Red, itchy scrotum

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Red, itchy scrotum

for some time my scrotum has been really sweaty. 3-4 days ago i noticed that a small part of my scrotum had become a bit reddish. i thought it was nothing and waited to see if it would go away but it didn't. i decided to really dedicate to cleaning it and rubbed a lot of soap around my scrotum when i was showering. The next morning i woke up and found out that it had become worse and spread to my whole scrotum. I thought it could be stress because i am a bit stressed lately and waited to see if would get better. that day i also rubbed a lot of soap around it again and went to sleep. today i woke up and found out that it got even worse. it seems to be more intense. the red became stronger and it hurts when i walk (when it bounces). it has a stronger smell than usuall and if start scratching it it really gets itchy. i looked for it on the net but i don't think it is fungus because it is affecting the scrotum (not the folds of the groin) and i don't think it is jock itch because it doesn't have pustules. i reliezed it could be caused by the soap but im not sure. The skin is now sensitive to movment, red, slightly itchy and warmer than it should be. i don't know what to do now... do i pass anything to see if it gets better?? do i just stop using this soap?? please doc... help. if u need any extra information please ask
Tags: scrotum, red, stress, itch, skin], Dermatology
+ the skin seems to be dryer and scaly (im not sure if this is the correct word for what im seeing)... maybe it is eczema
+ it is very dry now... and im not sure but the area that initially got red a couple of days ago is now starting peel off the skin... (i am almost sure it is peeling off)
Avatar_dr_f_tn

I suggest you seeek consult with a dermatologist. This may be a fungal infection and your physician will be able to help you after a complete physical examination.

I suggest you only use bland or hypoallergenic soaps in washing your genital areas. Do not use this soap in washing other parts of the body. Some soaps may be abrasive. Keep the area dry.It is important to wear clean and dry unerpants as to prevent further sweating and itchiness.

Keep us posted regarding your physician's advise.
its not itchy anymore and the whole area now is very dry... way dryer than normal skin. it is painfull to move now... i think this is because the skin is very sensitive. im not sure if this is relavent but it has a strong smell similiar to bread dough. do i leave the skin this dry? is this a sign that it is getting better?
maybe it is not eczema... although it was exposed to environmental irritants (soap), was exposed to water (shower), i have been stressed lately and it was exposed to temperature changes (air conditioner) i dont think there is any history of eczema in my family. there are also no blisters, itching (not anymore) or rashes these would be symptoms of eczema.
i have ichy balls that i noticed ages ago i didnt think is was anythin until my scrotum has went red and i have found a small lump on my right testicul could it be TC ?

and im to scared to tell my parents i dont want to upset them or anything.
dude... i was scared to tell my parents too but i told my dad (altough my mom doesn't know about it)... he called my physician and he prescribed a special soap (for sensitive skin) and diprogenta (a cream). i looked it up on the net and it is good for several problems including eczema.

soon i will say if it worked or not
This sounds like eczema to me. Their seems to be an epidemic of men with eczema on there scrotum. The national eczema society and university dermatological sites claim that only 2 to 3 percent of adults are affected by eczema. When you research this board you will find dozens of cases in the past so many months. 15 million people in the USA  2 percent adults thats 300000. I guess all the men get it on there scrotum or the doctors have no clue. My problem started back in May and never gets better. No cure No treatment that works and no one gives a ---.
Eczema wouldn't smell.
Did you try Lotrimin?   Jock itch looks just like eczema. The fungus causes the same reaction from the skin. Use the cream twice a day for two weeks, even if it gets better.
the cream im using seems to be working... i used it before going to sleep last night and this morning i woke up and the skin isn't sensitive anymore (it doesn't hurt when i walk or do anything) and the skin seems to be less red. the only thing that stayed the same is that the skin is flaking off but i guess once it starts the skin can't recover and stick back to how it was. even the dryness seems to be recovering but not much.