old, and never made any form of physical contact with ANYONE in my entire life. It should not be anywhere near herpes or anything like that. I am guessing it is a bacterial infection or fungal infection. There is red skin in the corners of my mouth, and it used to crust and crack. But since I started adding anti-fungal creams and antibiotic cream, it no longer cracks but the redness is still there. And now it is starting to itch for some reason, which was not the case before. It is more than just "chapped lips" because this should not be happening. I CANNOT AFFORD to see a doctor, so come up with something more creative than stating the obvious.

What I am using

Antibacterial cream: Top Care Triple Antibiotic Ointment

Anti-fungal cream: Clotrimazole
Tags: red itchy lips mouth corner, red, corner, of, mouth, lips, sore, peeling, Itchy, Skin
These symptoms can be due to perioral dermatitis. Perioral dermatitis like acne is a chronic papulopustular and eczematous facial dermatitis. It mostly effects women and appear around the nose, mouth and eyes. Treatment consists of oral antibiotics and anti-inflammatory drugs. A mild soap or soap substitute, such as Dove or Cetaphil should be used for washing. Scrubbing should be avoided.

Antibiotics like Doxycycline and tetracycline have provided good relief in severe cases and you can get it prescribed from your dermatologist.
I hope it helps. Take care and regards.

Have a Dermatology question?
100,000+ doctor answers