Red Blotchy dry skin bumps. in scalp
i have red blotchy dry skin bumps on my scalp they are raised. i can feel them with my finger nails. i can pick at them if i want to. they do not hurt in any way. it actually feels good when i itch them and even afterwards its not irritated no burning feeling. i have had this problem for about 5 years. the only thing that helps is Selsun Blue medicated shampoo. it helps for the day that i use it. but after 24 hours its back. i would like to know what is the problem. and i would like a long term solution. something i can do that will make this go away completely. it has never bothered me to much. its just aggravating that i cant get rid of it. please help
These kind of dry skin bumps can be due to seborrheic dermatitis, eczema, seborrheic keratosis or psoriasis. Seborrheic dermatitis is usually caused by overgrowth of Malassezia furfur. This skin disease commonly affects adolescents and young adults, especially in warm and humid climates and is aggravated by sweating and humidity.

Topical antifungals and mild steroids are the usual treatment and combination of the two can be used to treat stubborn patches. Oral antifungal drugs and immunomodulators such as tacrolimus and pimecrolimus are used in very severe cases. Best would be to consult a dermatologist and get biopsy skin done to confirm the diagnosis.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.