Red, oozing skin on scrotum

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Red, oozing skin on scrotum

My son, age 22 has been an incomplete quadraplegic for 8 years now so needless to say, he is in his wheelchair for 8-12 hours a day.  The problem which just occurred over the last couple of days is this...his scrotum is bright red, warm to the touch and is oozing liquid, some clear, some a greenish yellow...I'm at my wits end!  With people who have spinal cord injuries, depending on the level of injury, they have no sensation when something hurts in the paralyzed region and tonight after getting in the shower, he experienced for a brief time what's known as an "autonomic dysreflexive headache" when the shower water hit his scrotum.  He gently washed the area, then dried it.  After checking the whole area, he noticed that the thigh area next to the fold of skin in the groin area has a bunch of little red bumps.  He keeps saying it's from sweating down there and the area not getting enough air and just being moist but this is the first time his entire scrotum has become bright red and this oozing has me concerned.  He's used neosporin and gold bond medicated powder...doesn't touch this, whatever it is....  Can his regular GP diagnose this or does he need a dermatologist...his derm is usually so busy that you can't see her for 3-6 mos. CAN YOU HELP?????   Thanks, Cathy S.
Tags: red, oozing
Avatar_dr_f_tn

I understand your concern. For cases such as this, then we have to consider a yeast or fungal infection. This may also be a beginning of a pressure sore. Thus, firstly we need to address the infection. Washing the area with warm water, and cleansing it gently with a mild cleanser like Cetaphil will help. Your GP may take samples of the discharge for culture and sensitivity tests. This will help ascertain the organism and will help guide treatment later on. Ask your GP if applying topical antibacterial like Mupirocin may be able to help at this point. It is also important to provide soft cushions and adequate support for your son while seated on the wheelchair. It is important that he should be allowed to lie down or change positions every two hours. Pressure sores may develop from maintaining a single position over prolonged periods. Watch out for fever. If this occurs, immediate consult is necessary.