Dermatology Expert Forum
Red, itchy scrotum

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Red, itchy scrotum

I have noticed that that the lower portion of my scrotum is significantly redder than the rest of it, and in fact there is a distict margin between the more reddish portion than the rest of it. The redness is expecially pronounced after I have taken a shower. After I take a shower, the skin on my scrotum adjacent the inguinal crease seems to have a different consistenty that other places on my scrotum. Occasionally, I have severe itching on my scrotum too. At times, the itching is almost unbearable. This condition has existed for about 3 years. I have applied Benedryl on occasion, and it seems to alleviate the itching, yet, the urge to itch never seems to go away.

I have been to several dermatologists, and none can find anything wrong, yet the redness and itching persist.

I have applied anti-fungal salves, but the problem persists.

I have recently been tested for Aids, which was negative.

I am concerned about possible testicular cancer, yet this does not appear to be one of the symptoms.

I am also interested in knowing what medication is best to stop the itching, more importantly, whether there is any cure for my condition.
This does not sound at all like fungus, so fungal salves shouldn't work.  It does not sound like AIDS or an STD.  testicular cancer does not look anything like this.  Chances are this is just redness from previous irritation or scratching.  Redness down in the groin can last quite a long time, longer if the skin is rubbed or scratched.  My advice is to leave the area as much alone as you can, and to ignore the redness.  If several dermatologists have found nothing wrong, then I think you should take them at their word.  If you can't, you should look into counseling to deal with your anxieties.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
What is the best lotion to inhibit the itching?
Benadryl cream helps.  Also Sarna.  Neither needs a prescription.

Dr. Rockoff
I have red irritation on de sides of my thighs moreso after i have walked a lot of sweated or did some activities. And now i also have it on de bottom of ma scrotum. all this redness seems to release some sort of liquid. its more annoying then itchy and could be a little painful at time. Aquaphor helps a little and so does baby powder but it definitely doesnt cure it. Could be as so kind as to give me some useful information to help me with my situation.
-Thnks for your time
A related discussion, itchiy scrotum was started.
A related discussion, itchy scrotum was started.